The "muzzle cap" on Ruger American rifles.

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by chap_who_hunts, Oct 23, 2020.

1. I bought two such rifles recently: Predator in 6.5 CM and Ranch in 5.56 NATO. Both have this thing that screws on the end of the barrel. Both were loose on both rifles when I got them new.

The guy at Academy sold me the Predator. I asked him about the loose muzzle cap. He said use a crescent wrench. I though he was full of solid horse waste. I talked to Ruger customer service. The woman there on the telephone said the MUZZLE CAP or BARREL CAP screws on hand tight. I was told by Ruger not to use oil on the treads of these caps. I guess I'm not supposed to put shotgun choke tube lube on them also.

The Ruger Predator has to go back to Ruger for some gunsmith work under warranty. The matte black finish is wearing off the receiver, small spots, from nomad gun cleaning with rubbing alcohol, armorer's toothbrush, clean white patched and some 30-year-old RemOil I still have in a spray can. I use gun oil ever so sparingly. The gun is also hard to get into battery chambering a round from the magazine. The bolt has to be shut hard in order to rotate into battery position. If the bolt is not rotated into battery and opened again, a round in the chamber might fail to extract as this is the el-cheepo push-feed type.

Oh, by the way, speaking of new rifles, this notion of "breaking in rifles" by the way is pure solid horse waste. My Ruger manuals say nothing of the sort.

jwrauch likes this.
  2. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

Choke tube grease is fine. I've always used a crescent wrench to snug it up. Not gorilla tight, just snugged.

jwrauch likes this.

3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Are you talking about the muzzle thread protector?

The barrels are pre threaded so you can put on a muzzle device or (more popular these days) a direct thread suppressor.
    All the thread protector does is... protect the threads vs leaving it bare.

Hand tight is fine because its designed to come off easily. Its not uncommon for them to come a bit loose after a bit of firing. If you dont suppress your guns or put on a muzzle device like a flash hider or comp or whatever you can always just put a little rubber O-ring on first and then screw the thread protector on and that will usually help keep it tight and unscrewing itself from recoil.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Merle, Dutch, Ranger4 and 4 others like this.
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Like TACAV said it is simply a thread protector. Not supposed to be reamed tight. It protects the threads that are there for a muzzle or flash device. Put one wrap of Teflon tape on threads and tighten

5. I might just use one wrap of thread tape and snug a hair with a crescent wrench or a fixed open wrench of I have the correct size to go acrossed the flats. Rocky at Academy who sold me this gun said one could use a soft cloth in the jaws of the wrench to prevent marring. Many a gun have been round due to incorrect tools or incorrect use of tools. I'll have to put a roll of thread tape in my gunsmithing tool box for that purpose. I still feel it prudent to put a film of oil on those treads to inhibit rust. This thread protector should be removed ion occasion to inspect, clean and re-protect with an oil film. No, I don't want this stupid thing to work its way loose while the rifle is being fired. The Ruger manual doesn't address this part at all.

Most hunting rifles don't have threaded muzzles traditionally. Ruger American bolt-action rifles are something of a crossover between traditional hunting rifles and tacticool/plastic/poly guns. It's paramilitary meets Bambi-getter. I'm frankly surprised there is no bayonet lug on these Rugers. I guess Ruger still wants the Predator to lean more toward Bambi-getter than "Rambo-esque". I use the "Rambo" stereotype to connote paramilitary-style weapons.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. austinjoe13

Hunting rifles are threaded because of the growing popularity of suppressors, not to appear “paramilitary.”

BigEd63 and 455rocket like this.
  7. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Yup, I know many a night time,coyote hunter who use suppressors.
    As to be polite,and not wake up the neighbors at 2am. Or disturb livestock.(Farmer Brown, might get a little upset if you killed all the coyotes, but his chickens quit laying.)
    Plus at night, without a lot of other noises, it is real easy for a yote to figure direction, so you could miss out on an extra kill or two.
    If you are extricating true currently active, nuisance animals, using a suppressor can be a game changer.

8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

once you got it snugged in place don't be playing with it.
    you'll change the tension on the end of the barrel.
    if you don't know what that does then gohead and keep messin with it.

BigEd63 and Moroco Mole like this.
  9. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I got into suppressors a few years ago and learned to thread barrels. Unless there is a fixed front sight I do not want to move back, I am threading basically all of my rifles, especially hunting rifles.

About 15 years ago, we varmint hunters noticed that the reduction in sound seemed to confuse coyotes if you happened to shoot high. They did not seem to know the direction the shot came from. Then we noticed that if you had a pair of coyotes and shot one, the second one would not seem to know where the shot came from and often would just stand there wondering what happened to his buddy, so we were sold. Later, everybody who hunts deer suppressed noticed the same thing and of course hog hunters jumped on that band wagon. Guns that I shoot with 3,000 fps muzzle velocity are still loud where I am, but not so much down range. Something about the suppressors lowers the flash and sound to where it is harder for animals to locate the source.

I modified 2 hunting rifles this last year and wish I had known 40 years ago. I am planning on threading my 257 Weatherby for use in the upcoming deer season and will be threading a lever action later, it requires cutting the loading tube so it is winter project for me. After that I am moving on to thread a British 303 which came to me modified already. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any gun as it comes from the factory if it meets your need and desires. Me, I am old and easily bored, so I modify stuff, I create bizarre loads and have fun doing so. I have invented things just because I do not like or want to pay for what is available in the market.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. FWIW

but suppressors are just a smart thing to do for hunting and doing what I like to do without people down the road complaining.

Also, keep in mind that if you move the threads to different points, it will affect barrel harmonics. The entire theory of the Browning Boss, muzzle devise was to find the sweet spot at which to set the bolt to cut down the most in barrel vibrations, which then would improve accuracy.

https://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/boss-system.html

Your muzzle cap is nothing but a bolt on a screw. Just tighten it an forget about it. Take if off an oil it every 20 years, no more. Forget about any rust on the threads, they are sealed and normal oil of the barrel will fill the points where the threads meet the barrel.

TACAV and Dutch like this.
  10. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I’ve hunted without a suppressed rifle. It’s a lot better with a suppressor.

As for your thread protector, all good suggestions for keeping it from backing off. Personally, I like purple loctite. Not red, not blue, but purple. A little dab of silicone on the threads will also keep it from backing off. Or a simple o-ring. There’s no reason to have to crank on it and risk stretching the threads.

Ranger4, BigEd63 and TACAV like this.
  11. chris l2018

chris l2018 G&G Evangelist

UK
  12. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

JB WELD ?:confused: LOL:D:D

BigEd63 likes this.
  13. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Why does this sound like a d p Holland post????????

14. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Get a some Red Permatex brand thread locker if you really won't ever want to put any muzzle device on it.

Or if the looks are that bothersome I'd just have it cut off and muzzle recrowned.

15. austinjoe13

It was him. It's been taken care of.

cooker300 and K75RT like this.