Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got good news and bad news. The good news is it hits what I'm aiming at and the firing pin hasn't stuck yet. The bad news is, it won't eject. I was thinking it was the gas tube because I could see the powder marks around where the gas tube connects to the gas valve, but the shell seems to get stuck in the chamber not even letting the bolt come back. The one time it did come back, it didn't go back far enough to pull the shell out and load another in. Also, even with the gas valve shut off the spent cartrage sticks in the chamber and is hard to get out. I know that the shell should expand some but I was wondering if this was normal. The shell does stay connected to the bolt. I was wondering if there might be something wrong with the ejector too.:feedback:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
A couple 'not so obvious' things to check:

Remove the short piston and spring fromt the rear sight block (careful, it's under spring pressure - cover with a rag before flipping the latch open)!
It may be gunked up in there, restricting movement.

Check the recoil spring and rod behind the bolt carrier - kinky end goes forward, into the bolt carrier! It can bind if backwards.

And of course, make sure the gas port in the barrel is reamed out to it's full size - not restricting gas pressure. Carbon crud can collect here.

Doctor Dawg sez, "Take two boxes of ammo, and call me in the morning . . . :)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I would also check the Chamber area, it needs to be clean and smooth, but not Mirror polished . With the Bolt out, you should be able to insert a live round fully and remove it with your fingers easily. Look for scratches on the round after you remove it indicating burrs/ rough area in chamber.
Rich

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I HAVE GOOD NEWS! Because of where I bought it, I can get parts for up to a year for free with free shipping. I ordered a gas valve and cylinder and firing pin. I will have to get the bolt elsewhere.

I checked the breach and it's smooth. I forgot to mention that I could pull out unspent cartrages easily. Also, I had double checked the short piston and cleaned it some more after I got home. It was moving fine. The gas tube does come off really easy. It should fit pretty snug, I think.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Being as how it's a Yugo,it probably has to do with the gas valve,other SKS's don't have the valve because they are not set up to fire granades,the valves apparently have been causeing reliability problems.:bigeyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts