close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The most controversial of these gadgets is an under-the-skin personal location device

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

From FOX news. Now this type of stuff make the big brother is watching you seem very real. Not just the inplanted chip but the black box for the car...the sell us "safty" and take away freedom....of course Im sure no one other than the parents would have access to this info...im sure our goverment would respect our privicy...

Monday, July 29, 2002
    By Jennifer D'Angelo

NEW YORK — From little ones prone to running off in crowds to big kids hitting the road for the first time, a bunch of new devices claim to help parents keep an "eye" on their children — even when they're not around.

The most controversial of these gadgets is an under-the-skin personal location device from Applied Digital Solutions. Using Global Positioning Satellite technology, a microchip surgically implanted in the body finds children and notifies parents of their whereabouts.

ADS says the device, which is the size of a wristwatch-face and may become even smaller, could be used to find kidnapped children, locate young kids who wander away from parents and track teens who participate in at-risk behavior.

"With an implanted device, the child doesn't have to remember to wear it. It can't be lost or stolen or stripped away. And it's totally concealed," company spokesman Matthew Cossolotto said.

A prototype will be available later this year. In the meantime, ADS already manufactures two similar products: VeriChip and Digital Angel.

Cossolotto says VeriChip ($200 plus $9.95 a month), an under-the-skin, tamper-proof method of identifying one person against another, could help prevent kidnappings like the one of Utah teen Elizabeth Smart.

"The chip would have realized that the intruder did not have permission take the girl from her home," Cossolotto said.

Digital Angel ($399 plus $29.95 a month) is a wearable GPS device that indicates when a person has moved beyond certain preset boundaries. The alerts may be sent to cell phones, computers or pagers.

"The chip has an alarm button and is hidden from any perpetrators," Cossolotto said.

Another up-and-coming product is Safe Force ($280), a "black box" for cars similar to the flight data recorder used on planes that monitors drivers' performance.

Safe Force, made by Calif.-based Road Safety, operates through a series of audio warnings that sound when a driver speeds, starts hard, breaks hard, or generally drives aggressively — and don't go away until the driver changes his behavior.

"It's like being able to sit next to your teenager every time they drive," Road Safety CEO Larry Selditz said.

Safe Force will be available in November; a GPS add-on is in development.

GPS, however, has its limitations. Buildings can impede signals and the technology is subject to the problems of cell phones and computers.

Nevertheless, many feel these devices are nothing short of miraculous.

"I've gotten over a thousand enthusiastic e-mails about Safe Force; only two complained about Big Brother invasions of privacy," Selditz said.

One famous parent, America's Most Wanted host John Walsh, whose 6-year-old son was kidnapped and killed in 1981, said GPS could be "lifesaving" on a recent episode of Larry King Live.

"It's a brilliant idea. I wish someone would develop it because, number one, time is crucial when a child is missing and you could locate them by the chip," he said. "And even if you weren't lucky enough to locate them, finding the body is crucial for two things: the ending of the search of the parents and helping with the prosecution of the case."

Other parents were more skeptical.

California resident Gina Brodt said she'd never put anything under her child's skin, but she might have considered using Digital Angel when her daughter was younger.

"I had a little one who liked to run off in the mall," she said. "I might have bought it for her."

Family Circle contributor Annie Pleshette Murphy said teaching kids to police their own behavior is the key to keeping them safe.

"So many of these devices prey on a parent's wish to protect their child 100 percent of the time," she said. "One of the hardest things about being a parent is accepting that you can't do this."

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Saw a similar story last night,only it was for Alzhiemer's people. They want us to get used to this stuff as a "good" thing,which it can be in some applications. But, the potential for abuse outweighs the good aspect. When I got my dog they wanted to know if I wanted the dog chipped,told them "no,me and my dog might not want to be found." Should have seen the looks I got.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The implantable devices CAN NOT BE USED FOR TRACKING. Period. The verichip and pet chips are simple devices that contain an ID number, similar to dog tags.They only can be used to ID a pet or child after they have been found and scanned. The ADS device seems to be a LoJack type device, not a GPS transponder.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I belive that we will end up with some type of chip to repace our ATM type cards and or medical records...for our safty and to help medical people treat us in an emergency.....once the chip is in...you can be found at will...for what ever reason....wife thinks your at a bar...pull up web site and check....(The guardian angle in this artical offers this if you visit their web site). I dont like that nothr star stuff on a car....bet the bank knows were your car is if you miss a payment or the police ask for the info.... IF (ok ill take my anti paranioa pills) they know were you are, go to and come from...what you buy...and if you change your habbits....then you are under survalance....that is what scares me.
    Ok the religous peopel will say the mark of the beast and refuse it or other such claim....but if you have to be chiped to get $$ out of your "company required" direct deposit bank account...or be chiped to purchase stuff..Im sorry this store does not accept cash...then what? Are you not going to eat? Have water, cable lights? No ammo...ok reload but you got to buy the primers..shot/bullets, powder some how (Oh Mr. Chip)... thats what I worry about. As a kid cable was unheard of...now its likee a light bill common...internet now is part of our life......debit card (I dont like credit cards) is like my pager and cell phone...dont leave home without it....so how long until the "chip" (inplanted or worn as a watch) becomes "required" to function in our society? Can you? Will you resist?

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I'll resist so much they'd have to take me out! Better dead than READ (not misspelled!) :gangster:

6. Whether or not the current chips allow tracking was not the point...as I saw it.

The idea is where could it all lead?

And, how does one know the Verichip can't be use to trace if the right technology was made 'after market' that would enable tracing? Or, is it already available and used? Does anyone no for certain?

Who REALLY knows what technology the manufactures are already putting in the chips to be used on down the road?

So, I don't buy the crap that tracing can't be done with the current chips out there.

Hint: ANY cop can stop you....put your vehicle ID in the GPS computer and follow you all day long.....You can bet you're being traced, in a sense.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2002
  7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Klaus,that's what they tell you.

8. This subject still has me miffed...to think that some think the existing chip/computer technolgies and systems are harmless.

Fact: On Star, that is sold (no option needed) by one major vehicle manufacturer IS a tracking system.

Sure, it works on GPS...but everyone knows that GPS is an off-shoot of the Star Wars missile defense satelite system.

Anyway...when you buy this vehicle you have to activate the system to use it later. When you do it sends a code that is recorded in the system and can later be used to track you. That is a fact..otherwise how would ANYONE tell you where you were to send help to you?

Secondly, the Lo Jack anti-theft system is very similar. You have it installed...activate it. Then if your vehicle is stolen the Police...not you....activate a signal over a satelite that activates the Lo Jack and they track it from there.

In fact, not too long ago we were able to find a mother and abucted Alzheimer father (with losts of money) based on the Lo Jack system.

So, this idea of not being able to track people with chip implants....I don't believe it!!!!! Period.

It's not paranoia....just seeing the reality of what can be done whether some don't want to admit it.

9. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ill cut/past fromt he digital angle web site and provide the link. As for tracking ability this secion sums it up....if my "family" can locate me with in 75 ft...24 hrs a day..then say I call wifee poo and say Im working this weekend and NOT going to the gun show....so around noon see pops on the web and finds out that Im with in 75 feet of buying an AK and not at work....that to me is being under survalance.:

http://www.digitalangel.net/works_monitor.asp

The personal monitor – a small, wireless clip-on device resembling a pager – and the ThermAlert watch (which also is a fully operational watch) are remarkable feats of engineering know-how. Five critical safety and location alerts can be transmitted from the monitor to the Digital Angel Operations Center over a wireless network.(1) The alerts are triggered by unique, reliable biosensors and envirosensors built into the monitor and watch. Once the Digital Angel Operations Center receives an alert, people specified in your profile will be notified by e-mail.(2) The position of anyone wearing a monitor can be pinpointed to within 75 feet with Global Positioning System(GPS) resources

For your peace of mind, you can also check the status of someone at any time of day or night, when you:

1. Call the Digital Angel Automated Hotline, or
    2. Visit the Digital Angel website

10. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

With any new technologically advancedment, comes the abuse of it....computers for an example people can get any information, such as your SS, blueprints of your house, and so much more that it used to would be mere impossible or cost a bundle to do.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Beats jacking the car up under a shade tree

Dale: I've got the "On Star" tracking on my wife's car. This technology is amazing and the extension of what else could be developed with this technology is mind boggling.

Personally, I like the feature in her car. It was zero'd in at the dealers parking lot so now we're findable quickly in case of a serious crash where we're unconscious or unable to seek help. The air-bag actuation will also cause the On Star to contact 911 and tell them our exact location.

In addition, another feature of the On-Star technology is that the car's mechanical systems can be analyzed through the onboard computer signals which are relayed up to the ECHO satelites and back to the car manufacturer's technology center.

Beats jacking the car up under a shade tree and getting out my wrenches.

Oxford:nod:

12. Areed--verichip is not a tracking device -- used for ID and security reasons only. The new chip with GPS technology is. I listened to Hannity on the radio a few days ago. His guest was one of the creators of the verichip and this new tracking device.
    Mark of the beast--not likely. The mark spoken of in revelation is to show your allegiance to the anti christ. You will have a choice.
    If they give you an option--right hand or forehead--then you might have a reason for concern.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2002
  13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thet probably won't give you an option should it happen. You will have a voice that doesn't count.

14. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well what about if I give you the option to register your guns or not, its all about tolerance boys!!

First its register your Full-Auto, then your assualt and right down to single shot, then we take them.

So first we put them in your kids arms they have kids and they will place tracking systems on them, and they do not think about it because their parents before them had it, and society as a whole can't be wrong ideas will be stuck in their head!!!

Think Think!!

15. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. You will service us.

16. Most any advances in technology can be abused by someone with the mind set to do so. I remember warning how computers would lead to world demise, millions of jobs lost, etc. yet now it is hard to picture not having one, if we didn't none of us would be communicating now. same with cell phones, autos, etc, I could go on.

The point is that the technology can do enormous good in the proper situation, just think of that girl that was abucted and killed a few weeks ago. If the police could have found her quickly she might be alive. The military has already been using both GPS and other tracking devices to locate and find soldiers, equipment, etc in the field.

I am not a big fan of the implant idea but a device that could be worn (hidden) or carried and then removed when not needed for a child could make the difference.

17. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Stewart: I think you're right on target with your comment. What you said was exactly what I think, too.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2002
  18. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

I think it is a good idea to have a device to track children. Do you think the parents, of the two girls who were recently kidnapped, were told the truth about their locations? Yeah right.
    Ask anyone who had their child kidnapped if chip tracking is the right thing to do.
    Too many parents have blind trust of their children. An accurate tracking systemmakes one less thing to worry about. I think there are a lot of parents out there who claim that their children do not lie to them. I am not saying that all kids are bad, but children are getting away with much more than they used to.

19. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I hope my boss don't find out about this, he'll have one shoved up the butt of everyone in the sales dept!

20. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Jerry: You've got a good point. It's good for someone else but leave me alone. (ha)