close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the Cadillac of Enfield's

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by PAPA G, Jan 13, 2014.

1. An ancestor of the U.S. Service Rifle Model 1917 and the Remington Model 30. I always liked the classic look of military bolt rifle designs stocked out as sporters. Remington and Mauser were farsighted enough to do it by design.

2. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That gun is h-h-h-haunted, "the Model 720 rifle was used by the departed of the Navy..."

If I was a bajillionaire I'd own a warehouse full of Enfields. My sad looking Indian .303 MKIII is easily my favorite rifle, even though most of its roommates are much better looking.

3. That's right, I remember reading that they were used in completion and that the Navy had a ton of them. I have a No. 4, Mk 1* service rifle made by Savage Arms during the Lend-Lease years. I may keep my eye out for a No. 4 or a Mk III sporter -- since it was a borrowed Mk III sporter that I shot my first deer with many moons ago.

4. Forgive my ignorance but what makes the OP's rifle an "Enfield"?

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

after WWI Remington had all that machinery from making US M1917's, a modified British Pattern 1914 Enfield that was made here on a British contract. so Remington decided to use it as a basis for a sporting rifle. modifying the action, sporter stock etc. it was called the Model30. in 1941 it was improved upon and renamed the M720. bad timing, WWII intervened and the M720 was cancelled after several thousand were made.

6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

PAPA G likes this.
  7. PaleHawkDown

I doubt there are a whole lot of bolt or lever guns that do not owe some tiny debt to Enfield.

8. I'd say more so to Mauser, especially in this case as it appears that the later Remington rifles reverted to cock-on-opening leaving only the extra locking of the original P13 design.

9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I still say it's a Remington, not an Enfield.

But I'm strange like that. :cool:

10. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

so using your theorem a Westinghouse Mosin Nagant is not a Moison Nagant.

so what your really saying your Westinghouse M/N is really a refrigerator. :lol: :lol: :lol Lordamercy hep me

11. The United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917 & the Rem. Model 720 both retained the cock on closing of the Pattern 13 & 14..................

12. PaleHawkDown

What about a Remington made Mosin Nagant?

13. PaleHawkDown

I missed my chance at a 1917 for $300 and have been kicking myself ever since. The guy had it at the flea market forever and no one ever seemed interested but me. I kept figuring it would be there till I got ready or until he came down. Someone else that knew how valuable it was snagged it up...at $450.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A NEW Mosin Nagant (And Remington for that matter) was made by an American manufacturer using the Russian design plans, changing nothing except maybe the wood used in the stocks and the steel blend.

Of course it's a Mosin Nagant!

15. Actually, you're not the only one. My paternal grandfather was an Army veteran who served in World War I (the Great War as they called it) and he referred to his U.S. Model 1917 rifle as a "Remington service rifle" even though they were made by Winchester Repeating Arms too.

16. Papa Gs response was accurate. Below is a brief history that I used in another thread. Enfield ordnance engineers in Great Britain had envisioned this design for quite some time.

Similarly, Great Britain reissued a number of Pattern 14s to Commonwealth troops during the North African Campaign and to Home Guard personnel until the end of World War II.

jwrauch likes this.
  17. Additionally, the Home guard also got nearly a million M1917s bought from the US in 1940. They were marked with read stripes so as not to be confused with the .303 P14s.

Note: they were "bought". That is to say they were not Lend-Lease because the Lend-Lease Act did not arrive until 1941.

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Actually NOT a 'reversion', as the earlier Mausers were a "cock-on-close" design, and this is the action design used. Mauser developed the "Cock-on-open" action with the M98. Remington used the earlier system, according to the Wiki it facilitated faster operation as the weapon heated.
    Gotta remember this action was designed just prior to WWI, and the M98 was still a very new issue in Germany.

19. That is true. Prior to the Lend-Lease Act, there was what was termed the Cash and Carry Act. The Roosevelt Administration, the U.S. Congress and American industrial planners essentially laid out the groundwork for what was called the "Arsenal of Democracy." Remember, most Americans still had World War I on their minds and they were hesitant to get into another European war. It was believed that just supplying arms and logistics was enough. Just like the Great War against the Central Powers (Imperial Germany, Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire) before, the Brits would now have to tough it out against the Nazis in Europe, North Africa, Middle East, and the high seas for two years before our involvement.