close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The newbie shot his Garand

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by ltcboy, Apr 25, 2002.

1. I was at the range today and I finally got to shoot my new Garand. My order from cheaperthandirt.com didnt get here so I went to Wal-Mart and got some .308 Winchester. That is the barrel that Tony Giacobbe put in the rifle. I can honestly say I shot off 60 rounds and I was getting 3 inch groups at 100 yards (benchrest). I was very impressed with the way the rifle actually felt, like I was dancing with my prom date! What a pain in the *** it is to load the clips when your just starting out. I have one question-- there were times when I would load the clip in and the bolt would not automatically slide forward, I had to push it in place with my hand. Is this due to the rifle being almost new?? Is there a way for me to correct it? Am I the cause of the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated--

Ltcboy

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

It's fairly normal with the clips to have to bump them,usually new ones with park as thick as tank armor,try some old worn one's.

3. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

NO you are not the cause,the garand sometimes does not close automatically when loaded.This can be a good thing if you are new to the garand you don't need a M1 thumb.Most of the time the clip is a little to tight and the rifle can't strip the first round,Or the op rod spring might need to be replaced,you can find a spring kit at www.Brownells.com #080-665-900 They also have the McCann M-1 adjustable gas system#100-000-402 helps to reduce wear and softens recoil.and the easyest way I have found to load the clips is to put the clip in the palm of my hand open end faceing away from you,sit 5 or 6 rounds in and put the others in from the end.I hope I have helped the Garand is the Best rifle made with a little TLC it will last you a life time. Happy Shooting

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Most ranges don't let you load clips. They want you to fire single shot.

John Holbrook 360-671-8522 (West Coast)

Has a neat gismo that makes yer clip stay in and act like a magazine. Also makes it so the clip does pop out at the end of the cycle.