Gun and Game Forum banner

The countdown has started for my deer hunt

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Troy 
#1 ·
Ok...a week from this Saturday morning, November 13th, I'll be in Atchison County near the town of Rock Port, the most northwestern county in Missouri, with two other deer hunters walking off in the dark about 6:15 a.m. or earlier toward our previously installed deer stands located in the thick trees of the hilly bluffs about a mile east of the muddy Missouri River. We'll be carrying rifles, myself a Rem 700 30-06 with Leupold 3x9x40 scope, another person with a .270 rifle, and another with a 30-06, too. Don't know what makes they are or about their scopes.

Here's some of the stuff we'll be carrying in about 1/2 mile from our deer camp, which is an old barn fixed up with propane fueled heater, pot belly stove, old chairs, an old refrigerator, cooler...equipped with beer to be used only after the day's hunt is completed. We'll have our rifles slung over our shoulders, and backpacks loaded with binoculars, 2-way radio's, knives, ropes to raise/lower our rifles to the deer stands, extra ammo, flashlights, power candy bars...all loaded with "too much stuff" that we individually think is necessary to carry in, and entirely too many other things.

I'm anxiously counting down the days till next Saturday morning.
Ox

#4 ·
Thanks Jerry and Logansdad. Could you tell that I'm getting excited from the details written in my description? I'm trying to think in advance of all the steps and equipment we'll need while I have time to make preparations.

Got any suggestions that I haven't covered?

#6 ·
Oxford said:
Thanks Jerry and Logansdad. Could you tell that I'm getting excited from the details written in my description? I'm trying to think in advance of all the steps and equipment we'll need while I have time to make preparations.

Got any suggestions that I haven't covered?
socks...change your socks often, poncho for rainy conditions, a Thermos of hot drink is a must.

#8 ·
Thanks Troy and Papa G. Yes...dry socks...that's important :kinky: ...but we're going into the hills and mother nature wouldn't dare rain on our deer hunting party. :rolleyes: Well...my high top boots have been sprayed with water repellent but the rain gear will be available back at camp if the sky opens up. However, from what I've seen of the weather reports...the temperature may be close to the mid 30's up to around 40 deg F. This could be the year to leave heavy clothing back at camp.

As mentioned in another thread, loggers have removed maybe up to 100 trees from these hills during the last eight months, which has opened up some of the heavy tree growh areas for more light to come through. About three weeks ago we noticed plenty of deer tracks and tree rubbings in that area when we set up tree stands. Also, they've licked most of the salt chips away that we threw around on our hunting areas.

Now getting a harvested deer carried out will be interesting. We might have to drag them about 100 yards +/- to get to the main trail where we can get our trucks in order to haul them out. Then again...we may have to walk out empty handed. :nod: :D :guitar:

#9 ·
Well Ox I am sure your on the edge of your seat -- I will be instand tomorrow morning at 0530 waiting for the daylight and a deer to come along -- 54 cal tradional muzzle blaster waiting with a 200gr round ball infront of 100grain of FFFg Black Powder. Now I am at the 13 hour countdown to going -- good luck on your hunt hope you get something

#12 ·
Old Navy...Knowing me, you can be sure I'll write all the dirty details on a G&G thread...maybe more than some weak stomached readers want. For instance, last year I had to finish the deer off with a knife after not hitting it in a vital area. I spelled out the details of that operation. I won't go that route this year again. If the situation comes up I'll probably use my 9mm Springfield XD.

And...how is the hunting in California? I'm really not aware of hunting areas there. I was under the impression that lib's had passed too many state laws there to allow deer hunting. Hope you'll educate me on your real situation.

Shaun...So it's 5:30 a.m. for you to be in the deer stand? Now that's too early for me...except for a good cause like deer hunting. :) Our sunlight doesn't come up in this area till around 6:30 a.m. But...being there earlier has got to improve your chances of not scaring off a record buck who might have heard leaves, limbs, etc. breaking and snapping as you walked in to your stand. Do you have to use a flashlight to find your location? Now that 54 cal tradional muzzle blaster would be different for me. I can't imagine me doing that, not ever having shot a muzzle loaded rifle. I'd need a lot of target practice first. About what distance do you limit your shots to?

Troy...Regarding meat...last year I gave away my deer. However, this year, if I'm lucky, I plan to have it butchered and processed into some good tasting pieces. Still, I've been eating plenty of venison for the past year because my brother and son-in-law have both given me packages of summer sausage and jerkey made from their deer kills. MMm Mm Good! :nod: Gotta give them some back this year.

#13 ·
giving away the meat is fine, it is strictly trophy hunting that makes me ill. got a bunch of yahoos out here that hunt for the head and leave the rest to rot. there is some indians (is that pc, calling them indians?) who can hunt out of season cause they are indians and they take pregnant deer, cut out the fetus (yes they leave the rest to rot) and eat it as some sort of indian delicasy. no i am not kidding, that is true. trophy hunt if you wish, but donate the meat, give it to someone that will use it, something other than complete waste. btw, i had some sausage made from elk that my brother in law took. it was mixed with pork, so good that it left me kinda convinced that sausage is partially responsible for the world turning.

#16 · (Edited)
Oxford said:
[
Shaun...So it's 5:30 a.m. for you to be in the deer stand? Now that's too early for me...except for a good cause like deer hunting. :) Our sunlight doesn't come up in this area till around 6:30 a.m. But...being there earlier has got to improve your chances of not scaring off a record buck who might have heard leaves, limbs, etc. breaking and snapping as you walked in to your stand. Do you have to use a flashlight to find your location? Now that 54 cal tradional muzzle blaster would be different for me. I can't imagine me doing that, not ever having shot a muzzle loaded rifle. I'd need a lot of target practice first. About what distance do you limit your shots to?

Yep 530 is a good time the sun is beginning to change the sky adding more light. I have never used a light going in as it is just the same as stompiong my way in and not caring. Plus my night vision is really good and I have all my entry points to the stands memorized.

I usually practice with the muzzle blaster at 50 and 100 yards Using a 100 grain charge of FFFg BLACK Powder (Not a replacement). MY limit is on the range of 150 yards as I have made occassional shots at that distance and have been effective. Remember last year I took that big cow elk at 80 yards. One thing that always messes with people is the fact its a traditional precussion gun with open sights and not a caseless centerfire rifle (Inline) with a scope.

Didn't see anything around here at all during shoot hours all the deer appeared long after dark -- about the only deer I saw over the weekend were in a field next to the airfield --as I was doing touch and goes there were two big 8 point bucks in the filed with several does. Watched them from 500' up and they just couldn't care.

CA Hunting is mostly Mule deer (Draw) and Wild Boar (5 tags $7 - year round), Elk (Limited, draw only must qualify shooting ability, only get to shoot the animal F&G officer points out)

#17 ·
Shaun...Hey...deer spotting from a plane would help...especially if we had 2-way radio's on our ears. I would volunteer to be the hunter and you could be the spotter while you're logging up hours of flying time. :nod: :)

Ok...you think no flashlights should be involved in getting to the deer stand? That's something I'll think about for sure. I think I probably could feel my way though those trees ok. Been there plenty of times and it follows a trail mostly except for the last 100 yards.

So what's your thought on using two way radio's between deer stands? (of course we plan to use headsets) In your opinion should those be left at home, too?

Hope you've bagged a record size buck by now. Mine is getting a sniff of one of those does who will sucker him right up to my tree...Then I'll get out my :assult: and do a little deer harvesting. Yessireeeeee! That's my plan. :nod:

#18 ·
I use radios all the time with headsets and they are just fine - haven't bagged anything yet anyway I am a meat hunter so to me the doe is a bit more tender and I can get 141 of those verse the 3 bucks I am allowed. Its too wooded where I hunt to use the plane and it is hard to spot a deer on the ground from 500 feet without someone looking out the window for you

#19 ·
You sound like you get as exicited as I do!! I've been deer hunting for 21 years now, and I still get as worked up now as I did when I was 9 on my first hunt. While I'm thinking about it, I just watched the weather and it supposed to be coolllddd Friday and Saturday nights with lows into the mid 20's (down this way anyhow) Nothing is more irritating than waking up in the middle of the night because your freezing! Are you hunting in one of the counties with point restrictions? I just don't know about that one, personally I voted for the "earn a buck" system.

#20 ·
Copper...why do it if it's not fun? Yes, I'm excited about deer hunting because I enjoy the whole scenario. Didn't have the opportunity to do so for many years so now I'm trying to do some catching up. :nod:

#22 ·
Here in IN our shotgun season also starts on the 13th There is nothing like getting out in the woods way before daylight and see and hear the woods come alive with birds and suirrels,and sometimes catch the glimpse of some of the nocturnals making their way back to their lairs. People who havn't been there just don't understand what it is like. I have three daughters, one goes with me once in a while, and that is some special time. Also she's a good blood tracker.

#23 ·
Jerry wrote:
Rut is in full gear here. :right:
:nod: :kinky: But what about the deer. I wonder if they get as horney as some humans claim to be? Have you ever researched that question? Could be an interesting government study for some researcher. :nod: :D

Now...for the "rest of the story" about my deer hunt. Remember...saw five deer yesterday, shot none. Well...today I only saw only one doe running off on a far hill out of my range...and that was just as I was exiting the timber area quitting my hunt for today. That deer was just teasing me I suppose.

So...no venison this year, at least from my gun, because next week ends the season here. Dang it!@#$%^$#@! Yes, it was disappointing not to bag at least one deer. But...like I said before, and as trapfreek posted above, I truly enjoyed the past two days getting out among mother nature and just wishing some big old buck...or even a fat doe...would wander into my range. Wasn't in the cards this year but I'll be back. Had lots of fun, will have a lot of good memories, and would do it again if the opportunity comes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.