Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Taurus PT-22. Small, lightweight and so on. Does anyone have one? Reasonable accuracy? Reliable? Does anyone have the new polymer PT-22? I just want opinions from those who have one. Should I get one or not? Thanks for the imput!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought one when they first came out in 1992 or so, it was great, very reliable and for it's size surprisingly accurate. Sold it for some reason, recently got another one. This time it had problems right out of the box, took three returns to the factory for light primer strike/misfires (the 3rd time might have been my fault because I was using Remington Golden Dud ammo).
Taurus service was very fast I'll say that, took about a week turn around, it now works perfectly, 100% reliable and just as accurate as my first one.
I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
as much as I like my Taurus'es I'd opt for the Walter p22 on this one or a Ruger Mark lll. I hear good things and bad about the p22

·
Registered
460 Posts
Taurus PT-22

Do yourself a favor and don't get one. I have one and the frame is made of cheap pot metal. The guide that the slide rides on broke off and can't be fixed because it is part of the frame. The gun was never dropped or abused. It never really shot that great when it did shoot. The action is double action only and pretty firm if youre trying to pull it slowly for an accurate shot. I know it's just a pocket pistol for quick use at close ranges but I still would like the option of having a s.a./d.a. trigger. I also have a 9mm semi auto by Taurus that has low mileage on it with a broken rear sight blade that can't be replaced because the factory has had a year backorder on it with no projected stock. Taurus has had a lot of mgt. and quality control issues in the past that are supposedly getting better but still not a gun or a company I would do business with for now. They make a lot of replicas with minor changes of the real thing from major mfrs. that's why their prices are so affordable. If you are looking for a pocket pistol that you may one day have to depend on to save your life you are better off with something more reliable. I have an old Iver Johnson TP-22 that I shoot and it is awesome. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just took my PT-22 out again yesterday.
CCI Minimags and Stingers, 100% reliable, hitting cans 20 yards away like I was a pro. I can't believe how accurate this tiny pistol is.
I love this little gun. Snag free design, fits in the pocket and can't be seen, it's my constant companion now when I go out. If I feel the need, I keep my hand on it in my pocket, and I can draw and fire 9 rounds instantly.
Love my little Taurus.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
The PT-22 would make a viable secondary carry (Back-up) gun, but little more.
I own two Taurus semi's and have had them for about 15 years with no issues from either; but they are medium and large framed.

The Walther P-22 in the short barrel configuration is as finicky about ammo as any gun I've ever known; the 5" configuration functions fine. I own 3 of these...love the feel and fit...2 with 5" barrels, one with 3.6" barrel. The short one just takes up space in my safe. These are not pocket guns, however, and should not be compared to the PT-22 (or equivalent sized pea-shooters).
I know this is more than you wanted to know or asked so again I'll state the Taurus PT-22 would make a good back-up to your standard carry gun.

You will find that your options for .22 cal pocket guns are limited and the shorter the barrel the more you MAY have problems.

Avoid standard velocity ammunition for these small shooters.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the links, I read them. I was hoping someone had some experience with the new PT22 in polymer. I like the smooth grips better than the checkered ones. Still not sure if I want to drop the money on one. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We own several Taurus pistols. ALL have been great guns. NOT perfect (exept for the .357 Mag ported snubbie)
My wifes PT732 Pink in .32 ACP is picky about hard primers. Fiochii FMJ ammo for plinking and MagTec for SHTF nightstand use and all is 100% well and good.
As to my PT22, the one I have is old. (1997 vintage)
I bought it used KNOWING it had feeding, fireing AND ejection problems! I bought it super cheap just to see IF I could fix it's problems.
And fix it I did.
I used a .225" steel dowel rod & "Reformed" the top ears on the magazene & that stoped all the stovepipeing problems. (Could have just bought a new mag, yes, but I allready had the .225" rod in the shop & this repair was FREE! lol )
I then took my Dremell tool and a buffing wheel & some cheap white toothpaste & buffed the inside of the slide where it rides on the frame rails and the frame rails themselves till they were slick as glass. I then put a new pencil eraser into the end of my drill and used some valve grinding compound we had here at work & pollished the feed ramp. I swapped out the eraser & installed a .22 cal cleaning brush, dipped it in the same valve grinding compound & pollished the chamber to a mirror finish.
All of the above work took only about 1 hr. to do.
The last part of the PT22 repair had to be a part orderd from Taurus.
It is the plastic guide bushing where the slide touches the barell. I got 3 of them from Taurus for $13.00 shipping & all. The bushings, as I was told by the nice man at Taurus customer service, will need to be replaced "About every 500 rounds". But heck, 3 for $13.00. I can handle that! It is a MANTENENCE ITEM. Just like the tires on your car. It is NOT a problem of a bad desighn.
To blame Taurus for having to need to replace this bushing every so often would be like blaming Ford/Chevy/Dodge etc. for building a BAD TRUCK because the TIRES wear out every 50,000 miles!
GET REAL! lol !!!!
In hindsight, I now have very little money in a VERY reliable, neat, awesome little pocket gun.
I would, and DO, reccomend getting one!
Would I trust my life to it? ABSOLUTLY NOT! (That's what the KelTec P11 is for!)
BUT, you mentioned NOTHING about using this for a carry gun! lol
They are an AWESOME farm / woods gun. So tidy & light you can easily forget it is even there! lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was thinking about getting a Taurus PT-22. Small, lightweight and so on. Does anyone have one? Reasonable accuracy? Reliable? Does anyone have the new polymer PT-22? I just want opinions from those who have one. Should I get one or not? Thanks for the imput!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my pt22 two weeks ago. After the 100 round break-in I have had no jams or misfires. I had three jams in the first 100. I like the CCI mini mags best. So far I have put over 300 rounds through this little pistol, I would recommend it. My normal conceal carry is a J-frame revolver so the trigger pull on the pt22 is not an issue. The trigger pull seems to get smoother the more I fire it. The tip up barrel is a great feature if you have arthritis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one. The trigger pull takes some getting use to but other than that it is a great little pistol. On the range you get tired after about 50 rounds. You need 100 rounds to break it. I had three misfeeds in the break in session and none since then. I have put about 500 rounds thru mine and I clean the barrel and ramp after every 100 rounds or so. The CCI minimags work the best for me. As far as accuracy goes, the minimags will give me a 5” spread at 25’.
It is a good size for a pocket pistol, easy to conceal. I would recommend this pistol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks to all who offered opinions.
I don;t have a PT-22, but I do have a TX 22, and it is great! It's a larger handgun, but has a lot more features than the PT-22. I have let a lot of people try it, and they all liked it. Had to wait a long time to get it, on today's market, but it was well worth the wait. I think if you try it, you'll want to take it home. It fits my big hands real well, and the accuracy is good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody else got one? Thanks for the reply
I don;t have a PT-22, but I do have a TX 22, and it is great! It's a larger handgun, but has a lot more features than the PT-22. I have let a lot of people try it, and they all liked it. Had to wait a long time to get it, on today's market, but it was well worth the wait. I think if you try it, you'll want to take it home. It fits my big hands real well, and the accuracy is good.
Junk,Trash , Poop, This gun will fall apart in your hands after a shooting session. It has happened to me twice. It has turned into an expensive paper weight! If one wants to shoot this gun every 6 months and run through 10 rounds it's for you. Taurus will fix it for free, that does not make it a quality gun !!!!!! I want my money back , very low quality, will not hold up to an extended session, should be taken off the market. Very unhappy with h piece of garbage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How does the polymer material affect the whole firearm?

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
PT-22 generally a copy of the Beretta 21A but with a few design changes.
Personally I think the 21A is a better gun. I've owned 3 over the years without troubles. Although when they redid the 21A I do wish they'd went to higher profile sights like on the PT-22.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The PT-22 would make a viable secondary carry (Back-up) gun, but little more.
I own two Taurus semi's and have had them for about 15 years with no issues from either; but they are medium and large framed.

The Walther P-22 in the short barrel configuration is as finicky about ammo as any gun I've ever known; the 5" configuration functions fine. I own 3 of these...love the feel and fit...2 with 5" barrels, one with 3.6" barrel. The short one just takes up space in my safe. These are not pocket guns, however, and should not be compared to the PT-22 (or equivalent sized pea-shooters).
I know this is more than you wanted to know or asked so again I'll state the Taurus PT-22 would make a good back-up to your standard carry gun.

You will find that your options for .22 cal pocket guns are limited and the shorter the barrel the more you MAY have problems.

Avoid standard velocity ammunition for these small shooters.
True about the walther p22 i fired cci mag on it to break it in as many recommended man was i disappointed .I know you have to break it in but dang it really pissed me off .Had to catch my breath and holster the thing , hopefully the second time around will be a little better than jamming for every two rounds ejection was a Serious problem .Wish me luch or any advice on ammo any thing will help .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts