Terni rifle

Discussion in 'Curios and Relics' started by Chaplain45, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    This is an older posting. Oldjarhead replied a few times. I have never seen many postings about the Carcano rifles on here. Getting harder to find. I have the full length rifle in 7.35x51. It was made in the Terni arsenal also. I don't own any of the shorter 6.5 carbines.

2. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I too have one of the 7.35 Model of 1938 Short Rifles. It found its way to Finland. It has an interesting folding bayonet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merle, K75RT, Big Dog and 1 other person like this.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

That folding bayonet is very interesting! Never seen one like it.

Merle and TheJoker like this.
  4. They are indeed very interesting, if you want more information on their type, search "carcano con baionetta pieghevole" or carcano with folding bayonet.

TheJoker likes this.
  5. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

In my case, I paid more for the bayonet than the rifle.

The down side to the 7.35 variant is that the ammo is hard to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cjleete, Merle, K75RT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Societa' Metallurgica Italiana means Italian Metallurgical Society; Stabilimento di Campo Tizzoro means Establishment of Campo Tizzoro, (Campo Tizzoro is a small town in the Tuscan region)
    No3 Caricatori di cartucce a pallatola means pallet cartridge loaders (enbloc clip) Cal. 7.35 per Armi Mod. 38 means For Caliber 7.35 Weapons Model 38, polvere nitrocelluloso pura partita means pure nitrocellulose powder match....

7. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

my M38 came with one, and it had been converted to 6.5.
    I have been told the bayonet is more valuable than the rifle, who knows?

TheJoker and K75RT like this.
  8. William Cairnes

William Cairnes G&G Newbie

This is an example of WW2 bring-back. An excellent example of a Carcano carbine rifle built in the Terni arsenal. It was liberated in North Africa. The rifle was given to me after it was removed from its storage spot a damp coal bin where it was stored for more than 50 years. Today the progressive rifling looks crisp it functions well and is quite a good shooter.

Needless to say it was in need of a full dose of TLC. After disassembly it spent quite a long time in an electrolysis bath. Afterward it was reblued and polished. The stock was cleaned and soaked in raw linseed oil before reassembly.

Attached please find several pictures of the rifle.

Attached Files:

TheJoker, Ron The Legend and cjleete like this.
  9. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

HMMM, judging by the pics, there are two different carbines there?

10. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

one has fixed rear sight - one is adjustable......

11. William Cairnes

The rear sight in the pictures has both a stationary and adjustable component.

Attached Files:

K75RT likes this.
  12. rando

Maryland
    I have a Terni Arsenal Carcano rifle also. Mine has no import marks and is the 7.35 x 51 chamber though.

K75RT likes this.
  13. Mr. Cairnes, nice looking old Carcano, I have one similar to it. The 6.5 is a nice little cartridge

14. William Cairnes

Thank you K5… for the kind words. It was my first attempt at firearm restoration.
    I was fascinated when I learned of the gain twist rifling concept employed to prolong the useful life of the rifle. When I first looked down the bore my heart sank thinking this thing is shot out. After cleanup, it shines and shoots amazingly.

K75RT likes this.
  15. rando

Maryland
    Here is what I use in many of my old military surplus rifles. The PPU ammo is relatively cheap and made in about any caliber.

[​IMG]

TheJoker and Merle like this.