Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If you, like me, were wondering how support for the D.C. gun ban can be reconciled with the belief that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to arms," writes Jacob Sullum, "you might want to check out Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe`s op-ed piece in today`s Wall Street Journal."

More...

·
Wonderment :)
33,583 Posts
Called "Manipulation" of words. country boys understand 'muglywhooper'

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
Another Ivory Tower Academic Heard From

One must consider the source when evaluating Laurence Tribe's opinion as to what the Second Amendment does and does not guarantee.

First, he is an academician, a professor at the Harvard Law School. He has not worked or lived in the real world. He considers things from a theoretical point of view that, from what I can see, has little or no commonality with reality.

Second, he is a professor at what may charitably be called a liberal college, Harvard University. As a rule, liberal arts colleges do not support the Second Amendment rights of American citizes. It is worth remembering that Harvard kicked the US Army Reserve Officer Training Program off their campus during the Vietnam War, because its presence offended the liberal peaceniks and antiwar protesters of the day. Reality does not view well through Harvard's rose-colored glasses.

Third, he lives and works in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Massachusetts, one of the most rabidly antigun states in the Union; and can certainly be classified as a politically correct member of The Establishment thereof. I strongly suspect that he has never been to a range in his life. All he knows is what he has read in his ivory tower publications. He certainly does not see the reality of life outside his campus.

If clowns like Tribe had been dominant in Massachusetts in 1775, we would still be subjects of the British Crown. Since he was not there at that time, he is doing his damndest to make sure we will be reduced to the same sorry state as the subjects of Queen Elizabeth II insofar as our ability to defend ourselves goes.

The best cure for jackasses of his stripe is to drop them down in the middle of an "economically disadvantaged area" occupied by "minority youths" in his custom-tailored suits, with his Harvard pin promiently displayed; and told he has to make his way on foot from wherever he is dropped to the municipal courthouse. I suspect that by the time he arrived there - if he arrived there, that is - his point of view on who is allowed to own what kinds of firearms and under what conditions, and under what conditions one is allowed to use them, would have undergone a significant re-evaluation.

·
33,583 Posts
mind of stone

Cyrano: Sir; why don't just say what you mean:lol:
Placating, rearranging, speaking for another work is a disgrace. The wording is plain simple and to the point.
Education is a wonderful thing; I enjoy reading, tinkering, manipulating, and face value.

One day all of us will meet up. When we do; what you see is me. Wasting my time or yours trying to figure out what you meant; Face value is the answer.

Your next instructor; Ask if they suffer or have ever suffered from a case of
"opticalrectalitis" a disease unto itself. Two, the difference between Assume and Ass u me

This 'chap' from H'avar'd aint for me.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,686 Posts
Using the same logic, I guess we could ban the words "you" "them" "house" and "you all" in certain states or districts ?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
Cyrano: Sir; why don't just say what you mean:lol:
I simply make the point that he's an idiot in the moral sense, from a notoriously liberal institution, in a state infamous for its idiotic gun laws; and should not be regarded in the same light as a rational human being on this subject.

I further speculate that there is truth in the axiom, "A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged." If we can arrange for Laurence Tribe to receive a crash course in reality, he might not be so quick to pontificate on a subject he knows only academically. He might even understand why the Framers wanted the Second Amendment in the Constitution to begin with. Of course, that's just my opinion.

·
33,583 Posts
My bad

Cyrano: Sir; I re-read my post; My bad.:duh: Sir; I agreed with you totally.:approve:

You jumped before I had a chance;:( to blab my discontent with said BS.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I didn't read all that horse crap on what that deem wit feller thought !!! He's wrong and he's out numbered. And he's stupid too !

Anyone that needs enlightning, read my Thread about the 2nd. Ammendment in this Thread I posted a year ago I mention a little lonely innocent comma. LOL

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
I really liked the first reader's comment at the bottom of the page...

My liberal friends who oppose guns are usually pretty apathetic and tepid about the issue, and my far-far-left anarchist friends openly support gun ownership.
Cyrano-

Sir, you are a product of your environment plain and simple. Either you accept it and become a part of it or rebel against it. If you are raised Christian, you will most likely raise your children Christian never giving them a choice or even an open mind to other religions. If you are raised to believe people as a whole can live and work together in peace and harmony then you are very naive, but that is what you have come to concluded. Having him mugged will not change anything. If you are raised around crime and poverty and oppression, you are more likely to want to have a gun to protect you and yours; because in your life's experience you know very well that anyone can do anything they want to and there is little stopping them. You can not prevent violence no matter what because our society creates it. You can however educate people on it, and perhaps one day with any luck people will use their knowledge to avoid or stop violence. That will not happen in our life time, at least I am very pessimistic about it.

Change never happens over night, it happens over time, and if you wish to get your point across I suggest you take a very peaceful and educated route. You already write like you have a decent education, so use it to educate people, not talk down to them. After all, you catch more flies with honey...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Um,
Im not american but believe all your amandmants have preambles written somewhere. I one of those preamble it says all citizens are duty bound to carry enough arms to defend the nation even from its govt if necessary, doesnt that preety much rule out any reductions in arms?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I really liked the first reader's comment at the bottom of the page...

Cyrano-

"Sir, you are a product of your environment plain and simple. Either you accept it and become a part of it or rebel against it. If you are raised Christian, you will most likely raise your children Christian never giving them a choice or even an open mind to other religions. If you are raised to believe people as a whole can live and work together in peace and harmony then you are very naive, but that is what you have come to concluded. Having him mugged will not change anything. If you are raised around crime and poverty and oppression, you are more likely to want to have a gun to protect you and yours; because in your life's experience you know very well that anyone can do anything they want to and there is little stopping them. You can not prevent violence no matter what because our society creates it. You can however educate people on it, and perhaps one day with any luck people will use their knowledge to avoid or stop violence. That will not happen in our life time, at least I am very pessimistic about it."

Change never happens over night, it happens over time, and if you wish to get your point across I suggest you take a very peaceful and educated route. You already write like you have a decent education, so use it to educate people, not talk down to them. After all, you catch more flies with honey...
I agree and then I disagree,,,,Violence will never be stopped,,,it's not so much society creates it, as much as it's human nature and for some in the extreme. But in some cases violence can be prevented. Sometimes you can be educated to recognize violence or violent situation before it happens, in that way it may be avoided, other times you have to face it head on. If you don't, you become victim. I believe we need more education in the use of firearms and their use, specially in self-defense. But education in general would lower firearm accident rates, it would not stop the criminally intent. But I still think we need to get it back into our shcool system.
If you take in the terminogly of the times when the 2nd Amendment was written,,,"well regulated" .... It's not regulated as today meaning restriction(s). Regulated means trained and in some rational thought, educated.
For those that believe we don't need the 2nd Amendment for what and why it was written, are dreaming of something other than reality.The more they keep wittling away at the 2nd, the more they are effectively making us slaves. Gun Control is nothing more than People Control, plain and simple.
Some think that in this day and age, we are more civilized, and don't need the right of self-defense...Human civilation really hasn't changed since the begining! We become more advanced in technology and more sophisicated through the use of that technology. But in no way does human nature really change,,,we as a species, will need self-defense untill the end of time. Just look at the written history of mankind.
The politicians of the time when this country came to be, spent a lot of time reviewing history. I wish they would do the same today.

Dave

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
Um,
Im not american but believe all your amandmants have preambles written somewhere. I one of those preamble it says all citizens are duty bound to carry enough arms to defend the nation even from its govt if necessary, doesnt that preety much rule out any reductions in arms?

The right to bear arms wasn't originally formed by our government, it was adopted from the British government. It was in their bill of rights nearly 100 years before we ever had a bill of rights and it dates back to the 12th century in England. It is there so the people can protect them self at all times. During the Glorious Revolution in England protestants were being persecuted for their belief and the King took away their right to bear arms, which is why a lot of them fled the country and came over the pond as you brits say to the Americas. If you look back at history as well, almost every time a government that has taken the right away from it's citizens to bear any kind of arms or weapons almost immediately afterwards has oppressed them in some way or form right after. That, is why it is there, to allow all citizens the ability to defend them self against acts of Tyranny and injustice.

I agree and then I disagree,,,,Violence will never be stopped,,,it's not so much society creates it, as much as it's human nature and for some in the extreme. But in some cases violence can be prevented. Sometimes you can be educated to recognize violence or violent situation before it happens, in that way it may be avoided, other times you have to face it head on. If you don't, you become victim. I believe we need more education in the use of firearms and their use, specially in self-defense. But education in general would lower firearm accident rates, it would not stop the criminally intent. But I still think we need to get it back into our shcool system.
If you take in the terminogly of the times when the 2nd Amendment was written,,,"well regulated" .... It's not regulated as today meaning restriction(s). Regulated means trained and in some rational thought, educated.
For those that believe we don't need the 2nd Amendment for what and why it was written, are dreaming of something other than reality.The more they keep wittling away at the 2nd, the more they are effectively making us slaves. Gun Control is nothing more than People Control, plain and simple.
Some think that in this day and age, we are more civilized, and don't need the right of self-defense...Human civilation really hasn't changed since the begining! We become more advanced in technology and more sophisicated through the use of that technology. But in no way does human nature really change,,,we as a species, will need self-defense untill the end of time. Just look at the written history of mankind.
The politicians of the time when this country came to be, spent a lot of time reviewing history. I wish they would do the same today.

Dave

Dave-

I think we actually agree, we are just debating semantics. We are products of our own environment, our society turns us into violent creatures. It is not something that is genetic and engraved in our DNA, it is a result of how we live. We are the only creatures in nature that destroy ourselves the way we do. We are also all slaves in our society, slaves to debt. Instead of plantation owners and Industry tycoons having slaves and indentured servants you have credit card companies and international banks that enslave us through debt. Our society is built off a never ending system of debt, which puts lots of pressure on the individual to begin with. Then add the icing on the cake given our health care, our education, inflation, less and less opportunities, and our wages have not increased yet the cost of living has. What happens when a man who makes $40k/year and doesn't get cost of living adjustments on his salary and has to support a family? Gas keeps going up in price, food has gone way up. It is actually no longer cost effective to cook for yourself. It is cheaper to eat out every day. Every time I cook for myself I spend more money than if I were to hit up a daily special at a local resturaunt or deli.

We are not violent by nature, we are violent by our own design. It is a self infliction which we put on ourself plain and simple. Until we can change, there will always be the violent and the greedy. So it is not by nature, but it is our nature, if that makes any sense.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I have no problem with anything Cyrano wrote, or with the way he said it. I didn't think he was talking down to anyone, and I didn't think he was overly negative or belligerent. Matter of fact, I thought it was a good post.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Um,
[FONT=&quot]Anyone care to challenge this quote?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Funny how more educated people get how more closed minded they become to new or old ideas! Higher education has no room for common sense eh?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
LarryO and Farmer, both of your quotes go right to the heart of the Second Amendment.If the Supreme Court examines quotes like these I can't see how they could rule that the Second Amendment is not an individual right.

·
Registered
899 Posts
One cannot be taught common sense. It is an inate ability, either you have it or you don't. An education allows one with common sense to choose when to employ, or not ,said common sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts