Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a human right to defend oneself against a violent attacker? Is there an individual right to arms under international law? Conversely, are governments guilty of human rights violations if they do not enact strict gun control laws?

More...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The U.N. states that if you, in self defense injure or kill an attacker who was not trying to kill you that you have violated the attacker's Human Rights. In other words, if a Rapist is just trying to rape you, not kill you, then you violate his Human Rights if you kill him.My answer to this:GET THE U.S. OUT OF THE U.N.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
any subhuman lifeform such as a rapist has no human rights, he has a obligation to throw himself off the nearest highest building he can find and cleanse the gene pool of one more waste of flesh!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The U.N. states that if you, in self defense injure or kill an attacker who was not trying to kill you that you have violated the attacker's Human Rights. In other words, if a Rapist is just trying to rape you, not kill you, then you violate his Human Rights if you kill him.My answer to this:GET THE U.S. OUT OF THE U.N.
Conversely... get the U.N. out of the U.S. ...

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,688 Posts
Self-Defense is an inherent right. Period.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The UN is going to be the death of US, If not already! I'm sure our prostitues in suits are in bed with them!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
I am very much inclined to agree that the time has come for the United States to pull out of the UN.

When the organization was created just after World War II, the idealists behind it believed that it would only be a matter of time before all of the world's nations became democracies or constitutional monarchies at worst. That hasn't happened, and of the UN members that are nominally democracies, far too many, particularly in the Middle East and Africa, are in fact dictatorships. While there are some nations struggling to become actual democracies (Indonesia and Thailand spring to mind), there are not nearly enough of them. Indeed, in my darker moments I think the world is turning away from democracy as a form of government.

The UN wants the United States to pay the bills and provide sea and air support for their military adventures. But for an organization created to prevent wars, the UN has a piss poor record. I can't recall of a single war those useless natterers in New York have ever prevented; and the only ones that have been prosecuted successfully have depended on American and British military power.

Further, while demanding that we pay the bills and let them run riot in our streets and in our media with their anti-democratic, anti-American propaganda, they advocate measure specifically aimed at taking our freedoms from us. The United States Constitution has been around a helluva lot longer, and generally works a helluva lot better for its people, than does the United Nations Charter!

Everyone knows the chorus of Kenny Rogers' song, "The Gambler":

"You've gotta know when to hold 'em,
And know when to fold 'em;
You've gotta know when to walk away,
And know when to run..."

For sixty years, America, its way of life and the rights our people enjoy has been the subject of United Nations opprobrium. The jackasses bray at us, telling us we have to give them things and give up rights, while wasting money as badly as the US Congress does, if not worse. And we get no benefits from them. When Hurricanes Katrina and Rita smashed our Gulf Coast, they did not offer us any assistance at all. Yet how quickly would the useless natterers have sent aid (and demanded money from us to send more aid) if it had been, say, the Horn of Africa that got smashed flat by two hurricanes? Do you smell the smell of hypocrisy here?

Their entire bureacuracy is riddled with corruption and there isn't a thing we can do about it. The recently retired Secretary General, Kofi Annan, and his son (more so than Kofi himself) were in the oil-for-food bribery scandal before the Iraq War up to their eyeballs. The bastards are pretty well immune to American law, even though they have their world headquarters in New York City. They expect us to respect their rights, while demanding we surrender ours, particularly the right for The People to keep and bear arms.

As The Gamber said, I think the time has come for America to fold 'em and walk away from the UN. And at the same time, we should give them sixty days to get their foul stench of corruption and privilege out of our country. Let them go pollute someone else's nation for awhile. Let's relocate them to somewhere more congenial to their way of thinking. Zimbabwe would be a nice place. Myanmar might be even better. Or perhaps the Gaza Strip. And when they come to us looking for help, we should give them a two word answer, the second word of which rhymes with a vowel and the first word of which rhymes with a heavy motorized transport vehicle.

U.S. does not stand for Utter Saps or Uncle Stupid, and it is way past time our government should call the UN on its hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of its membership.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
If some one is going to do me bodily harm, rob my home, try to rape my wife and even do harm to Herbert they will get a BULLET that simple.
I will deal with the consiquences later.
Outside my home the robber, theif or bad guy has rights until I fear for my life then he/she loose's both. Rights and Life...A.H

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
UN position on self-defense

As far as I've been able to find so far, the idea that self-defense isn't a human right isn't any official "position of the United Nations," at least not yet. It's an opinion expressed in one report, written by a Minnesota professor named Barbara Frey, who is apparently the UN's Special Rapporteur on the Prevention of Human Rights Violations with Small Arms and Light Weapons, (whatever that means). She's afraid that officially listing self-defense as a human right would be a platform from which people could argue a right to own firearms for that purpose (well doh...).

She tries to weasel around what she sees as the problem by classifying self-defense as an exemption to criminal responsibility instead. In other words, if you kill someone you're a criminal, no matter why you did it. But if you can prove it was self-defense, you're entitled to an "exemption," basically giving you a pardon for your crime because of extraordinary circumstances. Talk about convoluted reasoning...

Her report pretty much lays out the Brady Campaign's agenda item for item, and then goes even farther. Apparently this is also where people are getting the stuff about the UN wanting to ban the sale of weapons across borders. Good luck to her with that one, when you consider that the biggest fish in the UN are also the biggest arms dealers...

A reminder for those who think all the nutballs are in California: this one comes to us directly from the heartland. Professor Frey is director of the Human Rights Program at the University of Minnesota.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,688 Posts
As far as disarmament of peoples goes, I'd like to see the UN take an objective look at how how a disarmed people are treated by an oppressive government. An armed populace is inherently resistant to atrocities of genocide.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
My beliefs in what the United Nations IS doing and what they SHOULD be doing may sound a bit obscene to some and if anyone takes offense I am sorry but these are simply my opinions which I am entitled to. My understanding of the United Nations purpose, it and it's predesessor the League of Nations was that it was intended to be essentially neutral ground were nations could come together to resolve differences and disputes, render mutual aid and assistance during times of strife or disaster, flood , fire and famine. Petition the Organization for redress of grievances between nations and factions within nations. While precluding the need for war to resolve these things. Somehow along the way that noble ideal has been subverted, corrupted by self interest of both individuals within it's member nations or those very nations themselves. That the United States bears the lions share of the expense of the operations and missons of the United Nations is onerous at best, that many member states use their diplomatic status to further their ambitions for weakening or subverting the goals or influence of the United States is unacceptable. That rarely does the member states of the United Nations step forward to offer aid in Americas times of disaster or crisis, yet insist we do more for other nations in their times of crisis is insulting. I feel while the basic principles of the United Nations are sound we have long since passed the point wherein it serves the purpose for which it was created. It is time we direct the United Nations to find a new country in which to headquarter their operations, and refuse to bankroll their further attempts at dismantling the Constitution and Bill of Rights of the United States.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
To even question the right of self defense is PC BS,madness,and won't fly.:drive:

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
History is on the side of self-defense

I totally agree with the theme of your post.
Governments who take away freedoms, self-defense,
and the means of self defense lose the support of
their citizens in time of need.

Look at the Roman empire. It sought to take away
(and in fact, generally did take away) weapons from
the non-elite as the empire moved
toward failure. Note people like to talk about invasion
from the north (Germanic regions) as a major factor
in the fall of the empire. But a closer look will reveal many
instances of the invaders(?) coming upon a city,
making a deal with the citizens, then riding on unmolested
toward the city of Rome. In the end, Rome fell because the
people decided not to fight for it.

A government that denies your freedoms including self-defense
the right to own weapons for that and other legitimate purposes
does not deserve the support of the citizenry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts