Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody on here used or considered using a drilling for SHTF? I seems like the perfect game getter to me. SxS 12ga barrels up top and a .308 on the bottom for deer. Most of them even have a spot in the stock to carry extra rifle ammo.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
because though the drilling is a good idea, their rare, expensive, and if something breaks your S.O.L. because parts will not be found.

not very practical overall, but boy would i like to have one.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Mmmm,

drillings are expensive to manufacture and can be heavy to carry.

They have a place in history but did not make a big success in the general marketplace.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
You'd probably get killed FOR the drilling, LOL !!

·
Registered
13,753 Posts
I dunno about a drilling, but I would like to have a Savage over/under in say .223/12G...although I would rather have a .22LR/12G but I don't think Savage makes that combo.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Does Savage even make these guns anymore? I have a 410/22lr, but would rather have a larger rifle caliber.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Huh?

drillings are expensive to manufacture and can be heavy to carry.

They have a place in history but did not make a big success in the general marketplace.
I'm guessing that you have not had any experience with a Drilling. While they are expensive, my Krieghoff weighs 7 1/2 lbs. which isn't very heavy, mounting the scope adds another 19 oz.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Something like this would be handy-dandy to have around or in a BOB!

I used to own one of those. it was a 22LR over a 20 Gauge. The only difference is that mine had the lever on the tang to break it open. Handy little gun, it accounted for a whole lotta rabbits and squirrels, a few quail and countless numbers of groundhogs. Wish I still had it. Though in 1985 I bought dad a 30-30 over 20 Guage. The 30-30 barrel will shoot inch groups at 100 yards.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Does Savage even make these guns anymore? I have a 410/22lr, but would rather have a larger rifle caliber.
I don't think Savage is making them but A Russian Co and I believe Rossi is. I believe you will find guns like the Savage M24 were called combination guns.Drillings were three barrels or more in multiple cal/guage. ,,,sam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts