Gun and Game Forum banner

Is this how to get started? Does anybody like Makarov pistols?

• I don't understand!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If this doesn't work, I give up.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site has been difficult and confusing to get started on. So I just started clicking on stuff that maybe I can relate to. They wouldn't let me do anything till I did something, and I didn't know how to do anything. I forgot about trying once before. Had a different Icon and nickname. I clicked on a file with an ancient mugshot, and chose military arms because I like them, and was an infantry grunt in the army. Also like Makarovs and have a couple. Don't know how to pick a member so I will probably flunk out again. Will accept advice if available. More later, maybe. ~ Over and Out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Makarovs are fine. Recently taught a lady how to shoot one she has owned for years. Also found cheap ammo online, about $11.00 and I bought her 3, should have bought more. She also has a 380 and we could not find her ammo anywhere.

The Makarov has a better trigger than my much more expensive Walther PPK/s and about as good as any DA/SA gun I have tried. And it fired very, very well. I am former law enforcement and military and would carry it in a heartbeat. IMHO

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
I have a Bulgarian Mak, two Soviet Maks (a PM and a Baikal), a CZ-82, and a PA-63 in 9x18 Mak. They all shoot well and I'm comfortable with them, but I have to admit I like the PA-63 the best. It fits my hand best, even though every time I take it to the range I find myself muttering, "Bond. James Bond."

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a Bulgarian Mak, two Soviet Maks (a PM and a Baikal), a CZ-82, and a PA-63 in 9x18 Mak. They all shoot well and I'm comfortable with them, but I have to admit I like the PA-63 the best. It fits my hand best, even though every time I take it to the range I find myself muttering, "Bond. James Bond."
If you like that James Bond look, buy one of those PPKs in 22, mine is the nickel one and I have matching stainless suppressor on it, looks just like my stainless PPKs in 380. Lots of folks at the range have to come over and look at them. With the suppressor on it just makes you want to assassinate cans, rocks, snakes, just anything. I think mine was made in Arkansas. This link shows them from Germany, I think you would like it. IMHO
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...er+arms+ppk/s+22+lr+335"+10+1+black+synthetic

Reactions: Keith G.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makarovs are fine. Recently taught a lady how to shoot one she has owned for years. Also found cheap ammo online, about $11.00 and I bought her 3, should have bought more. She also has a 380 and we could not find her ammo anywhere.

The Makarov has a better trigger than my much more expensive Walther PPK/s and about as good as any DA/SA gun I have tried. And it fired very, very well. I am former law enforcement and military and would carry it in a heartbeat. IMHO

Is this where to reply? Worth a try. Hey Ranger 4, it's good to hear from you. this is the farthest I have got trying to get involved here. I was reading posts yesterday and found a bunch of negative crap about the Makarov I did not agree with. I had the feeling one dude enjoyed calling it a piece of Russian crap, and the more he ran his mouth, the more I suspected he had never owned or fired one. The Commies sometimes make very serviceable guns. I wonder if Mr. Badmouth has anything to say about the Kalashnikov (AK-47) Assault Rifle. If I could have replied, I might have asked him. Thanks for sharing, and helping the lady with her pistol. I sure agree about the trigger and the gun's reliability is hard to beat. I have had no trouble buying ammo for them in a gunshop right in my neighborhood. Wide variety, too. Russian surplus, even Winchester is available. I got my Bulgarian when I was a cop in the 90's. Half the dudes in my dept. were snapping them up and they were cheap. We would qualify and get permission to carry them off duty. I am going to try to post this, and I hope to rap with you some more if you get time. ~ Over and Out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are fun guns. All steel.

View attachment 146832
Hello SaigaAK74! Thanks for coming in with the nice picture. Those grips and military sights look just like my first Mak, so I'm betting it's a Bulgarian. Mine is holster worn from years of carrying in a leather holster. I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. Had it since about 1991, throw it in my range bag often no matter what else I am shooting. I swear that little chunk of military steel has never once failed to fire in all these years. That authentic holster of yours is really pretty for a Makarov holster. Did you blacken and polish it yourself? I still have mine, but it's brown and the leather seems thin and doesn't do the gun justice. I usually carry the pistol concealed in a black Kramer rig that happens to fit. Still have the rod and extra mag though. If your pistol's finish was as worn as mine, would you consider getting it coated? Just curious. It doesn't bother me, but I've had it so long it might be fun to dress it up. What's your opinion on that? My Bulgy has almost no bluing left, and it was really nice when I first got it. More later? ~ Over and Out. Keith G.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ranger4! The G&G Boss says I need 3 posts to prevent spam. So I will mention that until a year ago my only Makarov was the Bulgarian I got back around 1991. It took me until 2019 to get another.I was surfing around on ARMSLIST and ran across a photo of a super clean looking Russian Baikal IJ-70. It looked brand new, and it was for sale locally. 4 times what I paid for the Bulgarian in another lifetime. Well, I had to have it! I called the seller and asked him if he could adjust the price a little. NOPE. Well, he said he bought it new 5 years ago and swears it's never been fired. And would throw in about 500 rounds. We got together, I checked the bore and innards and could tell it hadn't been fired. Of course, I now own the gun and it shoots just as sweet as my first Mak. I would prefer a military job or an East German like anybody else, but I love the gun and I know it's another keeper. What is it about these Makarovs? I have other guns, but these are up there with my favorites. If I learn how to post a pic from my phone I will want to show them. I still don't know how to navigate this site. Thanks for helping me feel welcome. That's it for tonight! ~ Keith G. Former infantry grunt, U.S. Army. Over and Out.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I also have an IJ 70. good shooting and very dependable. the only reason I quit carrying it was because I got a CZ 82. same size & caliber but with a higher capacity and a little more modern controls.

