Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here in Ohio, people have noticed a decline in turkeys. Agreed, the coyote is at the top of the food chain. Lets not forget about the raccoon. IMHO, not many are hunted any more. So that make there numbers go way up. Raccoons, may be a big probelm, with eating eggs of the turkey. This is what I belive about what the scientists and experts say. If some one has a job, and wants to keep it. When that some one has to do a servey, that servey will come out the wat there boss wants it to. At one time, maybe you could beleive the serveys. Today, the findings seem to be so far out, it make you shake your head and wonder.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
More PETA nonsense! Kill as many as you can and save the other wildlife, pets, and ranch animals. THEY ARE PREDATORY VERMIN!
I was very serious when I wrote that, $50 each would be motive enough for people to travel. I put $125 of diesel in my truck last week, the limit the card will allow at a gas pump. It holds 33 gallons, or $171.60 for a full tank. It gets about 17-18 so traveling a 100 miles and back is over $60. Even a gas truck would be over $50. If two or three guys thought they could kill a few and get $50 each for them, lots of guys would load up and go.

I think this cost of gas is going to hurt lots of folks who hunt a lot. It is 230 miles to my deer hunt place, no big deal for me because I only go a couple times per year. But when we were young we hunted most weekends, Young guys may not have the extra cash for $5-$6 gas. That bounty would solve that, but gov is not likely to do that. The only option would be for one of the cattleman's organizations to sponsor a contest or two. Maybe just offer the bounty for a month in certain counties. Coyotes do not kill a lot if cattle, except in hard winters or when snow is on the ground, and they they do. Calves are born in Feb and March, the hunt needs to be in the months before, pelts are prime then also. A cow today that survives will sell for $1500-$2000. Does not take many to hurt a rancher.

As I mentioned above, I sat in a tree in SW Colorado and watched a pack of 8 as they worked a field I was watching for elk. I often hear they do not run in groups that big, however, Saw it myself. I was black powder hunting, so I had a single shot front loader. There were so many I was concerned about the mile back to the truck. So right at dark, I shot one, and of course they scattered. I reloaded and climbed down. I have nevere given coyotes any thought as to a risk,but watching that Bunch systematically running around that field digging out rats and mice, I was concerned. Back then you could not legally carry a handgun when you hunted archery or black powder. I may or may not have had my Glock 19 along. Just saying.

There are people/coyote attacks every week, they just do not get much publicity. Unless you are the Gov of Texas and shoot one that attacks your pup, or Paris Hilton who had her fufu dog snatched while on a leash..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interested in Coyote hunting and have day and night rifle set ups. I'm just looking for some guys that don't mind showing a newbie the ropes and areas to hunt in Southern Nevada. I have no problem traveling a few hours to hunt either. I just want to get out there and start learning. I am a shooter, rifle builder, retire professional athlete in good shape still. Moved to Las Vegas in 1999 and have gone dove and quail hunting. Just put in for my first Elk tag this year. I grew up in Michigan and my family had a dairy farm and lots of land for Duck, Goose and whitetail. I have not hunted in a long time so I am a little rusty.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts