close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

teaxs pete.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dodge, Mar 19, 2002.

1. the hot sauce calld "teaxs pete" goes well with almost anything, it's a mild hot, which is good if you put a little to much on. of course tabasco cant be beat!;)

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Well I have to tell you guys about my favorite "quick" seafood gumbo... pre-cooked peeled crawfish or shrimp, Delmonte Mexican style tomatoes, long grain rice, cut okra (precooked), and green Tobasco sauce (with light salt)... heated as a stew in a pot... GREAT STUFF!

Jesse

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Tobassco is the best all around, no matter what you are eating, I find my self putting than more than anything, but the green stuff just doesnt do a good heat, but it is sweet some of the time when I want it to be.

4. red devil?

ever had "RED DEVIL" brand hot sauce??, I dont even know if thay make it any more, but it's fire alright!;)

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Dave's Insanity is like nuclear... it's sold in Louisiana. A thermos of ice and a pound of bread won't even come close. Hard to swallow when your tongue's burned off!

Jesse

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Red Devil was made by Trappeys. It is not as hot as Tabasco. I have not seen it lately. If you want hot, you need to go with the habanero sauces. Something like Jamaica Hellfire or El Yucateco habanero sauce. Tabasco makes a a habanero sauce, but it is pretty tame compared to the others. Chipotle pepper sauces are also pretty good. Chipotles are Mexican smoked jalapenos.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2002
  7. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Hey guys (and gals),
    I make my own hot sauce and it is VERY simple. I use equal parts of Jalapinos and Habeneros. I remove the stems and leave all else. I put them in an Osterizer or food processor with just enough vinegar to keep them moving. When chopped to fine consistency, I add a touch of salt and sugar (to taste). It is as good as hot sauce gets, easy and cheap. Want it hotter? Use more Habenaros......... if wanted milder, use more Jalapinos and/or scrape the little vains out of the Habenaros and discard the vains......... they contain the "heat". BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH YOUR EYES (or private parts!!!!) after handling the peppers and WASH YOUR HANDS WELL WITH SOAP AND WATER!!!!
    By the way, sometimes I roast the peppers on a grill before chopping, and it gives a "softer", richer (but still HOT) flavor.
    Happy Trails and safe shootin' and eatin'
    Jeffro (Jeff)

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Welcome back Jeffro! We were starting to miss you!

9. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Grilled peppers are like great if you know what you are doing...but I agreee too hot i when you down half a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk

10. Jeffro....I make my own hotsauce most of the time too but here in Texas we have so many choices in the grocery store, its hard to resist.

My favorites as far as "American" hot sauce goes are...

1. Tabasco (I even visited the factory down in the swamps of La.)
    2. Bulliards Louisiana Supreme (a cheap alternative to Tabasco)
    3. Trappeys Jalapeno Sauce (when you want flavor but NO hot)
    4. Franks Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce

and........

For a totally different twist try vietnamese style "Tuong Ot Sriracha" made in California and sold everywhere....even back in East Germany where I first tried it! This stuff makes burning-out your larynx FUN!

11. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Hey Klaus, how are you doing? All this new "high tech stuff on this new format had me intimidated for a while, but I think I am catching on. Good to hear from you.
    Hey, I'll have to try those suggestions, Cranky-Kraut and Klaus. I love that hot stuff, but my stomach is getting old faster than I am, so can't do it as much as I would like, but still do partake!!!!!!!
    Best to all............ Jeffro (Jeff)

12. Hot sauce recipe

Excellant recipe. Being a good Ukrainian boy I threw a good heap of garlic in mine and just a little liquid smoke. Turned out just luverally!
    You are right about washing your hands well. I had just rinsed mine a little under the tap before using the boy's room, and obviously soap and water, and a vigorous scrubbing ARE required. I think I'll be out of action for a few days if ya know what I mean ;)

13. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

TARAS,
    You are so right about the garlic!! That is one of the variations which I sometimes use, and it does add a great touch. Speaking of touch, hope all is O.K. after your "unfortunate incident" with not thoroughly washing your hands. It could have been worse. You could have "gone to bed" and touched the wrong person in the wrong place with the pepper oil still on your hands............... you would be "sleeping in the garage" for the rest of time!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :( :( :( :mad:
    Best to ya', and have a great holiday,
    Jeffro (Jeff)

14. I'm getting acid-indigestion just reading the posts. R O L A I D S
    lol

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Still like my Franks Louisiana Hot sauce on a NRAJOE special pizza... dbl. cheese, dbl. anchovies, bacon, ham, onions and banana peppers! ooooweeee dats goooooood!

16. Out here in the southwest it seems like everybody makes their own hot sauce and everyone has their own opinion as to what is the best. I have 3 different home made sauces in the fridge right now. My pet peeve with hot sauce is this...if I can taste the vinegar, I dont like it. I have grown my own chilis and grafted tomato and chili plants together to make a spicy tomato. Good stuff. I once had some habenero salsa that was called Viper Venom. This jar lasted over a year and was still about half full when I threw it away. This stuff was unbelievably hot. It could have been classified as a poison. No taste other than hot. And the heat would last and last in your mouth. I like the good old fashioned chopped red, yellow and green chilis. No habanero for me. I like my stomach lining were it is.