Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the deer spot today because I had that funny feeling. A story for another day I reckon.

At any rate. I took the Son in law, well he will be this next Oct. I digress, again.

I took him to the spot where I seen the rabbit Friday. Put him right on it. We both had shot guns, unlike me with the scoped .22 mag the other day.

Welp, thar he was, right where I left him. BAM! Off he goes. Rhett took a pop at him with the ole 870 of his.

As I see the corn exploding with all the fury of a scared cottontail rabbit, I let loose on barrel #1 of the ole Stevens SXS 20ga. I had a small bag of old (I mean 35-40 yr old shells) I took with me. Yep, I know I was potentially blowing an opportunity on potentially old ammo, but 40 years ago, I’d a did it because that’s prolly all I would have had.

So, yes, I missed. However, that ole 20ga 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4” Mag barked like an angry hound dog. Smacked those corn stalks flat out hard.

I pulled the empty hull out of the right side barrel (no ejectors) and gave it a good sniff. Ah! Memories!
The barrel was dirty as heck. The clean stuff we have now has spoiled us immensely.

All in all, it was just a cool moment in time.
IMG_4832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Jerry nice little story. I like my older 16 and 20 gauge shotguns also. I usually pull them out for small game hunting after firearms deer closes. I have an old SxS 12 gauge Montgomery Wards also.. Iit is very heavy but I have always did good with it. What I like the most about it is that it is not loose when locked up but can open and close with one hand. Not stiff like my newer shotguns. I have some old paper shell ammo in 16gauge laying around still.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry nice little story. I like my older 16 and 20 gauge shotguns also. I usually pull them out for small game hunting after firearms deer closes. I have an old SxS 12 gauge Montgomery Wards also.. Iit is very heavy but I have always did good with it. What I like the most about it is that it is not loose when locked up but can open and close with one hand. Not stiff like my newer shotguns. I have some old paper shell ammo in 16gauge laying around still.
Very nice my friend. Yeah, my 20ga feels like a 12 ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
I have two rabbit guns but no dogs left to chase em. Not enough time to work with em.

Back to shotguns (sorry if you don't care), an old 20 SxS (Otasco or something like it if I remember correct) that belonged to my dad's dad. He worked at the shoe factory for 40 years, barely scraping by every year, growing and raising his own food to feed his family, the way it 'Just Was' back then. A thin, frail God loving man, he was rejected by the military a number of times due to his asthma.

The other gun is a Remington 11-48 in 28ga. It belonged to my mom's dad, a renowned doctor in MO who first had his Engineering degree but got bored with it and became a doctor and a Navy doctor at that. Now don't get me wrong, this man worked as hard as any, but he had his toys that others couldn't afford.

Sadly, both were gone before I was old enough to know them, but never do I take one of these guns out that I don't think about them and how I missed out not having them in my life.

Funny how guns can give you so much more than what they were intended for!!! Sorry for the tangent Jerry.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two rabbit guns but no dogs left to chase em. Not enough time to work with em.

Back to shotguns (sorry if you don't care), an old 20 SxS (Otasco or something like it if I remember correct) that belonged to my dad's dad. He worked at the shoe factory for 40 years, barely scraping by every year, growing and raising his own food to feed his family, the way it 'Just Was' back then. A thin, frail God loving man, he was rejected by the military a number of times due to his asthma.

The other gun is a Remington 11-48 in 28ga. It belonged to my mom's dad, a renowned doctor in MO who first had his Engineering degree but got bored with it to become a doctor and a Navy doctor at that. Now don't get me wrong, this man worked as hard as any, but he had his toys that others couldn't afford.

Sadly, both were gone before I was old enough to know them, but never do I take one of these guns out that I don't think about them and how I missed out not having them in my life.

Funny how guns can give you so much more than what they were intended for!!! Sorry for the tangent Jerry.
No worries sir. Like to hear from you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts