Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of Taurus's guns are derived from another design. Examples include revolvers based on S&W, auto pistols based on Beretta, and of course, their own version of the 1911.

The 24/7 and Millennium Pro appear to be original designs, and the Tracker revolvers too. And even the guns based on other designs are still developed further so that Taurus has something unique to offer, except of course with the 1911.

But what about the PT911 and PT940, PT945, and PT38 series?

Visually they show some resemblance to S&W auto pistols, but they also remind me of SIG.

Anyone know where their design came from or have any major observations of what they're similar to?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Nobody know anything?

Took another look and was surprised by what I found.

It looks like the whole PT911 and PT909 series is based on the Beretta-based PT-92 by looking more closely at the controls and contours. Seems they're all on the same basic frame design, with the PT911 and PT909 having the same barrel and slide and the PT909 and PT92 having the same frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taurus PT 92

Hello,
I often hit the target low with my 9mm Taurus PT 92. I think the problem is the way I aim at the sights, the rear sight is cannot be ajusted.
Thank for the response.
Megasport,

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my hands on a Taurus 2007 Catalog and they refer to their mid sized pistols as smaler versions of their full sized ones. So that seems to answer that question. It would be great if mags were interchangeable, at least the bigger ones fitting in the smaller guns.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Got my hands on a Taurus 2007 Catalog and they refer to their mid sized pistols as smaler versions of their full sized ones. So that seems to answer that question. It would be great if mags were interchangeable, at least the bigger ones fitting in the smaller guns.
Indeed they do refer to their mid-sized as smaller versions, but the inside of the PT911 is completely different than the PT92, the most obvious difference being no locking block.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,289 Posts
Beretta. Other than the designation (92) and even without the exposed barrel, look at the takedown lever. Just has the safety in the wrong place.

Fairly certain 145 (24-7) is orignal design, with initial trigger to mimic the LDA with restrike capability.

·
Banned
124 Posts
i dont know if this is the place to post this but my gun dealer told me that there is a tarus that can fit in to beretta m9 holsters the holsters i have is a serpa dropleg and a spec ops drop leg

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i dont know if this is the place to post this but my gun dealer told me that there is a tarus that can fit in to beretta m9 holsters the holsters i have is a serpa dropleg and a spec ops drop leg
Yes, that's the PT92/99, BUT watch out for the newer versions that have the big flat equipment rail on the bottom of the frame, that may be a problem. My new PT911 won't begin to slide into the holster my PT92 used, too thick at the bottom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:feedback::feedback::feedback:
Most of Taurus's guns are derived from another design. Examples include revolvers based on S&W, auto pistols based on Beretta, and of course, their own version of the 1911.

The 24/7 and Millennium Pro appear to be original designs, and the Tracker revolvers too. And even the guns based on other designs are still developed further so that Taurus has something unique to offer, except of course with the 1911.

But what about the PT911 and PT940, PT945, and PT38 series?

Visually they show some resemblance to S&W auto pistols, but they also remind me of SIG.

Anyone know where their design came from or have any major observations of what they're similar to?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Far as I know, the 900 series Taurus pistols were designed from the ground up by Taurus and are not based on any other model. They certainly are not a smaller version of their PT92, even though that's how Taurus describes them on their site. The insides are completely different.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the ball rolling on a 909. It was a tough decision between it and something else (Bersa Thunder 9 Fullsize) but I concluded that there would be more support for the Taurus in the case of an O-ban-a.

It almost takes the same magazines as the '92/'99, but it seems that the barrel position is a little bit lower on the 909. The magazines fit inside just as well but the mag catch notch is a little bit higher on the 909 mag. The mags look otherwise identical. I compared the two side by side.

So I'm going to see if it's at all possible to manufacture/modify a second mag release assembly to use the 92/99 mags. That way no mods to the mags would be needed. Alternatively, machining the notch higher should make 92/99 mags fit the 909. Whatever the case, I'm not going to screw with the frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What holsters if any, have you found that fit the 909? I've put around 600 rounds through mine without a hiccup. I love this mid-size pistol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is the Taurus 909 series "straight blowback" or do they use the Browning "locked breech?" In the Taurus catalog, they "look like" they are locked breech? I'd really like to see one, or be able to hold it in my hand. If it's "locked breech" action, I want one!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Is the Taurus 909 series "straight blowback" or do they use the Browning "locked breech?" In the Taurus catalog, they "look like" they are locked breech? I'd really like to see one, or be able to hold it in my hand. If it's "locked breech" action, I want one!
They're locked breech.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 909, 911, and such do indeed have the Browning cam tilting barrel system. For reference, Ruger and 1911 have a link tilting barrel. Berettas have a system where the barrel doesn't tilt but a locking piece swings out of the way, related somewhet to a Walther P38/P1.

I did finally get to shoot the 909, and it fired flawlessly. Not as smooth as I may have hoped, but it works. Need to work on accuracy, not sure if it's the gun or me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just picked up the 24/7 Pro and am really liking it so far. VERY comfortable to shoot, 17+1 mag capacity, tac rail, and ergonomic grips. It's one of the first pistols in 9mm that my wife is able to shoot comfortably (she has small hands, and has bad wrists from a previous injury).

Pretty smooth shooter IMO.

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I have a Millennium .45 and a Titanium .357 snub that I like a lot. Also owned and sold a 9MM Millennium that I have regreted selling since the minute it was gone. I've never shot a Taurus I didn't like. We all know it's not a Colt, Springfield or Kimber but also doesn't cost nearly as much. Taurus is, in my opinion, teh best lower priced gun out there. I also like Kel-Tec in that price range but I think I'd take a Taurus over a Kel-Tec if forced to pick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts