close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The House of Representatives Just Passed Bill Authorizing Release of Surplus M1911 Pistols Via CMP

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Cyrano, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    neophyte, PAPA G, john_r and 2 others like this.
  2. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I wonder if they'll eventually do the same thing with M9 pistols.

neophyte and john_r like this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I suppose there are people who'd want them. I don't happen to be one of them. They don't feel right in my hand.

PAPA G and rl69 like this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Evangelist

Let the madness begin. The CMP forum should be off the charts entertainment for the next week or two!

I'll pass. I'm guessing most of these will be "well used" to put it kindly.

neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  5. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Yep, I prefer something a little more accurate than an old worn-out surplus rattletrap. My friend that just finished out his 20 years in the 1St Air Cav already warned me about these and said the vast majority of them aren't accurate enough to hit a bullet with a barn door from inside the building, and they certainly won't be worth the $1k that they'll probably be asking for them. With that being said if a 1911 isn't dovetailed and I can't put a nice set of 3 Dot sights on it I'm really not interested in it in any way.

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I believe the senate is nothing but Democrap and Rino anti gunners. But maybe this will make it hopefully!

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

So all your mil/surp guns are not old worn-out surplus rattle traps?

gsbuickman likes this.
  8. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

information:

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/7/19/release-of-military-surplus-m1911s-closer-to-reality/

On July 18, 2017 the National Defense Authorization Act of 2018 (NDAA2018) passed out of the House and moved to the Senate; where it received two readings. The Senate placed the Act on their legislative calendar under “General Orders,” and the Senate will debate the finer points in the bill―including the possible mandatory release of the pistols. NDAA2018 amends the NDAA2016 section on releasing the pistols by striking the word “may” and inserting “shall.” It also drops the 10,000-pistol pilot program, which included a requirement that the Secretary submit to Congress within 90 days of the first transfer an interim report that includes the number of pistols transferred and “information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.”

While the change is significant in ordering the Secretary of the Army to release the milsurp pistols, rather than simply giving him the option, NDAA2018 does not set a “not later than” date to begin that release. The lack of a deadline appears to leave room for more delay, and NDAA2018 also does not earmark any specific funding for the release, which will require the Army to devote time, personnel and expense in releasing the milsurp pistols.

9. neophyte

10. neophyte