Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I live inside the city limits. I have about 14 acres and I am the ONLY residence on my road, on the Arkansas side anyway. The Oklahoma/Arkansas line runs right on the edge of the road on my property. We have a lot of coyotes cross our property.

I have a Great Pyrenees and a Rottweiler, but I worry about the possibility of rabies, so I don't cut them loose on the coyotes when I see them. I do, however, have a solution. My 1947 Mossberg 44US(c). For those who are not familiar with the Mossy, they were originally designed and built for the Army as training rifles. It has a rod that screws in to the bottom of the magazine, allowing for using shorts without them moving forward in the magazine. With CCI CB Caps it is as quiet, even quieter, than most suppressed 22s I have shot.

I have it sighted in at 75 yards and have shot a couple of coyotes without alerting any of my neighbors in Oklahoma. ;)

Here is a picture of my Mossy and the 'Pill' that does the trick.....
View attachment 165673
View attachment 165674 T
This is my close range Coyote & Pig Gun Ruger 10/22 ,FAB Defense Stock , Sightmark Wraith Digital DAY / NIGHT Scope , I use the 40 grain CCI Velocitor copper plated Hollow Point at 1435 fps it hits hard penetrants deep and has killed several coyotes and hogs out to 100 yards .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice beards right there!!! I noticed rabbits are starting to show back up around here. Maybe the 'yotes are getting the feral cats! I don't know, but I haven't seen any around in a while.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
They will get the feral cats but the cats in the photos above were pets that were part of a family and loved .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
full auto BB gun, now thats something that i need to look into!
The Full Auto BB gun would not be enough for a coyote , But Hatson makes a full auto pellet rifle that hits as hard as a 22 Rimfire in fact they make .22 , .25 , .30 calibers .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Back in the late 50's when I was in high school we hunted coyotes because there was a $5 bounty on them. Easy way to make 'big money' back then.
They are so BAD Here that SCDNR is talking about $50 bounty on them .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine is the Umarex, about $99 on Ebay or Amazon. They have some nice ones that look like an AR but they are not cheap. They are only about 480 fps but pretty good thumpers out to 40-50 yards. Not going to kill anything but a deterrent to animals. Cats and stray dogs do not like them at all.

View attachment 165739 Amazon.com : Umarex Steel-Storm .177 Caliber BB Gun Air Pistol, Black : Hunting Air Guns : Sports & Outdoors
Nothing says NOT WELCOME HERE than a non lethal FULL AUTO BB GUN.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
The Full Auto BB gun would not be enough for a coyote , But Hatson makes a full auto pellet rifle that hits as hard as a 22 Rimfire in fact they make .22 , .25 , .30 calibers .
Interesting, this would be moreso for fun and maybe chasing off some of the dang squirrels that torment my dogs. so a bb gun would be fine, I should try and pull out my old daisy 880 bb gun and see if itll still run.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Guess so! Don't feel under gunned with my magnum at 50-60 yards for woods hunts.
.22 Magnum is a good cartridge out to 200 yards on Coyotes but at 50 - 60 yards the .22 LR works fine .The reason I use .22lr I am often in close proximity of other Domestic farm animals ,dwellings , Farm Equipment , Aircraft.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
They are so BAD Here that SCDNR is talking about $50 bounty on them .
$50 each if publicized would solve the problem for a while. That would create enough interest for guys to travel a distance. Where we live in Oklahoma there are calling contests around the state each year. However, there is a movement to make them illegal, New Mexico has even made coyote contests illegal. There is even a group of "scientists" who claim that killing coyotes does not aid ranching. (maybe they need on rancher on their committee) I am thinking these scientists have not spent much time in the Southwest of the West. I have watched them chase horses in a very serious way, trying to bite the back legs just like wolves take down elk. Only 2 in that bunch and not much risk to the horses, but I have sat in trees and watched them hunt in packs of 8. 8 is a threat to anything on 2 or 4 legs.

I once had a mare that loved coyotes, you could see the joy on her face, when she laid her ears back and went after them. Wish I had made a video. Did not matter how far away they were, if she saw them, she went as fast as she could.

Note this article, about how immoral it is to kill coyotes. LOL Point of View: It’s time to end wildlife killing contests in Oklahoma (oklahoman.com) You will notice that one of the hunts was sponsored by a church. We are backward folks here. And proud of it.

I also hunt on a military base where the hunting slots are decided by a daily lottery. The lead biologist came up with a plan that works pretty well. If you bring in a dead coyote then you do not participate in the lottery, you go to the head of the line and have your choice of locations to hunt. If you draw a lousy deer spot and a yote walks by, you shoot the yote and get a guaranteed good spot tomorrow.

Choot em.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Doing my part I have killed 52 coyotes this year if every hunter kills just 1 coyote a year he is doing nature a favor.

These seven coyotes were all taken at once with a Semi Auto 12 Gauge Shotgun with 3" Magnum BB STEEL SHOT ,6 shot fired in rapid secession at 25 yards they never seen it coming.
Now after showing my wife the pics she wants a black coyote coat. I have only seen one that was black like that but it was 30 yards from my door and didn't have time for a shot. We didn't want to use the caller because we have dogs and want to keep them away from here. When I worked for a certain Government agency, I always carried a coyote gun and caller with me as I was all over several counties. Had a few people see them in the back of the truck and thought I might get fired, but the job sucked anyway and I quit after a few years.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Speaking of hunting them. Watch until the end...

Thank you for posting that. Had a wolf hybrid once and a coyote attacked him in my yard. My guy was only about 5-6 months old and never been in a fight. The coyote attacked him head on and the fight was on. I ran inside to grab a gun and when I came out they were in the bottom of the creek with yelping and thrashing around I was sure my guy was gonna die. I could hear it but could not see them for a shot.

Then I saw the coyote sliver up the off bank and my little wolf-dog came up holding his head high and looking proud. Damm coyotes are aggressive contrary to the PETA clan. Always love a good ending. Also, was fun to watch my mare and coyotes, she loved them on sight.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts