Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I’ve accumulated gun-related stuff over the years. The question I had the other day was, how much stuff? So I decided to do a comprehensive inventory of powders, bullets, cases, and ammunition. Just those things, not equipment or accessories.

At first blush you wouldn’t think that counting what you got would be such a big deal. But perhaps my problem is that I’ve accumulated 21 different calibers. That number of calibers has to be multiplied by different case manufacturers, different grain bullets, different bullet types, etc. etc.

Sheesh! Little did I know that it would take me four straight days to do an accurate inventory. But, all the same, I’m glad it’s done. It is instructive, as I look at it, to see where I very clearly have some shortages, and in other categories where I have excess (will I ever really use 465 commercial rounds of 300 Win Mag? Especially when I reload).

The inventory is tabulated in Excel spreadsheets. I think to make it more workable and useful over time (as inventory fluctuates) I’ll need to bring it into Access and make a dynamic database out of it. Because, heck, I have nothing better to do, right? (right…)

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,724 Posts
Always something new to learn
That's entirely true.

But on the flip side of that coin ya gotta make sure that you're just doing some learning and maybe experimenting--having fun in the process. Learning something new but make sure to test it and in some smaller quantities before going whole hog all in.

I can't tell you how many things I've screwed up in my life (that were working pretty well) by trying to tweek them to make them just a little better.......

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
i'll tell you a secret.
your always gonna need something.
first you realize you have 85,000 wads but only 20,000 primers, or 50,000 large pistol primers and only 25,000 bullets, or worse yet only 16 lbs. of powder for the mix of the first two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts