Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Midway has a strange way of dealing with things that are on hard backorder and unobtainable. In the past several months they have undoubtedly missed multiple millions of sales on the Winchester Small Rifle Primers. Rather than showing them on back order with no promise date their system shows lots of stuff like that as "discontinued". Be advised though that months down the road from now when the chronic backorder problem with all primers is resolved Midway's bean counters will have a place in their inventory system that does not classify Winchester Small Rifle Primers as "discontinued".
But they are not discontinued, they are simply unavailable in the retail marketplace for many months.

Premium Member
Similarly if you go to the "Powder Valley" website now and click on Reloading > and then Primers you get the following message.

"No products were found matching your selection."

^^ That doesn't mean that they no longer intend to stock primers; it basically indicates that their staff doesn't have time to answer thousands of phone calls and emails everyday about the availability of any and all primers...

Registered
I remember one LGS, that I only do a minimal business with anymore, incorrectly told me Remington Ammo had completely discontinued their Hog Hunter line of ammo
Well for a few years afterwards it was still sold by Natchez RSS.
I figure their key distributor dropped it aka discontinued it and they didn't know where else to get it or assumed Remington did.馃檮

However, it may be the case where Winchester has stopped sale of specific components until they get caught up on production of ammunition for both commercial and military orders.

Registered

Registered
I guess I'd rather it show discontinued on their site, than them continuing to take backorders, or keeping an actually-discontinued item on their site for years.

As soon as we realized some of this stuff was not coming in any time soon, we stopped talking backorders and went to a call list model.

I know another company that has several items on their site that they haven't carried since 2016 or before. I am reminded of this when someone calls asking if I will price match a competitor's price (in general, we have the lowest price anywhere on most of our stock, but I will often price match if I do not, and it isn't a going-out-of-business/factory seconds/bent-and-dent scenario).

As soon as they tell me the items, I know which competitor they are talking about, and vice versa. One site in particular discontinued a certain item in 2012. From 2014 to 2018 we were the only company in the country that carried this item. People wanted us to honor a fairly old price from the days when every company in America still carried this thing.
Another no-longer-competitor hasn't updated his page since the first Obama administration, the security certificate for the website expired maybe six years ago, and the associated phone number and e-mail are dead. You have to go hundreds of pages deep into Google to even find the site, and when you find it it looks like a Geocities or Myspace page from the early 2000s. Still, people will want a price match with a company that is basically a curious artifact.

Registered
I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering if these are legitimate sources.
I tried to open those links. my computer security blocked the two bottom ones. I opened the top one and was placing an order until I saw the payment method was the same as another site I tried to order primers from and my credit card was hacked.. (the primers were the same price too) so I deleted everything.

Premium Member
I tried to open those links. my computer security blocked the two bottom ones. I opened the top one and was placing an order until I saw the payment method was the same as another site I tried to order primers from and my credit card was hacked.. (the primers were the same price too) so I deleted everything.
I think the last one is a Canadian company based on the phone number I see on their website. The 1st one appears to have a shooting range that offers memberships for $200.00, $300.00, and $400.00. It appears that some people can log in on that 1st site but the link for a newbie to register for an account wasn't accessible so I'm wondering if perhaps you have to have a range membership to register for shopping privileges. It all looks a wee bit shaky to me though...

Registered
I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering if these are legitimate sources.
Oh I'm still doing my due diligence and have not even begun to formulate an order.
In fact if I can obtain .45ACP or .45Super brass with a small primer pocket it'll work out even better, as I've got plenty of small pistol primers. And I can consolidate my pistol primers
I need a consistent lot of brass for my project anyway. I'm not going to batter this new 1911 to death with true .45 Super loads but I'm going to go back to a tweaked .45 load that's going to be flat shooting and accurate.
Pet load used to use WW brass, WW 231 Powder and Hornady 185gr XTP-HP and a CCI 300 Primer.
I'll be reworking things for this load and the pistol itself.

Registered
I think the last one is a Canadian company based on the phone number I see on their website. The 1st one appears to have a shooting range that offers memberships for $200.00, $300.00, and $400.00. It appears that some people can log in on that 1st site but the link for a newbie to register for an account wasn't accessible so I'm wondering if perhaps you have to have a range membership to register for shopping privileges. It all looks a wee bit shaky to me though...
Well balls! Scratch that then.馃槨

Super Moderator
I remember one LGS, that I only do a minimal business with anymore, incorrectly told me Remington Ammo had completely discontinued their Hog Hunter line of ammo
Well for a few years afterwards it was still sold by Natchez RSS.
I figure their key distributor dropped it aka discontinued it and they didn't know where else to get it or assumed Remington did.馃檮

However, it may be the case where Winchester has stopped sale of specific components until they get caught up on production of ammunition for both commercial and military orders.
I was gonna say, but yea, (this is speculation on my part) but considering that Olin/Winchester won the govt. contract to take over and run the Lake City ammo plant for the military (It used to be Federal Ammo) I wonder if they have had to divert resources to start filling the military contracts. They started the transition phase from Federal to Olin last october.

Premium Member
I was gonna say, but yea, (this is speculation on my part) but considering that Olin/Winchester won the govt. contract to take over and run the Lake City ammo plant for the military (It used to be Federal Ammo) I wonder if they have had to divert resources to start filling the military contracts. They started the transition phase from Federal to Olin last october.
Been seeing a lot more Winchester ammo on shelves here lately. Pistol and shotgun, mostly. Seems like the ol鈥 Silvertip is back big time, too.

Maybe it鈥檚 just a local phenomenon?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts