Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-I have a Taurus model-66 that was purchased in the mid 90s (Brazilian made) and it has very few miles on it, about 600 or so rounds. The thing is that is seems to misfire/not fire quite a bit. I inherited this gun from my brother who just got sick of having to deal with it and disowned it. Does any body have any suggestions or experience with this type of problem. thing shoots great when it goes "boom."!!!! Also does the lifetime deal include these older models?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Are you using new ammo and what brand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear that the gun is still covered. I have been using new ammo, have tried a few different brands (PMC, Federal, winchester) have had the same luck with them. Any ideas or tips on ammmo?

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
My guess is that you have a firing pin issue and its not hitting the primer hard enough -- I would bet its either the main spring or the pin itself. Call Taurus and ask their engineers opinion

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
First question, do you have any precision measuring tools?
second, if you do can, measure how far out the fireing protrudes from the breech face when the hammer is down
the taurus mod 66 ( and others) are known for haveing the
intergal fireing pin make shallow strikes.
look at the cartriges that where hit but did not fire. compare them to the ones that did fire.
look at some cases fired from a fully functional gun to compare.
It is also possible that the interior of the fireing pin channel may have tool marks on the inside.
Get the appropriate sized punch and tap out the retaining pin (Its small)and remove the fireing pin and look at it.
check the channel it rides in, make shure there isnt any thing that can slow it down when it is hit by the hammer
stone interior smooth and sides of pin flange too just to be shure
dont take off a lot of metal just smooth it up.
If you are brave enough, get a dremel tool and grind down the shoulder a little makeing the fireing pin protrude about twenty five thousands more, it may solve your problem......
if you screw it up and the pin sticks out to far you will peirce the primer and Kablammo
so be careful
I would suggest sending it to Taurus..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 15-20,000 rounds thru my late 80's 66. No problems ever firing a round, do have a hard time extracting full 357 mag loads, cyclinder full extremely hard to get out so I usually only load 3 at a time, 38 special type loads no problem. I sent it back to taurus once, cyclinder barrel gap seems excessive, and cyclinder doesn't lock up a tight as I think it should. Still doesn't, this is my first and only revolver so I'm not sure how tight it should be, but I get what I consider to be excessive cyclinder flash, you don't want to be standing beside me when I shoot it. One of these day I'll take it to a local smith for there opinion. I've lost track of how many rounds I've shot thru it, I used to keep track by the lbs of unique powder I used at over 1000/round per lb. My 357 max contender does hunting duty, so the 66 get's mild loads most of the time. Been a great gun ($167 new satin nickle finsh) so even if I've used it up I got my money's worth.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts