The Guardian article on America's 3% of gun owners

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Cyrano, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    According to The Guardian, about 22%, a touch more than 1 in 5, Americans own a firearm of some sort. I personally think that number is low, especially considering it's two leftist universities in a Peoples Democratic Republic state who ran the survey from which the data was drawn. I believe the actual number is about 40%, and higher in the suburbs and urban areas than in the leprous blue splotches on the map that represent Democratic Partei-controlled cities like the ones where Harvard and Northeastern are located. But the thrust of the article is toward the 3% of gun owners they refer to as "super-owners," individuals who own 17 or more firearms. Some are collectors. Some are preppers. Some are accumulators. Some are even gun hoarders. Here is what a news organization thinks of them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...yDmSbVgM8UvJtteD15kE5djz14HdJH_tE3motoGmC8yUM

jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Sounds a little low to me also. I am sure they also dont take into consideration the illegal guns in hands of felons. The percentage of gun owners that do own guns usually own several or more. So I guess there are easily more guns than people on this earth. I am thinking more and more first time owners these days because of the violence going on. I am thinking the stats will change.

jwrauch and Jaison like this.

3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Cyrano: Sir; from the article :)

You know, it’s kind of like tattoos,” she said. “You can’t have just one.”

jwrauch likes this.
  5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Cyrano: Sir; another article

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...-guns-the-spring-2020-spike-in-firearm-sales/

UP FRONT
    Three million more guns: The Spring 2020 spike in firearm sales
    Phillip B. Levine and Robin McKnightMonday, July 13, 2020

When Americans are concerned about their personal security, they buy firearms. Such concerns have been rampant since March, initially due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and then the social unrest in June that followed George Floyd’s killing. Our estimates indicate that almost three million more firearms have been sold since March than would have ordinarily been sold during these months. Half of that increase occurred in June alone. This pattern highlights an important potential consequence that may result from this tumultuous period: more firearms in the hands of private citizens

6. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Stimulus checks are responsible for a lot of gun sales. Combined with tax refunds coming back about the same time.
    In my workplace alone, I know of about 20 people who bought some kind of gun. Usually it was a handgun or an AR. Some of them had a shotgun or a deer rifle but wanted something more suitable for self defense. And quite a few have said that their wives now carry.

Covid Propaganda and shortages certainly made people uneasy.
    Also, people got very upset with all the Democrap "ban the guns" nonsense. It is obvious they wanted to use the Covid Scare to usher in complete control over the population. But, I think that the day they ban guns, the authorities will find only a few actually turn in anything.
    We shall see. About the time the govt figures that out, big media will try to "normalize" being good citizens and turning in guns to help the "national reserve of steel scrap". Burning all that fossil fuel to melt down weapons will be good for the environment. Burning fossil fuel to heat your home will be "doubleplus ungood".

In fact, turning your living room over to house illegals will help save the planet by conserving resources. What does that have to do with all of this? I dunno. Maybe that's one of the reasons they don't want the public to have guns? ("Why does it feel like somebody's watching me.....?":confused: It feels like a wacky Friday this morning. We will probably see some big news and it will be Trump's fault)

Huey Rider likes this.