Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am former Taurus Hater,who now owns 2,and has one on the way.
I would like to start a conversation as to why.

Taurus in 1941 was bought out by Bango Ponta,Owner of Smith and Wesson.They made an improved copy of the S And W at a reasonable price.
If you could get a Taurus made pre_1974 you had a great gun.Hand fitted and finished.
Taurus price dropped a little when they bought Beretta plant in 1974. Price started to climb and quality took a slight dip as they were now mass producing.Basically, customers were buying a great name and an good gun.
In 1980 they bought the rest of Beretta including the designs. Tightened up quality on revolvers. Started making a few new semi auto guns off the Beretta designs, and better quality revolvers.Taurus was the gun to buy between 1980 and 1985.
After that they started raising price, once again disappointing loyal Taurus owners.Customer service started to degrade in the 90's, along with quality.While price still climbed.This seamed to be a slowly progressive trend until 2014. When Taurus was overwhelmed with lawsuits and unhappy customers.The 90's is the era I had my problems with Taurus, and developed my dislike for them.:mad:

However in 2015 Taurus was acquired by CGC ,the makers of several brands of good, Cheap target ammo. (ie.Seller and Belloit).
THEY HAVE DROPPED THE PRICE. Redesigned and improved their guns.
Taken care of leagle issues, and improved customer service.
The new and improved products, and the Company has proved their self over the last 3 years.
JUST THINKING THAT THE TAURUS MADE DURING THE LATTER PART OF THIS DECADE,MAY END UP BEING THE FUTURE SOUGHT AFTER TAURUS.
JUST LIKE THE PRE 74'S, and the 80 to 85 models.
MIGHT BE TIME TO BUY BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP.

· Since 03-15- 2002
28,272 Posts
That gives me an understanding. Other than the 870 I had as a youngster, I started spending good money on guns around 88 or so. By the time Tauri got it together, per the undisputed time line you provided. I had no need for the product line, well, yet ;)

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PER MORE RESEARCH ,Correction on above history....
Taurus bought the Berretta production facilities in Brazil, in1974. They kept a large amount of the employees who worked
there.
They later bought a large amount of patent , manufacturing, rights from Berretta. In the 80'S.
They did not buy Berretta as a whole. Berretta is still an independant Italian gun maker with facilities all over the world.
HOWEVER, they could be considered sister companies, by some definition. As They have a relationship trading ideas, patents and prosseses over the years.
also... made a type o Its CBC not cgc that bought them.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What if any are your thoughts ,if any, on the new use of a copy of Berrettas Tenifer process on The Taurus Revolvers. I personally ordered a new revolver of late and was expecting the rich bluing.But I understand the new process is a lot better, easier to care for,and more corrosion resistant, since it is a form of case hardening.
To me it makes it look more tactical than iconic.
I also believe,it is a cost cutting measure.Could be the reason I could still get a Taurus 66 for under $400 TTOTD.
Time will tell.

· Registered
36,571 Posts
I really never had a problem with a Taurus. My first big bore pistol was a Taurus Model 66, which I bought.....oh....maybe 40+ years ago. I gifted it to a nephew not that long ago, and it's STILL running. In that 40 years of service, the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace a spring in the crane, and lok-tite the screw holding it in. Not bad for a supposedly bad brand. Now it was a revolver, I heard most of their quality problems were with their semi-auto pistols. Because the 66 was so good, I bought their Raging Bull in .454 Casull. I have had no problems with it. But not all that long ago I bought a Taurus 1911. It has gone bang every time I pull the trigger so far.
Of course, I dressed it up a little....

· Registered
12,716 Posts
you missed the part where they bought Rossi who was actually making the revolver copies on the old S&W equipment.
and the part where they screwed up the Rossi levergun's reputation through mis-cutting [pregnant] chambers, making oversized barrels, having super spotty quality control, and arbitrarily changing twist rates.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
you missed the part where they bought Rossi who was actually making the revolver copies on the old S&W equipment.
and the part where they screwed up the Rossi levergun's reputation through mis-cutting [pregnant] chambers, making oversized barrels, having super spotty quality control, and arbitrarily changing twist rates.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT!
THIS WAS BEFORE THE 2015 CBC TAKE OVER, AND REVAMPING. In 1997 Taurus bought the rights to several Rossi revolvers.IT WAS IN 2008,WHEN TAURUS BOUGHT ROSSI.
It was around 2011 when Rossi had the most feeding issues with the lever actions.
WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH ON THE ROSSI ANGLE MYSELF. TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF THIS ON AGAIN, OFF AGAIN QUALITY THING.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ABOUT CBC straight from the web sight.
CBC Brazil is one of the largest ammunition manufacturers in the world, with expertise in production of small and medium calibers, since 1926. Its wide range of products is exported to over 100 countries and attends to the needs of military, law enforcement and commercial markets.
CBC offers the most comprehensive range of handgun cartridges in the industry - which are sold under the renowned brand Magtech Ammunition - and complete families of military calibers such as 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm, 12.7x99mm (.50), 20mm and 30mm. After two decades of heavy investments in technology, CBC is equipped with state-of-the art production facilities, including the most modern manufacturing lines for center fire cartridges currently available.
Offering a consistent combination of excellent quality, service and flexibility, CBC has become one of the major providers of ammunition to NATO countries, police forces and sport shooters worldwide. Its competitive advantages derive from its high levels of productivity, solid supply chain management and a fully integrated manufacturing process. CBC produces all the ammunition components used in its products, including powder, primers, cases and projectiles - guaranteeing with that a high level of cost efficiency and timely order fulfillment.
CBC has two production units in Brazil, located in the states of São Paulo and Rio Grande do Sul. The holding company also owns the German manufacturer MEN and the Czech producer Sellier&Bellot (with a distribution center in Germany).

· Registered
36,571 Posts
SO I TAKE IT THE NEW FINISH IS HOLDING UP FINE FOR YOU. LOOKS NICE!:usa2:
I donno, that's a pic of it brand new out of the box, never been shot yet. My old one was a highly polished blue that of course highlighted every greasy fingerprint. This looks like not so easily spotted.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
I could possibly track down more of the Rossi story.
but it wouldn't include their revolvers so much.

anyway I have a theory about their lever guns.
they are one of the few things out there that you can judge a book by it's cover.
if the wood is nice and the metal fits well you have a 99.9% chance of getting a good out of the box rifle.
I'm about convinced they send each assembler enough parts to build a few rifles each morning and they build each one from start to finish.
the better more experienced assemblers get the straighter barrels and such and are expected to turn out more rifles per day.

this is just my feelings and probably bear no resemblance to how they actually operate.

· Registered
12,716 Posts
I have a later LSI.
a Navy Arms.
an Alexandria VA.
and a couple of others, one pre-dates import marks but isn't a Puma.
one is after the frst go-round with LSI but I don't remember the importer.
it has the painted dot sights and a bent front sight [on the barrel band] so that the dots line up.:eek:
shoots good though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.