Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good 9mm in the 300-450 dollar range. I have many guns that include .45's, .38 specials, .40 cals... But I have never really "wanted" a 9mm until now. I just figured that I should somewhat complete my handgun selection by getting an affordable, yet reliable 9. My local gun dealer sells a brand new S&W Sigma 9mm for $299.00 and I was interested mainly in the price...Does anyone own one that could fill me in? If they aren't a good choice I also like the Taurus and Springfield XD. These are just a little more pricy but I'm sure they are worth the buck. Does anyone have any feedback on why the Sigma 9mm would be a bad Idea? It's not for concealed carry, I have my G30 .45 for that...I just want a 9 that I can use at a range or for the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I have heard consistent bad reports about the Smith Sigma, and my handling experience of them has given me zero desire to ever own one.

Taurus makes several 9mm handguns, which were you interested in?

The Springfield XDs receive consistently good reports and from what I understand are a great value.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the model is the Taurus PT 24/7-9SSP-17. I hear its great gun but I'm looking for the best quality for my dollar. So Maybe this is the one. But the XD is also great. Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Triplesixkoe...you can't go wrong with the Springfield XD in 9mm. Mine's a Sub Compact bought for CCW...but otherwise I'd recommend a full length barrel.

It's got great balance, device which easily indicates when it's cocked, holds 11 rounds, lightweight, nice grip size, and easy to strip down for cleaning. :nod:

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys..now here is another question highly regarding my decision. What are your opinions on the Baby Desert Eagle 9mm?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
That's another very good choice...especially for concealment...if your hands can handle the smaller grip.:nod:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Don't get the Sigma!! I had one and it was the worst gun I ever owned/shot. I had it for two days before I sold it and never looked back.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
This would be the first I'd ever heard anything negative about the XD. Everything I have read to date is excellent.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Those Glock style pistols aren't really my style, but the XD is definatley the one I'd get if was to buy one. They make one in .357 sig right? If so, I may have to look into that.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have heard nothing but bad things about Sigma's - no personal experience.

I had a Taurus 24/7 9mm for about a month. Didn't like it at all. Functioned 100%, accuracy was average (more or less), but the trigger sucked. I can't really explain it, but I just didn't like the way it shot. Traded it for a Glock.

I had a Springfield XD that I really liked. I would recommend it with no reservations. I wound up giving it (XD-40) to my father-in-law. Long story and we Won't go there!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I have made my decision...After being to a few gun dealers I decided not to get any of the guns previously discussed. Although they are great and all...I just decided to go with all steel. First off(no offense to any Sigma owners) I though the Sigma was the biggest piece of junk I've seen. The trigger must have taken like 16 lbs of pull! I couldn't see myself with a sigma. I just figured not to get a polymer gripped pistol, and I went with a Taurus PT 92 Decocker model. I found a nice one and I already bought mother of pearl grips for it. Maybe I'll post a pic of it later, I would now but Florida's !!!! 3 day "cooling off" waiting period is preventing that. Anyways, I found a decent 9mm that I'm sure I'll love. Thanks for the Input...Any thoughts on my pick?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Triplesixkoe...glad you finally found something you like. Now go out and practice, practice, practice, practice.:right:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts