close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

That Engraved thing

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dennis, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Well I havent a clue what model of Mosin this was. It has about a 22"barrel with a beautyful crown job, a commercial front sigt silversoldered on to the barrel. also engraved. The rear sights are buckhorn style like you would see on a old 3030winchester.
    the only markings are the hammer/sickel on the top of the reciever(above the silver inlay deer's head) and there is a triangle with arrow on the magazine near the front screw(tula arsenal)
    The magazine has been cut down, it's not quite flat but it is quite a bit smaller. The floor plate has been shortened from the back and is held in with a fitted screw. Whoever did this spent a lot of time and effort, the fitting is exellent.
    The engraving is incredible, almost 100%coverage
    the bolt has been polished, even on the inside. the striker shaft and collet have seen attention. this is probably what contributes to the smoothness of the cocking and working of the bolt.
    The bolt handle appears to have been made on a lathe and welded amd shaped. it is qiute a bit longer and swoops down.
    the sear/striker knob have been honed and produce a quite nice trigger pull.
    The walnut stock has a recoil cross bolt, hand cut checkering and the cheek weld is for the iron sights so I guess they didnt plan to scope this rifle. the length is quite a bit longer and has a recoil pad. it is a lot more comfortable than the military stock.
    I just hope this thing shoots as well as it looks. The bore looks OK
    but not the best I have ever seen.
    I dont know who did this sporterizing/engraving job on this rifle
    I can say as a professional that the workmanship I see in this rifle is equal to anything I have ever produced, and in some cases is superior.
    There was some Japanese looking writeing on the inside of the stock.
    Does anyone know if there are businesses in Japan that do this type of conversions? there was an 03a3 done by the same place that came in with the Mosin that I got. My pawn broker snagged that one for himself,and saved the mosin for me.
    any ideas?

2. Your rifle sound real nice, If you have time I think most of us would like to see it. Please post some pictures of the rifle.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

HEY DENNIS !!!!!

how about an up date Dennis!!! still haveit??? didja ever shoot the beauty??? will you ever post pictures of it???

:D

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Hey PaPa G Yea I still got that ol thing I will take some Pics and send em to ya I dont know how to post a pic here or at the other place.
    Remind me next week, I gotta go on a trip in the morning be gone for a few.

5. grizzly

grizzly G&G Newbie

Drool, drool, dream, dream...Love to see it sometime Dennis...

6. PAPA G

i wonder if Dennis still has the "thang".
    sure would have liked to have seen some pictures of it.

7. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

hey look an old thread. :nana:

8. Why not leave a public message on his profile. Says he has been on recently.

9. this threads older than my kids! LOL!

10. ^which begs the question, why would you bring back a thread that was starting to mold?

11. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

For penicillin? :sly:

12. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    Ya start reading a thread, get real interested, and then find out its
    7 years old:worried: I guess I'll have to start looking at the post date first
    and then decide if I want to continue. The obsolete thread re-poster
    :bandit: has struck again. :sly:

13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That doesn't cure mosinitis, you know!:wall:

14. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Wasn't tryin to cure it at all. :usa1:

15. PAPA G

i unearthed it because i want to see something besides the same old thang.:laugh2:

have no fear i can fnd more:D