Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found it in a gun shop for $225. Complete with scope. Silly me forgot to check if it had iron sites or not.

Had two lug bolt (or was that 4?), button ejector, and lever claw extractor (I like lever claw extractors). Safety was two position and linear - I like that - on the rear of the bolt - even better. Wooden stock.

So the question is, is anyone familiar with these and would anyone recommend them? Any pros and cons, typical malfunctions, etc?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I don't have any experience with this model, but hey, it's a Mossberg. I love mossbergs! I have some Mossberg .22s and a couple Mossberg shottys.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
BattleRifleG3:As I recall the Mossberg co. purchased the parts from S&W of guns manufactured by Howa of Japan in 1985.What they imported was identical to the S&W but was either a model 1500 orM1700.The 1500,s run about $300 to $360 at 100% and the 1700,s run about $400+.This is without scope.I can recall shooting some but remember shooting The Smith,s more and they were accurate to about 1 1/2" groups with factory ammo.The Smith is the same as the Mossberg.They had a smooth bolt in my opinion. samuel.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howa of Japan would line up with the lever claw extractor, which is the same as the current Weatherby Vanguards and Howas. But the safety is different. This one has the bolt safety while current Howas have a receiver thumb safety.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
BattleRifleG3:Ilooked in the blue book in S&W section and it says-S&W in 1984 disc.importation of all Howamanufactured rifles.Mossberg continued importation utilizing leftover S&W parts in addition to fabricating their own. This could explain the safety.At the price you state,even if you rebarreled or something you should have a good buy.the action alone without stock or barrel is worth more than that. samuel.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
Could be the Mossberg Model 800 or 810. Different rifles. If the triggergaurd and magazine housing are one piece, it's the 810. The 800 has the separate trigger guard and magazine housing.
My exploded drawings book shows the 800 having what looks like three bolt lugs, while the 810 has two(?). Both show the safety on the back of the bolt, moving fore and aft. The 810 has a more graceful bolt handle, and is better looking overall, with the 800 being more of a basic model. The 810 came with both detachable box magazine and hinged floorplate models.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I dont think it could be an 800 because they had 3 rows of multiple lugs and were only chambered for .308win. type cartridge.Dont think it is the 810 as it had 2 rows of double lugs and a 3 position safety.But they did purchase Sako actions from S&W in 1984. I dont know what that means.I am looking in books that have turned yellow with age and there is one I cant find on bolt rifles that should have the answer. samuel.

BattleRifleG3:Just reread what you wrote about it may have 4 lugs.That would fit the 810 but it is supposed to have a three position safety.Maybe Big Dog is right.This sure is fun. samuel.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
As always, we need pics and markings! Go get 'em, BRG! :feedback:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts