Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my grandfathers house and saw his uncle's H&R The American. It is in some bad shape. Looks like it was used in a few bar fights...and not as a shooter. Perhaps used as a hammer on a construction site or two as well. I asked his if I could take it for a bit and work on it. Rust galore. I wanted to get it cleaned up before it disintegrated. I know it is not likely shootable no matter what I do to it, but I would like to get it in working order. Where can I find parts? Is there a diagram to show parts and how it goes together. I have it mostly apart, but prior to breaking it down, the wheel would not turn as the trigger was pulled. Also, the hammer would not go back when the trigger was pulled either. So there are, I would imagine, some missing parts. Is it a fixed barrel design? The 1" rod that I have seen in the pictures in not there on this one. Could have broken off I suppose.

Also, can someone date the beast? Grandpa is in his 80's and his uncle owned it...which doesn't tell me a thing. The firearms price guide shows that this model was made from the 1883 to the 1940. The serial number is 64**

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,755 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts