close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Terorist Strike HERE! Why do we do stupit stuff like this artical.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I am begining to wounder if we dont have a department of the goveerment whos job it is is to provide Terrorist with a list of realy great targets....Ill cut/past some of the quoats to support this arugment... To me if I were aterrorsit articals like this would make me slobber all over myself...I bet the terrorist think Ala is blessing and "guideing" them with this stuff.. Look at these 2 sections if you dont feel like reading the whole artical:

"They don't make those in Macalester. They make conventional weapons — everything from 20mm rounds to 500- and 2,000-pound bombs."

OR ...MAN I LOVE THIS BEING MADE PUBLIC..might as well place a neon target on the place and put Alah Slept here on the door...

Macalester is the only conventional bomb plant in the United States. And through the years, they've made a lot of them.

M A C A L E S T E R, Okla., Aug. 5 — Since World War II, when American bombs and artillery made possible the defeats of the Nazis and the Japanese, through the war in Vietnam, the conflicts of the 1990s, and today in Afghanistan, much of the American ammunition came from one place — the Macalester Army Ammunition Plant in Oklahoma.

"I like to say that we're leaving Macalester's calling card," said Col. Jyuji Hewitt, the commanding officer at the plant. "Through the Air Force and the Navy, we're leaving Macalester's calling card all over Afghanistan.
    Conventional Weapons

Through much of recent history, especially during the Cold War, most Americans focused on nuclear weapons — the A-bomb, the H-bomb and deterrent weapons meant to pre-empt war.

They don't make those in Macalester. They make conventional weapons — everything from 20mm rounds to 500- and 2,000-pound bombs.
    "You're going to have to build bombs somewhere, and we've been doing it here forever," said Dale Covington, Macalester's mayor.

Macalester is the only conventional bomb plant in the United States. And through the years, they've made a lot of them.

"When a service says, 'Hey, we need to order 500 bombs, and can you knock that out?' You know, we can't say no," Hewitt said.

During the Vietnam era, when the services called for bombs, the rush to turn them out ramped up production to 6,000 shells a day — a typical year's output today.

Combined Effort

To turn out so many bombs takes the combined effort of the whole town.

"Just about everyone you talk to, a member of the family has worked there," said Loretta, a Macalester resident who works at the plant.

As a result, the town has benefited — not only economically, but in other ways as well.

"We felt proud that we were making a contribution to the war effort," said Oklahoma state senator Gene Stipe, himself a former worker at the plant.

Billy Don, another worker, agrees.

"The work force, they felt like they was really doing something that was needed to be done to help America," he said.

But in this case, helping America also has consequences, and mixed in for some is ambivalence about what their bombs really do.

"It's astonishing to see how much damage they actually do," Loretta said, "because, working with them, you know they're big and they destroy a lot, but you never really realize it until you see it."

Although her instinct is too look away, it's clear she keeps watching her handiwork when it shows up on the news.

"In a way, it makes you feel uneasy," she said, "but in a way that you're proud that you're building something to make us feel safe here in the United States."

ABCNEWS' Dave Marash contributed to this report. It was produced for ABCNEWS.com by Mark King.

:confused: