Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting better and better with this pistol as I slowly get rid of flinchitus.:) And I like the fact it fires .45 Colts, too.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I had one, the 6.5 in version, it shot extremely well, and would really hammer deer or hogs. I like the Ruger Super Redhawk better, though.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somehow I just couldn't resist at the range Sunday. The guy in the stall next to me was teaching his wife/girlfriend/sistor (I don't know which) how to shoot. I decided this was a good time to shoot some Raging Bull. That girl jumped so far back when if fired it off! And continued till I finally took pity on her and switched to .22.:scool:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Don't be scaring off the new shooters! I have been thinking about getting a .454. Just can't quite figure out what for though. Maybe I should just get one and figure out that last part later.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You get it for fun.

Unless you're hunting rhinos or elephants...or maybe really large bears, like Kodiaks or also moose.

But it is an awful lot of fun.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always have the, what if I'm camping in bear country excuse.:scool:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Never know when a hippo may charge you from that ol Illinois river gandog yew has to be prepared LOL

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the Ruger Super Redhawk better, though.

So did I, but the fact I could get the Taurus 100 bucks cheaper kind of swung the deal.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never know when a hippo may charge you from that ol Illinois river gandog yew has to be prepared LOL

Not to mention zombies from Chicago.

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
ive got one on the way myself.
it will be used only for dispatching the robot mole people.
they are tough muthas!

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
and if i ever run into an enraged cape buffalo........hey! it COULD happen!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Between the zombie situation that is imminent and the robot mole people... I need more bullets...bigger bullets too. Maybe a Barret is in my future

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
40mm quad mount in the back of my pickup. Damn those robot mole men full speed ahead!

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
Between the zombie situation that is imminent and the robot mole people... I need more bullets...bigger bullets too. Maybe a Barret is in my future
this handgun may be a little too light.
im thinking we need penetration through a couple feet of earth.
when you see a hump of earth rising and its too big for a gopher..... thats right! robot mole men!!!:bigeyes:

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
boy thats a mole gettin son of a seabiscuit!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Well I got the S&W .460 why? because it handles 3 diffrent calibers. I'm not going after rinos, elephants, Kodiack bears and grizzlies any time in the forseeable future I bought it for fun!
By the way can anyone suggest an internet source for .454- .460 solid copper-plated bullets in the 250, 255, 260 weight range? All I can find are hollow points.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well I got the S&W .460 why? because it handles 3 diffrent calibers. I'm not going after rinos, elephants, Kodiack bears and grizzlies any time in the forseeable future I bought it for fun!
By the way can anyone suggest an internet source for .454- .460 solid copper-plated bullets in the 250, 255, 260 weight range? All I can find are hollow points.
Define solid copper plated. Rainier makes a 250 grain flat point. But I prefer a 300 grain for my Casulls. I can fire 250 grainers out of .45 Colt cases. Masterblastersbullets have been promising to come out with a moly coated 250 grain RNFP, but I have been waiting a long time and still don't see them.

Berry's Bullets makes a 250 grain FP LC.

Forget it, both the Berry's and the Rainiers are sized .451"

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Solid: Adj. 1. relatively firm or compact; neither liquid or gaseous. 2. not hollow etc.
Copper-plated: A thin cooper sheathing over the 20-1 lead core.
The .460 has a "gain-twist" barrel which means that the projectile starts with a slow spin that increases as the projectile heads down the barrel. If I remember rightly the twist of the .460 increases from 1 in 100 to 1 in 20.
I found that even with my mid-range .45 LC reloads slight leading occurs in the barrel when fired from this revolver. I can only guess at the amount of lead that would be deposited in the barrel if I approched the maximum(magnum) powder loads allowed with this revolver. That is why I'm looking for "solid" copper sheathed lead bullets.
Not that I intend to "push the envelope" by shooting more than the Maximum recommended loads my loads are always well below the top load and above the minimum recomended loads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts