The compassionate face of Islam

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyrano, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    One of the points the Muslums have been trying to make in the angry debate over the building of a mosque and Islamic cultural center two blocks from Ground Zero is that Islam is a religion of moderation and compassion. For your consideration in evaluating their sincerity in this debate, I offer the following.

Saudi couple "hammer 24 nails" into Sri Lankan maid - Yahoo! News

2. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Odds are, they will say "This isn't representative of the whole muslm religion." When it seems to be the only face one sees, how can we perceive otherwise?

Big Dog and SUBMOA like this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    The Old Testament provides for stoning to death adulterers, miscegenators, and practictioners of incest; but even the hyper-Orthodox Hasidic Jews don't practice that any more. On the other hand, the slaves of Allah routinely torture People of the Book, kill worshipers of any faith that came along after Muhammad made the Lord God's revelations to him known (they are notorious for killing Ba'hai-ists, an attenuated form of Islam that is less than 200 years old; and don't get me started on what they do to Hindus and Buddhists even though those faiths predate Muhammad by millennia), and think nothing of blowing up cultural treasures whose construction does not conform to the Koran's decrees. They still in Saudi Arabia at least routinely lop off the hands of thieves caught in the act and behead people for crimes that in the civilized Western world would at most rate jail time - I've seen it with my own eyes.

From what I can tell, the only reason the West tolerates the intolerance of Islam is that its followers happen to be sitting atop the largest known oil reserves in the world. The West needs oil. It's just that simple.

And that disgusting, from a moral point of view.

neophyte and 870shooter1 like this.
  4. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

There are so many religions and so many off-shoots of those religions. The basis of Judaism, Christianity and Islam has roots (as far as I can tell) in the first Egyptian monotheistic religion. Psalm 104 from the bible and the Hymn to Aten are very similar.

There are extremists in every religion that give a bad light to the rest. In my travels around the world, I have no choice other than to be tolerant of everyone and every religion. Most Muslims are just like most Christians and most Jews. They are tolerant of others. I have had discussions with many Muslims that actually asked if I was really American, because I am tolerant.

The leaders and media around the world practice serious propaganda. When I met my ex-wife, she was working for a guy that had a Russian girlfriend and she had a son. The son refused to believe that I was an American. I am 5'9" and at the time 150lbs. He said that all Americans are all 6' and 250 lbs of pure muscle.

I have to agree and disagree with your last statement about the west tolerate the intolerance. They have laws, just like the west does. It's just the punishment is no longer acceptable for us (the western world). There are people in Europe that disagree with the US death penalty for pretty much the same reasons that we disagree with the stoning of criminals in a few Muslim countries (I think that there are only 3 Muslim countries that allow stoning).

I agree with the fact that we (the western world) tend to overlook things that happen in the countries that produce the oil that we need. The western world protects it's interests as good as it can. If this means ignoring the policies of a nation, it's ok (not my view).

To the nailing that Cyrano posted... There have been Europeans that rape their children (over many years), There are Americans that lock their children in a closet to go away for a weekend. That is just as representative. You will find weirdos all around the world.

To SKS NOOB... It's not! I have yet to meet a Muslim that would even consider doing anything like this.

My summary: I think that there are many Muslims that are about 200 years behind the rest of the world. There are punishments that someone will disagree with. There are extremists everywhere. There are disturbed people everywhere.

I, personally, will not judge a person on race or religion. I judge on actions and words. An a$$hole is an a$$hole, regardless. But I love a good racist or religious joke regardless of who it's against.

5. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Get a copy of the Al-Quran and read 3 Al-Imran verse 28. That can, if it IS interpreted correctly, send the hairs on yer spine on end.

6. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I don't know how to post a link so google you tube "3 things about Islam" by a group called the "white roses" they explain the heart of Muslim reasoning.

7. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Saudi has one of the highest rates of human rights violations than any other country. There is a system in Saudi and other nations on how they view people. They see Americans a little less than them but almost equal. Many Europeans are treated the same. From there it goes down hill. They view many asians and africans as inferior and consider them less than human. As such they treat them that way in some cases. I have spoken with many people who have worked in Saudi and other Muslim nations and they all have observed the same treatment varying a little depending on where the people worked.

8. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Alberta
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The muslim is as compasionate as a rabid pitbull. None can be trusted.

jwrauch and Wicked109 like this.
  10. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Interpretation 3Al Imran 28.

Sahih International: Let not disbelievers as allies rather than believers. And whoever [of you] does that has nothing with Allah , except when taking precaution against them in prudence. And Allah warns you of Himself, and to Allah is the [final] destination.

Pickthall: Let not the believers take disbelievers for their friends in preference to believers. Whoso doeth that hath no connection with Allah unless (it be) that ye but guard yourselves against them, taking (as it were) security. Allah biddeth you beware (only) of Himself. Unto Allah is the journeying.

Yusuf Ali: Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah: except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself; for the final goal is to Allah.

Shakir: Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends rather than believers; and whoever does this, he shall have nothing of (the guardianship of) Allah, but you should guard yourselves against them, guarding carefully; and Allah makes you cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and to Allah is the eventual coming.

Muhammad Sarwar: The believers must not establish friendship with the unbelievers in preference to the faithful. Whoever does so has nothing to hope for from God unless he does it out of fear or taqiyah (pious dissimulation). God warns you about Himself. To God do all things return.

Mohsin Khan: Let not the believers take the disbelievers as Auliya (supporters, helpers, etc.) instead of the believers, and whoever does that will never be helped by Allah in any way, except if you indeed fear a danger from them. And Allah warns you against Himself (His Punishment), and to Allah is the final return.

Arberry: Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends, rather than the believers -- for whoso does that belongs not to God in anything -- unless you have a fear of them. God warns you that You beware of Him, and unto God is the homecoming.