The Federal Government Can Track You via GPS - LEGALLY

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Cyrano, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    As a dissenting jurist who commented on the latest legally questionable ruling to come out of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals observed, "1984 may have come a bit later than predicted, but it's here at last." If this ruling and its potential for abuse does not frighten you, it should.

Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway - and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre - and scary - rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants - with no need for a search warrant.

Here's the article:

The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS - Yahoo! News

The thought strikes me you may want to complain to your elected representatives about this - while you still can.

2. Time to clear all the sh*t out of the garage and actually park in it!

3. Russ Hatch

Russ Hatch G&G Newbie

Iowa
    Got a cell phone? Better turn it off or guess what.

4. If I found a GPS attached up under my truck and it was small enough. I'd attach it to a wild duck....Yep that's what you do...See you in So. America !!!1

5. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Look at the case that all of this revolves around. A kid growing weed. This is a desparate measure by law enforcement to help tip the balance in their pathetic attemp to stem the manufacturing and sales of drugs. I guess they finally figured out after 100 years of trying you can't win so they decided to cheat by trying to ignore parts of the constitution because it suits their needs. Shame on the judge for upholding it. You are basicly killing the patient to cure the disease. If they get this passed then they will be able to apply it to any law enforcemnt situation they want. Where will it stop?

Michael

6. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

The same is true with newer laptops with a wi-fi connection. Surprise, surprise. Our (major tel-com) company laptops had this technology 15 years ago.

7. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Gentlemen, time for the tinfoil helmets.

8. CAV88

CAV88 G&G Newbie

what the hell is happening to our country

9. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

True, there is nothing new or even surprising about this. As to GPS capability in cell phones, I have mine and my wife's turned on. How often do you hear of an accident, with the driver immobilized, but found by the pings on his/her cell phone.

10. Why are they so preoccupied with where we are. They must be doing something wrong.

11. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Deersniper, the Govt. wants to know where you are so when they start rounding up all the gun owners they can find you easily.

12. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

GPS in cell phones begs the obvious question: What took authorities so long to locate the girl that was recently kidnapped in Texas and smuggled to Mexico?

13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Many things that have been declared 'legal' are totally devoid of anything resembling ethics. This is just 1 of them.

14. petrol

petrol G&G Enthusiast

I park in a locked lot, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll plant one when I'm out shopping. I need a new gps. mine takes ages to find the satellites.

what I really want to know is who gets paid to read all my emails and check my facebook account all day. that's my idea of a job.

15. They`d get sick of me real fast. Johnny go work.. Johnny go home.. Johnny go work.. Johnny go home..

16. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA

Hey, I resemble that remark

17. Well, I suppose, if they can get into my drive way without me seeing them, and put one on my truck, they're going to be truly disappointed as I don't drive a while hell of a lot and when I do, I really don't think I go anywhere all that interesting. lol

18. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Likewise. Cyrano goes shopping. Cyrano goes range to shoot target. Cyrano goes gun shop to buy ammo, window-shop and talk how to assemble & disassemble guns with shop owner (Cyrano is a mechanical klutz but very sincere). Cyrano goes to gas station to fill up car with gas.

And if Cyrano were to find a GPS tracker stuck to his car, the next time Cyrano went out to shop he would attach tracker to first 18-wheeler trailer he came to at the store and drive law enforcement types nuts.

19. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

I rather doubt any of us have anything to be concerned about.

However.....Billy - I will now take one of your Mexican wrestling helmets. Please line with a couple of layers of Heavy duty foil and ship immediately.
    Your BFF [​IMG]

Tom

20. You have the right to find it and put it on a UPS truck. Or better yet ship it to them.