Tenderizing

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chesterwin, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I was recently told that corn starch will help break down tough cuts of meat. London Broils were on sale and what the heck, let's give it a try. Although told the meat needed to be sliced in strips, I put a London Broil roast in a gallon zip-lock and covered it well with a half box of corn starch. Two days in the garage fridge. Washed off all the corn starch, patted dry with a paper towel and rubbed both sides of the roast with olive oil then put my normal salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper coating on both sides. Got the grill to high heat, seared the first side, flipped and cooked until the second side was seared and I figured the center was hot enough. It was the most tender London Broil I've cooked. I'll give it three days with the corn starch next time just to further the experiment.

2. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks for the tip !!

3. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

+1!

Got to try that soon.

4. luvmyRugers

luvmyRugers G&G Evangelist

Also works with baking soda. It's called velveting. It's the secret Chinese restaurants use on their "chicken". You only need about 3/4 tbsp baking soda per 8oz of beef, chicken, pork.

Ron The Legend, ChaZam, rando and 2 others like this.
  5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've done the Kosher salt trick on cheap cuts of steak to make them tender. You massage the steak, cover them in large-grained salt, and leave them sitting one hour at room temperature for every inch of thickness.

Rinse the salt off and grill.

Ron The Legend, ChaZam, rando and 2 others like this.
  6. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

Sour cream, pineapple juice (that one will impact the flavor), pretty much any citrus, salt and vinegar (which is the basic composition of a liquid brine) - all suitable for tenderizing. Sour cream is pretty awesome and has become my new favorite. Rinse it off before cooking.

ChaZam, K75RT and Jaison like this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

I need to try the sour cream one. I know a lot of sous vide (sp?) fancy-pants chefs swear by that one.

My granny always marinated pork in milk or buttermilk to make it tender, and sometimes she would make potato soup out of the leftover milk brine so nothing was wasted. It was the best 'toe soup ever.

My wife soaks every type of meat she cooks in saltwater, and then she uses pineapple juice for pork, coconut juice for chicken, and lime juice for everything else.

ChaZam and shanebrews like this.
  8. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I know q few people that tenderize meat with Beer. You can google Tenderizing meat with beer and tell you all about it. It breaks down the enzymes in the meat.

ChaZam likes this.
  9. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I forgot buttermilk, it's essentially the same principle as sour cream: the cultures are breaking down the meat. Yogurt could work too but American yogurt is generally atrocious and it's really difficult to find a good quality 'plain' yogurt that isn't sugared enough to make the base for bbq sauce.

ChaZam likes this.
  10. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maybe if you "starched" your shirts and combed your hair that would work? You could have a pretty female cooking your meat.:eek:

upload_2020-9-25_13-54-54.jpeg

Junction15 likes this.
  11. PaleHawkDown

My wife makes homemade yogurt (sua chua) because she hates the grocery store stuff. We always have some on hand. Pretty much the only time I ever get into her stash is when I am making Indian food.

ChaZam, K75RT and shanebrews like this.
  12. shanebrews and ChaZam like this.
  13. PaleHawkDown

rando, K75RT and ChaZam like this.