close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "Old Method"

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by E-9, Jun 7, 2002.

1. E-9

E-9 G&G Newbie

I want to step back in time and for special reasons I want to load the "old way" using tools like the "Classic Lee Loader" or the
    "lyman 310"..... Is there other systems ?????????
    Which one is the best ?????????
    Why is it the best.

Thank you for reading and any help would be greatfully appreciated. ..........regards........E-9..........................................

2. Steve Redgwell

Steve Redgwell G&G Newbie

I think that's a matter of personal preference. Having owned both, I prefer the Lee. The reason is because I found gripping and squeezing the handle difficult with the Lyman. :rolleyes: It was easier for me to tap the cases in and out with the LL.

I suppose you'll get a bunch of replies, but if you can lay your hands on either at a gun show or a used equipment bin they're cheap enough to get both. You may have some difficulty finding dies for the Lyman, although I believe they made them available at their site a while ago.
    I still use the LL for most cals. Since 99% of my rifles are bolt actions, I prefer the ease of neck sizing, no lube and compactness of the kit. I seat the bullets on a conventional press and use a hand primer.

Safe Shooting! :nod:
    Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

3. elbStJoeMO

elbStJoeMO G&G Newbie

"old method"?

I remember when the Lee Loaders came out!! I'm 60 but you make me feel really old.OUCH!

4. E-9

E-9 G&G Newbie

Thanks Steve for the reply....I am going to take your advice and buy both loaders.. I want to load the Swede 6.5X55, 30-06 and the 308 Win... I have an Israli Mauser and will probably start with
    the 7.62X51 nato because I haven't worked out in my head the 308 Win vs Nato controversy..... again thank you for the advise.
    Oh yes,,, what's with this board,,,,,,I asked these questions and get 1 tech post.......a dude askes the same question (lee loader) abt 10 threads later and the guys give him 10 replys.. sure looks like a bunch of horse apples to me....... thanks Steve

5. E-9

E-9 G&G Newbie

Hi elb.......sorry I made you feel so old......... I notice you are from
    ST. Joe....... I hunted those Mo river bottoms and bluffs between
    Ole Jesse town and Atchison when I was younger,, had a whale
    of a trap line that kept me in money in those days. Not much money .. but enough...... I enjoy the joe town people and they were very nice to me........ I was born in 30, .................best
    regards...........robt

6. Steve Redgwell

Jeez, I don't know why the LL thread got more action. Perhaps because few people are really knowledgeable about the Lyman and have been convinvced that a LL is no good. That's the ad men for you.
    I don't suggest that the LL be used as is. A few add ons make it faster than using a single stage press for the same job. I've told this story a few times but it's a good one.
    When I taught reloading classes about half the handgun instructors told their class to get a progressive press right away. Well that's fine if you've got some experience, but it's not the best tool to start with IMO. (We may even get some replies telling me what I just typed is crap) :)
    I said to another instructor one afternoon that I'd race him. We'd both start with 20 freshly fired cases and we'll deprime, resize and reprime, ready for powder. Using the LL and a handpriming tool, I was finished and he was still wiping the lube off of the resized cases.
    Used in conjunction with other common reloading equipment, the LL is faster. If you were to have an inexpensive small press with a universal decapper permanently mounted to a bench, you can deprime all of them, wipe off the outside of the cases, bash them in and out (without lube, 'cause it's not needed) and reprime with a handtool. If you have a single stage press, you can mount the seating die and not have to worry about swapping out the resizer. Depending on how much you shoot, you may have to full length resize on occasion, but that's not much trouble either.
    Sorry to be longwinded. As I've seen across these boards LL are used more than people will admit.

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com

7. E-9

E-9 G&G Newbie

Thanks Steve........I really appreciate your advise,,,I copied it all
    down for future reference.....and I'm going to have at it this Wed..
    Don't worry I'm no "Johhny-come-lately", and I've spent my life with making a living using fire arms one way or the other. I paid
    my dues with the military and then some.. I also rode that horse
    that no one wanted to ride and went to those places not one wanted to go.... I'm not complaining,, I came back. thanks Steve.

8. Steve Redgwell

If you want to read an article about the Lee Loader, I've got one at my site. It's called, "The Lee Loader: Thinking Out of the Box". It deals with the 303 British, but any cartridge can be substituted.
    I've won many shoots using that little box. And it's helped with my hunting success as well.
    I believe that moves towards single stage and progressive presses are fine, but thinking reloaders should take advantage of everything that's available and work out a system that brings them success.

Here's my site link. http://www.303british.com

Steve Redgwell
    303british.com