close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Enemy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

The Enemy
    War was on and the captain was attempting to rally the
    GIs on the eve of a big offensive.

"Out there," said the captain, "is your enemy. The man
    who has made your life miserable, who is working to
    destroy you; the man who has been trying to kill you day
    after day throughout this war."

Private Johnson jumped to his feet. "My God; the cook's
    working for the other side!"

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Didn't understand why they called it a mess tent until I joined the Army...sheeesh, what a mess! :p

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    oh yes, the good'ol hot chow in the field. Right!

4. NRAJOE

I had c- rations that had the 3 individual cigarette packs in them circa Vietnam.

5. Yeah I know that's what my dad used to call them. Had them a lot as a kid.

6. NRAJOE

I didn't smoke cigs so I would save all the little 3 packs in my footlocker (three 3 packs a day) and when people would run out of their precious cigs in the field they would come and see yours truly and either buy or trade for those little packs. Man you would not believe what people are willing to pay or trade when they run out of those little coffin nails...sheeesh!

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Join the Navy, get stationed aboard a tin-can, and try to eat during a good storm. You find out why it's called the "mess deck".

:throwup:

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Yes, but at least in the Navy, you get cooks who know that fish eyes and guts are good eating and you don't really have to clean chicken quarters. :p

9. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Yuk! Aaaahhhh'm gag'in.

10. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I like the fruit cake in the MRE's. I know I'm crazy, but I grew up on them!

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I found most MRE's okay, though I got mighty tired of the "Jamaica Sauce" entre. The diced potatoes always tasted like plastic, but then so does KFC's mashed potatoes. The Ham slices made good sandwiches.
    The mess cooks on board my ship were mostly Philipinos, and the little buggers liked to curry everything. Ruined a lot of good meat. I still can't stand curry to this day, though I recently had some Indian curried chicken that wasn't half bad. Big difference in regional recipes, I guess.
    Saturdays on board at sea was good. That's when the Captain cooked burgers ("sliders" in NAVSPEAK) on the fantail. The messcranks made a fairly passable pizza, too.