Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i narrowed my choice done to these two ar 15 witch would you pick and why? And if you know the differance between them in fireing let me know.
i am a extreme noobie in the ar world!!

Olympic AR15 Flatop Varmint 223
Olympic AR15 Carbine 16"

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
im not an olympic fan, so i say neither. now since you want one, what is the purpose of the rifle? do you want a varmint gun, or a plinker/home defense gun?

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yeah, there is no right or wrong answer to this question because it all comes down to what YOU want out of your rifle. The Varmint AR would most likely be a bull barreled upper that you would want to either use hand loads or expensive rounds on. I would not pick this rifle for a Saturday O' fun gun. The 16" upper is more practical, lighter, can still get out to 300 yards with good accuracy, plus you don't need to spend $18+ for a box of ammo. As I said, you need to figure out what you want in an AR, what you plan on using it for.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i narrowed my choice done to these two ar 15 witch would you pick and why? And if you know the differance between them in fireing let me know.
i am a extreme noobie in the ar world!!
Olympic AR15 Flatop Varmint 223
Olympic AR15 Carbine 16"
Do you have a link to the exact model you are looking at?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Olympic is near the bottom of the heap. I would recommend looking at a DPMS or Stag Arms for just a small amount more $. For a more all-around rifle I would go with the 16" M-4 style. The varmint/target rifles are very heavy and cumbersome. A compromise between the two may be a heavy barrel 20" - not a bull barrel, just a standard heavy barrel.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot i will be going with a more fun gun so the 16 would be closer to what im looking for. whats wrong with olympic? what dpms would be for a fun allround ar ? thanks agian for answering my noobie ?s

·
Registered
280 Posts
It makes me laugh to hear someone bad mouth Oly. What makes you qualified to rate whats on the top or bottom of the heap. How many have you owned or personally seen not work. I own or have owned Olympic, BM, RRA, DPMS, LMT, Colt, Mega, CMT(Stag) and many other AR's built with various other brand parts and the Guns and parts that I've had trouble with were RRA and DPMS.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've seen part of his collection...

He's not lying, and still has most of them from what I saw. :)

lol...

I've never heard anything bad about Olympic. My dad is about to build his AR and I'm recommending an Olympic upper for him...

I agree to go with the 16". Or compromise, and get a heavy barrel 16" like I did. Still better accuracy, but shorter and lighter (thought the barrel is still heavy...)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will go with a 16 thanks guys. now i just got to sell a harley davidson motorcycle .

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen part of his collection...
He's not lying, and still has most of them from what I saw. :)
lol...
I've never heard anything bad about Olympic. My dad is about to build his AR and I'm recommending an Olympic upper for him...
I agree to go with the 16". Or compromise, and get a heavy barrel 16" like I did. Still better accuracy, but shorter and lighter (thought the barrel is still heavy...)
Shhhhh, I only have "ONE" AR, Remember? :lmao:
Did you ever get your missing part?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
well, I'll find out in about 2 hours.

I got it today, but I think they sent me the little screws instead of the big one. :(

I'll post an update, with pics if it's right.

I meant that you just had a bunch of parts. Only one lower, right?:hitwithrock:

lol

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It makes me laugh to hear someone bad mouth Oly. What makes you qualified to rate whats on the top or bottom of the heap. How many have you owned or personally seen not work. I own or have owned Olympic, BM, RRA, DPMS, LMT, Colt, Mega, CMT(Stag) and many other AR's built with various other brand parts and the Guns and parts that I've had trouble with were RRA and DPMS.
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't realise we had to list resumes to comment on this site. Unless you are quoting someone else, everything here is an opinion. I am more qualified than anyone to give you my opinion. In my opinion, Olympic is not on par with DMPS, RRA, Colt or Bushmaster. You have the right to disagree if you so chose. But, do not get all bent outa shape and turn this forum into a hostile environment for expressing opinions like so many other forums.

By the way, more than a few Gov. Agencies would likely disagree with your opinion on RRA and DMPS. How many Gov. Agencies or Military units are using Olympic Arms? Give me some facts. Maybe my experience with them is atypical and the one I used was a lemon. I try and keep an open mind.

By the way, I own more than one AR as well. :kiss:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wasn't trying to to come off as hostile but after re reading my post I can see where I may have. I really just wanted to know if you had actual experience with Olympic or other AR's. More often than not people spout out info about something they no nothing about. I have no doubt that you could of had a bad Olympic AR. Everyone (Even Colt) puts out a lemon every once in a while. I just wanted to know if you opinion was educated.

As far as I know the military isn't using Complete guns buy LaRue/Danial Defense/Novaske/BCM or many other top quality AR manufactures and that doesn't mean they are junk. As far as I know, the military doesn't use RRA or DPMS either. The DEA uses RRA but I'm unaware of a Govt. agency using DPMS. I'm sure there are police departments who use them though.

I just spoke on the phone with a good friend of mine who works at Oly and I had him send me a PM and here is a direct quote:
"We have supplied the 1st SF Group, 2nd Ranger Batt, the US Air Force, Secret Service, Border Patrol, Federal Marshals and more. Some contracts are closed, others are open. We have also supplied dozens of Police and Sheriff departments. I'll try and get our LE guy to work you up a list."
Here is the number to Oly if you need to verify my quote. 1-800-228-3471

I am only trying to have a friendly debate. This isn't personal and I'm not trying to be hostile. It's hard to judge emotions on the Internet. :kiss:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i am going to try and get a 16 upper and i havent decided on a lower yet ,olimpics our dpms is the top of my budget.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yea, it is hard to tell intent sometimes on email and these forums. I just didn't want this forum to go the way so many of the others have. Lets consider issue a misuderstanding and move on. Friendly debate is a good thing.

I have no need to call Oly - never doubted your word. Anyway, when you get down to it, their is probably not that much difference in any of the AR's so long as they are more-or-less mil-spec.

DPMS has this list of clients on their site DPMS, Inc. | Panther Arms.

KnightRider - To get back to the original question, I recommend the 16" version of "Whatever" name-brand AR you like. Just please do not get one that was put together in some one's basement. I have seen those at gun shows a good bit lately. Sorry, we got your thread offtrack.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep in mind you can get diffrent uppers and swap them out on the same reciver. I've swapped my 24' to my Oly to my16' to my BushMaster no probs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts