Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
A jazzed-up Bushmaster with some slick spin and a cutesy name - it's the new "Zumbo-Friendly" model to placate and draw the Fudds into the AR game.
If it sells, all the better.
But, it's an expensive entry into an already flooded market.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I didn't know this but I saw a Bushy that looked EXACTLY like one of these at the range today, it was for sale like 1100 bones. I thought it was one of these remingtons I keep hearing about but I looked and sure enough theres a snake on the lower.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I'd take a DPMS or Bushmaster anyday, over that Remmy. There is something about Remington making an AR that just doesn't fit right.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Remington and Bushmaster are now under the same company. These Remington ARs are made by Bushmaster with Remington defined options. So basically if you want a camo free floated AR made by Bushmaster, here you go. The prices may not be all that horrible for the options IF those are the options you want.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
I don't question the quality of the rifle - I'm sure it's a very nice AR knockoff. BUT . . . can the market support yet another AR, when it's become almost a cottage industry to build them? These companies are, these days, run by the bean counters - I can't see this entry generating enough beans to keep it in production long.

What I would really hate to see, would be perhaps Bushmaster being absorbed into Remington, losing their own identity. Corporations do that too often! :bigeyes:

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Neat idea but needs their new cartridge

The new Remington is a neat, but not really
original, idea. I cannot understand why it is is 204 caliber rather than the new Remington cartridge that is supposed to fall between the 223 and the 308. That would be a sales pickup for their new cartridge.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Anyone taken one of these for a run yet? I'm looking at one for pest control work as we can't get much in the way of semi autos over here.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
its a bushmaster varmint rifle with the remington named stamped on it +some ugly cammo. it would work well for pest control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yea i agree with andrew here and think i might be in the market for one since i lost 25 chickens to some yotes who have been patroling the woods around my house.

put a nice scope on it and with a 50 yards for a maximum shot around here in otis mass, im gunna be putting some yotes to sleep for good!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Since i already am a remington guy if i were in the market for an AR I'd look into it, then again as long as a gun shoots good I don't care who its made by. :werd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My R-15 won't shoot!

I just bought a Remington Model R-15 VTR and it won't shoot! I mounted a Nikon "Coyote" scope in the Nikon rings, both with the matching camo. First thing I noticed is that the Nikon rings are too short. They need to be at least another 1/2" taller.

I sighted the gun in with Winchester 55gr ball ammo and my groups were between 3" and 4" at 100yds. I suspected the Nikon scope because I know three other Nikons that would not hold their zero. I removed the Nikon and mounted a proven Leupold 3-10X on it. I put together some match quality ammo and the groups were about 2.5", spread horizontally (no wind today!). I tried the 55gr ball ammo again and the groups opened up to the same 3" to 4" spread as before. Tomorrow, I will call Remington and see what they will do about it. I expect this rifle to shoot under 1". Anybody else had similar results?

Lorancen

·
Registered
1 Posts
re: My R-15 won't shoot!

When I purchase a new rifle I test several different loads, sometimes more to find out just what it "likes". From what I read, it appears you tried 2 types and then conclued it "wont shoot". I could write a book about quality rifles that only will shoot one or two bullet load configurations out of all available hand loads (and factory). One reason I reload to to make sure I match te rifle to the ammo. Doing this with factory ammo isn't feasable unless you can buy three at a time. So lets not throw this rifle under the truck just yet. I'm willing to bet there is a perfect match out there just waiting for it to be discovered.:rocketwhore:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dittos

When I purchase a new rifle I test several different loads, sometimes more to find out just what it "likes". From what I read, it appears you tried 2 types and then conclued it "wont shoot". I could write a book about quality rifles that only will shoot one or two bullet load configurations out of all available hand loads (and factory). One reason I reload to to make sure I match te rifle to the ammo. Doing this with factory ammo isn't feasable unless you can buy three at a time. So lets not throw this rifle under the truck just yet. I'm willing to bet there is a perfect match out there just waiting for it to be discovered.:rocketwhore:
I agree, last rifle I bought (Rem 700 /06) I probably tried 7 different kinds of ammo, some of it high dollar premium stuff, and I found one brand that just shot rings around the other brands.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Any idea how they go with bullets in the 50-55 grain weight range?
That setup is practically identical to my Rock River, except I have a heavier (.750", as opposed to .680") barrel that's 2" shorter...

I'd say they do alright with 55gr Remington hollowpoints, don't you?

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
I just bought a Remington Model R-15 VTR and it won't shoot! I mounted a Nikon "Coyote" scope in the Nikon rings, both with the matching camo. First thing I noticed is that the Nikon rings are too short. They need to be at least another 1/2" taller.

I sighted the gun in with Winchester 55gr ball ammo and my groups were between 3" and 4" at 100yds. I suspected the Nikon scope because I know three other Nikons that would not hold their zero. I removed the Nikon and mounted a proven Leupold 3-10X on it. I put together some match quality ammo and the groups were about 2.5", spread horizontally (no wind today!). I tried the 55gr ball ammo again and the groups opened up to the same 3" to 4" spread as before. Tomorrow, I will call Remington and see what they will do about it. I expect this rifle to shoot under 1". Anybody else had similar results?

Lorancen
Your local academy will sell a riser mount made by Pro-Mag, and they're cheap enough that you should get one for every scope you plan on using with this rifle as it has knobbed clamps that will facilitate easy removal and installation of various scopes.

The first thing I would check out is the trigger. Being a Bushmaster product in a Remington box, and triggers on standard AR15s being typically the "weak link" in the accuracy department, massage it using the "15 minute" method of polishing the moving parts and lightening the springs per the YouTube instructions.

Beyond that, check the crown to make sure you haven't dinged it. If it's not the trigger or the crown, the problem is likely to reside somewhere between the grip and the ground...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts