close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the 375 is back

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Well I got my P14 back from the west coast today where I had it blued and does it look awesome. In the picture below the top is a before shot when I first recieved it the bottom is after it has been rebarreled and chambered for .375 H&H Magnum, 24" Montana rifle barrel, Leupold vari XII, New Bolt Handle, and a custom stock - glass bedded with 23 coats of hand rubbed oil and a Pachmeyer Decelerator Pad.

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Shaun: It's amazing how different the renovated rifle looks. Doesn't look anything like the original. Your gunsmith did an excellent job. Hope it shoots straight, too.

I've got an 03A3 in original condition but no way am I going to renovate it. I'll just start with something that's not collectable.

Oxford

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

The original was a drill rifle with a hole bored through the chamber that I got from Springfield Sporters. The smith is my ex's father who pretty much has been doing this type of stuff for years. Actually I got to shoot the rifle in October as I hunted with it then with a naked stock and no bluing. At that time I pulled a 1400 yard shot into a wood siloutte of a 6' tall indian that the range had - we confirmed the hit as a center mass shot I held over approximatelty 12'and was surprised when he told me he saw the siloutte moved. We took a walk up there and a nice hole in what would have been the left lung. Here is the kicker because the rifle with a loaded mag 3 rounds its weight is at 12 pounds so recoil is not bad at all. I just put the scope back on tonight so range time is expected on friday I'll report back. I am planning on taking a pig with it next month

4. Dang, another gun nut who goes around shooting Indians. The silhouette wasn't a likeness of my father-in-law is it....he's been missing for about six months now.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Of course the gun looks different. The only original parts left seem to be the trigger guard and part of the bolt.

6. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

It do seem a little extreme for a rebuild. Looks nice, though. Ought to be able to go on that safari now. 1,400 yards is too much for me. Nice to know you can hit something out there if you had to. Are you handloading those, or just using factory ammo?

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

The ammo in all my toys is handloaded -- yes that even includes my carry guns.

Dale I can promise you it was only plywood and I didn't know it was an indian until I walked up to it and saw the cutout feather.

8. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

For those of you keeping score, a mile is 1760 yards. That means that your shot was almost 8/10 of a mile.(If my new math is correct) I'd love to have a place to be able to see 1400 yards let alone take a shot at that range. Good shootin' Shaun. I think I can speak for us all when I say I'll be looking forward to hearing about li'l Mr. Piggy when you shoot him. -UR.