·
Premium Member
24,519 Posts
You'll soon figure out some of the nuances of G&G Kieth. Lots of specific forums and sub forums and also some very general ones. It is much easier to navigate on a computer than a phone. Regarding the "Makarov" many owners and users cannot understand that some of the pistols that shoot the 9x18 Makarov cartridge are not "Makarovs". I had a Bulgarian Makarov several years ago that I would still rate as the absolute most dependable firearm I ever shot. Never a hiccup no matter what kind of ammo we were putting through it.

Swing by the "Introduction Forum" and make a post telling G&G membership a wee bit about yourself and many will likely extend a warm welcome. Here's a link for it...
https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/introduction.175/

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello SaigaAK74! Thanks for coming in with the nice picture. Those grips and military sights look just like my first Mak, so I'm betting it's a Bulgarian. Mine is holster worn from years of carrying in a leather holster. I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. Had it since about 1991, throw it in my range bag often no matter what else I am shooting. I swear that little chunk of military steel has never once failed to fire in all these years. That authentic holster of yours is really pretty for a Makarov holster. Did you blacken and polish it yourself? I still have mine, but it's brown and the leather seems thin and doesn't do the gun justice. I usually carry the pistol concealed in a black Kramer rig that happens to fit. Still have the rod and extra mag though. If your pistol's finish was as worn as mine, would you consider getting it coated? Just curious. It doesn't bother me, but I've had it so long it might be fun to dress it up. What's your opinion on that? My Bulgy has almost no bluing left, and it was really nice when I first got it. More later? ~ Over and Out. Keith G.
I have never done anything to my pistol except wipe down the cosmoline from the frame.
The holster came with the pistol as is, I never did anything to it to shine it up. I have been fairly lucky in getting really nice examples of the Bulgarian makarovs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey Ranger4! The G&G Boss says I need 3 posts to prevent spam. So I will mention that until a year ago my only Makarov was the Bulgarian I got back around 1991. It took me until 2019 to get another.I was surfing around on ARMSLIST and ran across a photo of a super clean looking Russian Baikal IJ-70. It looked brand new, and it was for sale locally. 4 times what I paid for the Bulgarian in another lifetime. Well, I had to have it! I called the seller and asked him if he could adjust the price a little. NOPE. Well, he said he bought it new 5 years ago and swears it's never been fired. And would throw in about 500 rounds. We got together, I checked the bore and innards and could tell it hadn't been fired. Of course, I now own the gun and it shoots just as sweet as my first Mak. I would prefer a military job or an East German like anybody else, but I love the gun and I know it's another keeper. What is it about these Makarovs? I have other guns, but these are up there with my favorites. If I learn how to post a pic from my phone I will want to show them. I still don't know how to navigate this site. Thanks for helping me feel welcome. That's it for tonight! ~ Keith G. Former infantry grunt, U.S. Army. Over and Out.
I spent a little time as and 11 Bravo, a little time in the reserve as an artillery slave, rammer on a 105, and then 95 Bravo, military police--my primary, so I remember sleeping on the ground often. I also have the honor of being the guy that carried the M60, remember those days well, while people think an 8 pound hunting rifle is far too heavy, .... 23 pounds as I recall.

I regret that I never bought a Mak when I was young and they were cheap, money is no issue now, but I have buckets of other similar handguns, 22, 22 mag, 25, 32, 380, 9mm, 38 super, 35,357, 400 corbon, 40sw, 44 spec/mag, 45 scp, 45Colt, so I just have lost interest in new handgun calibers. Well, except I might go for a 327 Federal Mag single 6 or maybe one of the new Ruger 5.7.

All that said, the one Makarov that I fired was on par with any of the pile of handguns I own, most are SWs, Colts, Rugers and others. You are lucky to find an unfired one. Now, thanks to you, I may have to take a second look. We fired 3 other 380s that day and the power of the Makarow was dramatically more when shooting steel.

Keep safe.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have several Makarov pistols and pistols chambered in 9x18. My first Makarov was the Chinese M59 which has a very nice polished finish. I have a East German Makarov made in 1963 at the Ernst Thaelman concern, a Baikal commercial Makarov with adjustable rear sight, a Tula made Soviet Makarov and two Bulgarian Makarov pistols, one is like new the other is in the process of being rebarreled to .32NAA. Pistols chambered are the PA-63 from Hungary, Polish P-64 and the very innovative P-83 and lastly a few Czech vz82 pistols that bar none are the best pistol chambered in this caliber, but that is just my opinion..I started collecting these back in the late 80's and early 90's. Today there are very few C&R imports compared to years ago...prices have gone up likewise.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
nice collection K75RT. looks like you have an example of every 9x18 pistol made.:) I'm glad I got my C&R in time to get in on the heyday of the inexpensive Cold War surplus guns. in the Makarov caliber pistols I have a Russian IJ 70, CZ 82 (4) and two P-64 s. I'd like to have a FEG and some of the other Makarov variants but they were not C&R eligible. the IJ 70 isn't C&R either but was a gift from someone who was sailing to Nicaragua and didn't want to go through Customs with it.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts