TC barrel question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cheeg54674, May 15, 2008.

1. cheeg54674

cheeg54674 Guest

I have had a Thompson contender for years and bought a new (to me) .357 barrel to complement my .44 and .22 barrels. i mounted it and closed the barrel (with out bullets). when to open to load and it wouldn't release. disassembled (and still fighting the spring for the hammer, another story) and found the locking bolt on the barrel was different and not a lot different but enough to notice. i am not sure i the difference the locking bolts is my stupidity in purchasing the wrong barrel (ment for the G2 or Encore) and/or i can replace the locking bolt (provided it is sold) or did i just get a bad barrel locking bolt? any ideas would be much appreciated. and if you got any hints on setting the spring without purchasing special set of plyers that would be great.

Chris

2. hunterspistol

hunterspistol Guest

Have 3 of those-so, yes I've done this. The locking bolts that come back from the barrel have a slight incline sometimes-and a little groove(that's the part of it that wants to catch and lock shut. This isn't good practice but, I sometimes take a small pad of emery cloth and sand the sharpness from the top edges and that edge that actually slides down the firing pin plate-the rear edge. If you'll oil it up more than normal and use some choke tube lube on the trigger points(inside the frame on each side-they unlock it) you can check it until it opens correctly. I typically shoot 40 round matches so, the trigger points, those little wedges on the inside of the frame always get lubed. You can also use a point file or lightly sand the underside of the frame where the barrel lugs snap in, just enough to take off the excess finish getting in your way. Silhouette shooters sometimes hot-rod their pistols like this, we use tuned pistols. What you are descibing is a common occurence, I do this stuff all the time. TC will actually send you new springs and parts on request-for free. The hammer spring, we cut a small piece of brass rod just long enough to start through the pin holes on both sides(using a diameter rod smaller than the pin) and place the spring on that, start in in the second side and then, start the pin through, tapping the little rod out of the way. So, you can hang your spring in place and tap the pin through. Ron's Firing Line