The Monstrous 30-378 Weatherby

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by vikingpreacher, May 18, 2008.

1. What do you guys think of the 30-378? This has to be the best Ultra-long Range Cartridge ever for anything bigger than deer.

2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Barrel burner, expensive to shoot, and won't kill game any better than the "lesser" .30 caliber magnums. The .30-378 was originally designed with 1,000 yard shooting competitions in mind, but seems to have a cult following among so called "hunters" who's idea of hunting is killing game at ranges in excess of 500 yards. I won't own one. While it may look appealing on paper, it's more trouble than it's worth. Heck, it's not even legal for hunting dangerous game in Africa!

3. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

I agree with midas, it is a barrel burner, the brass cost too much, box bullets are outrageous, and there are many more long range calibers that are better, cheaper, and the barrels will last longer than the shelf life of a box of cereal.

4. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Excessive in the extreme. I see no reason to drive a .30cal bullet faster than .300wm velocities for any practicle purpose.

5. Not exactly a good idea . . . .

as you reach a point of being inefficient in terms of
    velocity versus powder charge but also this thing
    is a clear and present danger to the life of your barrel.

Most of the Weatherby cartridges are arguably overbore
    in that a great deal of additional powder generates a not so great
    increase in velocity. Many people believe Weatherby's
    most "balanced" design is the .340 Weatherby.

Going beyond Weatherby is just not a smart move.
    The waste of powder and money to get a
    situation that rapidly wears out your bore through
    heat and friction produces no real gain.

6. I don;t plan on getting 1 and I agree it is a barrel burning cannon. I just find it interesting.

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I think it was a solution to a problem that never existed. sam.

8. Half azzed, why not go all the way and neck it down to .17? Then you'll have something!

9. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I think at one point I did see a 378 case necked to a .17 caliber. I'll maybe do some digging to find out.

10. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Lng Rng I think the cartridge you are thinking of is the Eargesplitten Loudenboomer found on page 141 of Vol II of Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders by P.O.Ackley, it was a 378 necked down to .22, it was developed by Bob Hutton of the technical department of Guns and Ammo in a effort to set the worlds record for velocity.
    steve

11. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

The 30-378 is a tremendous 1000yd round. It wasn't developed so much for hunting game as it was for use by snipers. Even NASA did a little experimenting with the cartridge. As for being a barrel burner.....no more so that the 220 swift.

12. Midas

You must work for Weatherby, most of your posts read like a Weatherby catalog :09:

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You are trying to tell me that you can load three times the powder and 4to5 times the bullet with a 1in10" twist barrel compared to a 1in14" and fire them and not burn the barrel any worse than a .22 cf? I would like to see that proven. sam.

14. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

well Sam, I have both and have fired almost as many rounds through each (2000+) and the wear seems to be about the same. And yes, I do have inside ball micrometers. I know that it is unusal for someone to mic their barrels but since I have the equipment, why not. I lets me know what condition they are in. It also lets me know instead of guess by looking what condition a use rifle is. Example: Moisins, AKs, SKS, etc.

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Sc928porsche: Congratulations!It's always nice to be able to not only beat the experts,but also defy the laws of physics. sam.

16. Midas

Seems to happen a lot on this forum

17. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Sorry, I just cant seem to argue with the guages.