The Cat Chronicles, Redux, Redux...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ChaZam, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Made these 3 short videos earlier. Slowly but steadily making progress with all of them it appears. The 4 newbies appear to be ready to start lapping up some canned food and/or gruel and maybe even munching on some kibble. Still working hard trying to get their plumbing working and teaching them that the litter box will be the appropriate place for that to happen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Jaison, Cyrano and ncnascarlady like this.
  2. ChaZam

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    K75RT, ncnascarlady and Jaison like this.

3. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

When do you get to sleep, Rex? Do they start bellowing in the middle of the night? LOL

Great videos, as always. Also, as always, thank you for sharing a glimpse into your studio.

K75RT, ncnascarlady and Cyrano like this.
  4. ChaZam

I sleep short spells around the clock. Then I get plumb tuckered out and I'll crash for too many hours. It'll get considerably easier once I get them eating and going potty on their own. Those pieces of vinyl carpet runner have really been a very worthwhile purchase. Some of those rubber backed area rugs are a great investment too. That one that I took out of there today is going to need replaced soon. They weren't manufactured with litters of messy kittens and repeated detergent, scrubbing, and rinsing in their game plan.

K75RT, Jaison and ncnascarlady like this.
  5. ChaZam

ncnascarlady, K75RT and Jaison like this.
  6. Jaison

Smile achieved, brother.

Thank you!

ncnascarlady, K75RT and ChaZam like this.
  7. Rex, Sir. You truly are the Cat Man...you personally have saved more cats and kittens than anyone I have ever known..I honor you as a Man and Kitty Savior!

Jaison likes this.
  8. ChaZam

Thank you. I cannot tell you how happy I'm going to be when I get these last 4 that are in the crate eating and going potty on their own. I'm too old for that stuff anymore. I gotta learn to say no and mean it.

You know one thing that happens in this rescue/foster business whether it's feral kittens, or bunnies, or or feral puppies, or many other species; well meaning people find them alone and their perception is immediately that the litter has been abandoned and the critters are in dire straights. In many/most of those cases the best thing to do is just cautiously observe from a distance for a few hours. That mom could just be out foraging for food and water so she can make milk for the babies. Or in the case of cats she could be in the process of moving them to a safer location. That's what was happening with the 3 kitties that I named Donald, Melania, and Barron, but unfortunately she was ran over while trying to move them to a safer place after the culvert she secretly had them in got some water in it after a rain. We'll never know if she had already located some others, but the property owners managed to save the one she was currently moving and safely get the other 2 out of the culvert.

Many times though a resident brings in a box full of tiny kittens that are just days old. Then it's not uncommon that a feral cat is brought in from the same area a week later with those full rock hard boobies from forcibly having a litter taken away. <<< You wonder then if she might have been the mom of that litter a week earlier, but then it's too late to undo what has already happened, kitties are in foster homes, or got sick and failed to thrive, or maybe put down because fosters couldn't be found, or a number of other outcomes. City/county shelters don't have a night crew to care for bottle baby orphans overnight, so without a huge number of fosters willing to do that task those uber young critters are literally between a rock and a hard place. I tell people frequently to try to find out where they all are and then trap the mom and load up the kitties too. Those kitties have the best chance of survival with that mom, even if she is feral. When they get started eating on their own at 3-1/2 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks they can be separated from the mom and still have a very good chance of being socialized.

But yes, old papaw is too old for bottle babies; that's the long and the short of it...

ncnascarlady, Jaison and K75RT like this.
  10. Rex, you should set up a Go Fund Me page....good people will help, not trying to influence...but:D

ncnascarlady and Jaison like this.
  11. ChaZam

I appreciate that suggestion, but I don't want to do that for a number of reasons. I'll share something later on though about about some totally unexpected voluntary citizen involvement and participation that came my way recently simply due to taking pictures. It could be 2 or 3 months before it all comes to fruition but I'll post about it here when/if that happens...

ncnascarlady and Jaison like this.
  12. Jaison

Infinite dittos.

Your kitty craft has a deep impact on the four and two legged.

K75RT and ChaZam like this.
  13. ChaZam

Jaison, if you get any updates about your mom's cats in their new home/homes please share it with us. Stuff like that is important with me. I cannot describe how it feels when I get positive glowing updates about my fosters. Of course I get those sad updates too such as my late great momma cat Karly crossing that Rainbow Bridge...

Jaison and K75RT like this.
  14. Jaison

Will do, brother.

My first inclination was to stop by to see them, but that seemed cruel. After Mom passed, I got to know the cats much better. They grew on me big time and became very affectionate and social. I’m afraid that my visiting would just confuse them and stress them out.

Will make a phone call tomorrow.

K75RT, ncnascarlady and ChaZam like this.
  15. ChaZam

So it's time to wean Special K's kitties. Also her 6 kitties and these other 4 need their 1st round of the FVRCP vaccine. Made a trip to the Lake Dallas Shelter and Misha and Emily got them all fixed up for me. I hated leaving momma cat there but it's that time... Incidentally the other 4 kitties that I've been bottle feeding got named finally too. The 2 tabby and white kitties got named Greg & Colette. The 2 black and white kitties are named Roger & Deanna...

Jaison and ncnascarlady like this.
  16. Jaison

Even the cats you didn’t foster love you, brother.

You’re the St. Patrick of cats.

ChaZam and ncnascarlady like this.
  17. More like St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. Patrick drove the "snakes" ( drove out, underground or killed the druids) from Ireland.

ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  18. Jaison

That is a much better comparison.

Thank you, M’Lady!

ChaZam and ncnascarlady like this.
  19. You're welcome. I'm impressed I know a couple of saints and what they're the patrons of...lol ;)

ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  20. Jaison

St. Rex from up in North Texas? Yes? No?

ChaZam likes this.