The controversial Creed looks impressive on African plains.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by d_p_holland, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 6.5 Creedmoor, the new caliber for African plains game and American non-dangerous big game. The novel American metric cartridge with a British namesake sound. I think non-dangerous big-game hunters now have the magic bullet. It's just all in the loading. A 143 grain Hornady pill can bring down a bull wildebeest summarily on an open plain!

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

Now I know why there are so many shooter's that hate guy's that shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Have you been living under a rock for the last 13 years?
    Yes, The 6.5 Creedmoor is a very well designed cartridge, and it does what the guy's that designed it to do. It's not something magical, it doesn't do anything better than any other cartridge that has a .264" bullet stuffed into it.

I'm done, after 12 years on this forum you are the first guy that I'm clicking the Ignore button on.

cooker300, Ron The Legend and TXplt like this.

3. No, I haven't been hunting and shooting much since the 1990's. I've only gotten back into the "gun kick" in the past couple months. But any fool here can use their Iggy button just the same. So much for this being a "friendly" gun forum.

Headstamp notwithstanding, a CF rifle cartridge, after all, is just a hunk of brass, powder, primer, lead and copper. Maybe there isn't a "ballistics genie" after all. It's a shame we have such iggy-happy poor sports here.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    410dude likes this.
  4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Next up: "How I routinely take deer at 400 yards with my trusty .223 . So long as the parkerizing isn't scratched."

5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Should someone tell him about Karamojo Bell's 6.5 Mannlicher? Or the near-ballistically-identical-to-the-Creedmoor 6.5 Swede that has been taking game of all sorts for nearly 130 years?

noelekal, TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.
  6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

What Generations of people don't understand is that you don't need a Magnum rifle to kill big game. We've been fed garbage by gun writers who keep writing article after article on the necessity of the Uber Magnums.
    There has been an awaking of sorts by people who are shooting the Creed and finding out how well a moderate velocity cartridge will kill.
    The Creed does get a bad wrap because people believe it to somehow be magical. Like you said, it doesn't do anything that all the other cartridges before it. The only difference is there wasn't gun writers and advertisers pimping the other cartridges like they have with the Creed.

TXplt, austinjoe13 and Ron The Legend like this.
  7. If I had to have a 6.5 it'd be the Swede. Just because. But here's a clue, I'd want a 7 x 57 over a 7mm08.

However I'd stick with 308 over all of them as I: Have lots of lovingly prepared cases that started as Win. unfired brass, lotsa projectiles and hand loading knowledge.

But anyone else could do whatever they wanted and get no bother from me.

neophyte and Ron The Legend like this.
  8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I dunno Johnny all I see is 6.5 versus 308 this and 308 tries to be a 6.5 that.

maybe your missin out on all the magic, because clearly the 6.5 Remington was a total flop even though it does exactly the same thing the improved creedmore does only it done it 10 years sooner.

Palladin8 likes this.
  9. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Heavy for caliber bullet as the old, best gun writers and hunters claim. Or else pick a good constructed bullet. My neighbor, a novice shooter ask me today what to buy for wshtf. My answer is bolt, .308, synthetic stock, sights on and since he is of short stature, a compact one. He wanted a caliber big enough for bear, deer. elk etc. I do not own a .308 rifle, but would be the best for a novice, with common caliber easy to purchase anywhere. What do you all think?

10. This doesn't have anything to do with ballistics with jokers like me, I frankly just don't like the name Creedmore.

I love the romance of the 7x57, Elenore O'Connor did OK with hers and what an achingly beautiful rifle it was ( still is I guess ) The six five swede was very, very popular here back in the day when only the guy who owned a business owned a bolt rifle with a big American brand name here.

I believe I could hit or miss anything with equal alacrity with any of the mentioned calibers. But the 308 has served me well, I know what I am doing. I am teetering on buying a 7-08 because I know of one for sale at an incredible price, an example of the next rifle I will buy, a Savage American Classic.

I'd reeeeeally love one in 308 but that'd mean a special order and near twice the asking price of the one I know of.

If it's still for sale.

Palladin8 and neophyte like this.
  11. PaleHawkDown

I love 7 Mauser, and it is one of the cartridges that has taken all the world's largest game animals.

One of the most satisfying things to me is that so many of the world's militaries are developing next-gen combat cartridges that ballistically mimic the battle cartridges of the 1890s in that 6.5 to 7.7 range. People are finally realizing all over again that you can have low recoil, good range, AND good lethality.

The thing about that 8mm Mauser/7.62x54R/30-06/.308 period of cartridges is that they are all good enough that they aren't going anywhere either.

Ron The Legend likes this.
  12. PaleHawkDown

I was so out of the loop that the first time someone asked me if I had a Creedmoor rifle, I pointed them to a Creedmoor Sharps clone on the wall.

The Creedmoor rifles of the late 19th Century were pretty much the forerunner to the modern American sniper rifle, and the Creedmoor range was practically the international home of the sport of long-range shooting.

I honestly thought it was kind of cool that the developers gave a nod and a wink to that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Ron The Legend and austinjoe13 like this.
  13. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A long time past there was the .264 Win. Mag. It was too bad. At the time of it's introduction the gun writers were calling everything "Barrel Burners",. And like the Sheep that gun owners often are we passed on many fine calibers of those days. I and my family have had the .220 Swift rifles dating to the 1930s. Many rifles had a short life due the poor steel of the day. :)

Ron The Legend and Palladin8 like this.
  14. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Since you're looking at a Savage you can have your cake and eat it too. Buy yourself a Savage barrel in 308 and a barrel wrench and twist the 7-08 off and install the tree oh eight on. Easy peasy japaneseze.

15. TXplt

Not to mention the venerable and extremely viable .270 Winchester.

Ron The Legend likes this.
  16. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I have numerous .260s and will sing their praises, but there nothing I can do with them that I can't do with a .308 or 30-06.

Now, if I could have another of the 6.5 calibers, I think it would be the .264 Win Mag or the 6.5 Swede as my friend Johnny said above!

17. PaleHawkDown

I don't think I have ever shot one. That caliber did a weird and nonsensical thing in Alabama where it went from being a wussy "not-big-enough-because-it-isn't-a-30" cartridge to a "too-much-because-we-don't-need-that-kinda-range" cartridge within a decade. Then, against all logic and reason, the magnum and supermag craze hit, and these same igmos were practically shooting anti-tank rounds with ludicrous ranges at deer within 150 yards.

By the time it began to get the respect it deserved, and came back around, I had pretty much missed my window of knowing anyone with one well enough to go shooting with them.

TXplt likes this.
  18. TXplt

Worth a look. Always has been. It's my go-to longer range gun.

19. PaleHawkDown

I am still using the trusty Ishy Enfield for most of that work, but if I ever find a .270 lever gun I like, at a price I like, I plan on snatching it up.

TXplt likes this.
  20. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    The rancher up the road uses a Browning lever action .270 and has for years. Tough old man, look him up on google. Rusty Ross and killing a mountain lion bare handed to save his cow dog.

TXplt likes this.