Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to know. You guys rave about them. What are they, how much are they, what type of ammo, how much is the ammo, etc. I'd never heard of a Mosin until I came to this forum. What's their history. I hear that they are addicting. Are they accurate? Is it an addiction like the Lee-Enfield that my pops gave me?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
a virgin!!! heh, heh, heh,heh

oneastrix- the Mosin-Nagant was one of the great battlerifles of the last century, and one of the great bargains of this century!!! they were adopted by Czarist Russia in 1891, and used up to the 1950's in various modifications and models. you can find them at gunshops, pawn shops, some store called BIG 5, internet auctions. condition is all important as with any mil/surp, the better shape the more they cost. i got a arsenal refurb M91/30. all matching, bayonet, sling, ammo puch, oiler bottle, absolutly gorgeous for$122 plus s&h. ammo isn't hard to find, power is some where between.308 winny and 30-06. a 440rd can is under $50. plus s&h. www.gunboards.com and its links has lotsa good info. get yourself a copy of the ShotGun News to get an idea of whats out there. you will not regret it!!!:nod:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
1* - Mosins are great. Best buy for the money in a full-power battle rifle. The Finnish are generally the most accurate, but you can't beat the fun of the sheer mind-numbing blast of the short-barreled carbines (M38, M44 and M91/59), many of which are still avaiilable in pristine unissued condition. There are enough model and variations to make collection interesting - far more than with Enfields, though less so than with Mausers. With the modest cost, you could try one, knowing that if you don't care for it, you can certainly get your money back in re-sale. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Having a recent interest in older military weapons, I got a CG M1986, M44, and the M48A.

I enjoy shooting all of them...fer sure.

Each has it's own personality, much like a woman, lol.

The MN is BLAST to shoot and the pun is intended.

I got the MN for $65 (includes tax) and I bought Winchester ammo for about $10.95 a box. Other, cheaper, brands of ammo can be had but I got Winchesters because that's what they had at the time and I knew they were non-corrosive.

Get yerself one...two....three....four.....who knows, lol.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah heck, I missed the gun show, it was in town this past weekend. There'll be another one the first weekend of next month. In the meantime, I'll grab a shotgun news and see what I can find.... Thanks guys.....

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What caliber should I look for. I have no specific use in mind for it. Just want a BIG BANG! I want people on the left and right of me at the range to look over at me like Im psycho for shooting it! LOL

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, are those carbines good for throwing in the truck when I'm out on the ranch. Looks like you could ding one up and not worry a whole lot about it. I use a Win94 30-30 right now for that purpose, but Im going to refinish it for my boy soon.

Wondering if those carbines would be good hog/white tail on the spur of a moment guns?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
they are most often found in 7.62X54r russian. a few were converted by Poland to 8mm Mauser, but their rare and costly, and some were converted to 30-06 by Bannerman and Sons in the 1920's this is STRICTLY A WALLHANGER, DONOT FIRE!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you want a big bang, then the M44 or the M38 will sure do it. It would make an excellent truck gun and you wouldnt have to worry about dinging it up. They are tough as nails. If you want to use it on deer or hogs, Sellier and Bellot make an excellent SP bullet and is very accurate. It'll make that 30 30 seem tame!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God, do they kick that bad Rattlesnakebite? I have always thought that the 30-30 was more than I wanted to shoot several times in a row.....

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Basically, 1*, you are shooting a .30/06 through a carbine. They are a handful, but will make an excellent camp/truck carbine. I carry my M38 in my Jeep when I camp way out. They make great fireballs, so you can always been seen by anyone airborne within 5 states in case you get lost. They can also start a fire (true!) if need be. And, if you miss them with the bullet, the flash will bake them alive.:)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got to have one! Is the M38 the way to go?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I would say yes ands yes. They are worth the money. Let us know how you do.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
be forewarned, the things are like tater chips, can't have just one!!!!:nod:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I'm surprised they don't come with an addiction warning stamped on the barrels....

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
1*
I would suggest a M44 with the bayo allready on it.
That way when you start shooting it and get it hot ya just extend the bayonet and stick it in the ground(to let it cool)
As far as a truck gun The Mosin is about the best choice I can think of. ya can hit a deer with it out to about 200 yds with Iron sights. and if your game needs a coup de gras ............. just extend the Bayonet...................
As far as power I would not be afraid to hunt anything that walks on the North American continent.
Ballistically, freshly loaded 7.62x54r will perform in the 3006 to 300win mag range depending on loading and bullet weight.
(from a full sized rifle with a longer barrel)
The carbine lengths bring it down a little but not much.
In other words it's a rip roaring high horsepower rifle that is great for starting fires and impressing your friends and rangemates!
You could be the first kid on your block to have a wonder toy
that is a direct result of our winning the cold war.
It brings me comfort to know that I have one of our former enemys front line military rifles in my house soley for my entertainment .
CAUTION do not shoot from the prone position in dry grassy areas.
P.S. It isnt really a toy

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
The short carbines do kick more than the rifles, but a slip-on rubber buttpad from any good gunshop will take a lot of the sting away. They are also best fired standing, so you can "roll with the recoil". They seem much worse shot from a bench. Many claim the M44 to be most accurate when shot with the bayonet extended. If that hog charges, you've got an extra weapon, too! :D

The old 7.62X54R seems out-dated, but the Russians still use it for some machine guns and their Dragunov sniper rifle. Hand loaded, it can be amazingly accurate.

:usa:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The Russians were fond of their bayonets, and as such, all weapons, except the M91/59 and M38, were zeroed with their bayos extended. Those 2 models didn't have bayos.
You pick what you like, 1*. The M44's are great for beaters, too. I prefer the M38 myself because of the lack of a bayonet. I own several of the Mosins. I have at least one M44 from each country of manufacture. I also have quite a few of the M91's, 91/30's, 91/59's, M27 (rare), and M39's.
Just be warned, 1*- you will NOT be able to get just one. And, the urge to buy more never goes away, either. Just ask any other Mosinites in this forum. Whatever you pick will lead you down the road to a Mosin collection. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
The warnings about addictiveness are right. We only feel it is fair to warn you, we would hate to see you start a lawsuit one day saying that Mosin Nagant caused you to go out and get 20 or 30 of the things!

Really, they are great rifles. I have a 91/30 that can't seem to help put put rounds in the exact same spot of the target, the accuracy is impressive. The M-44 is the perfect size rifle to easily tote with you and has the same power plus that fireball.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh Lord I opened the flood gates didn't I. I had never even heard of a Mosin until I joined this forum. Theres a dealer at our monthly gun show that specializes in Mosins and Lee-Enfields etc. I'm going to go to the next one and handle a bunch of them. If I go after that carbine (M38), what should I look for condition wise, stock, barrel, etc. What's a fair price on one in goo condition. I'm also going to pick up a shotgun news today and start educating myself as to prices so I don't get screwed....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts