The best varmint rifle in .223 to buy is.....

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by nzhunter, Jul 12, 2007.

1. nzhunter

nzhunter G&G Newbie

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at the various .223REM bolt action rifles around that would be good for shooting hares out to 250 metres. I like the .223REM calibre round due to the availability and variety of rifles and ammo. I would choose the stainless synthetics due to high usage and rougher conditions.

I am currently looking at the Ruger M77 MKII .223 with the Weatherby Vanguard .223 and Remington 700 SPS as other possiblilties since they are available. Whatever rifle I get I would get the trigger lightened for greater accuracy.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of these rifles and what would you recommend?

Do you know of any other .223 rifles that would be better suited yet still be in a reasonable price range?

2. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

check out the CZ line of rifles.
    Ive only owned one and its a peach.
    i have fired a couple of the center fires and they accurate and beautiful.

3. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I shot a Weatherby Vangaurd in 223 and could consistently hit pop cans at 200 yards. All 3 you listed are good guns.

4. ojjr

ojjr G&G Newbie

Yip, I'd also have a look at a savage.

5. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Savage Model 12

6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I would personally go with the Savage Model 12FV

7. burd1959

burd1959 G&G Addict

love my savage with accutrigger didnt have to mess with the trigger and it hits great

8. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

remington xr-100 target, bout as accurate as you can get w/ a factory rifle.

9. nzhunter

nzhunter G&G Newbie

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I might look at the availability of a Savage 12 FV rifle as it looks well suited for what I do. I normally need more than one shot so single shot not ideal. (sometimes multiple animals)

In the meantime I am working on my accuracy with my H&K SL8.

Last night I shot four fallow deer with it at about 150m. Two were headshots, they should have all been but I had to drop the first two quickly. Anyway it puts some really nice meat on the table.

YUM YUM

10. johnnyd73

johnnyd73 G&G Newbie

I've had a Savage 12FV for 4 or 5 years and overall have loved it.

This past summer something went wrong with the accu-trigger and it started locking up and then went off after I closed the bolt (finger never touched the trigger). I think, based on all I've read and all the other glowing recommendations that my problems are a fluke.

Besides the recent trouble I have really liked the 12 FV and would recommend it.

I don't remember if semi-auto is ok in NZ or not, but I also really like 2 friends' Bushmaster AR-15's with match triggers and match barrels. Something like that is what I will get next.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted