Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard whispers that Ruger will be putting out a Marlin 45-70, due to start shipping in Mid-December. They say it will be slow though.

"Number one priority that you'll see coming out – and it will probably be mid-December when we launch it and begin shipping those guns, again I gotta caution folks it will be slow to start – but we'll focus initially on the 1895," said Killoy. "Likely the SBL model, the Stainless Big Loop, in .45 Government."

Anyone else hear about this?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I collect levers. I have the stainless Guide Gun with walnut stock which is much like the one in the picture. I have killed lots of big game, but none with the 45-70, so it is a new venture for me. I am thinking hogs in the spring.

Glad I got it before the change. I also have a couple of Model 1894C, in 357, going to the grand kids and a Marlin 1895, in 410 shotgun, a Cabela's exlcusive a few years ago.

I have several other brands and calibers of levers and like them all.,Everybody should own at least one lever action rifle, it is man thang. With the delay of Ruger/ Marlin getting started, now might be a good time to find the used guns in 30-30 or course or the better 35 Rem or even 32 Special. One mistake I made was not buying one of those Marlin 30-30s in stainless steel, sorry I missed out on that one. That said, new production will be limited and only to the best sellers. With the Zombie apocalypse coming and everyone stocking up on 148 shot ARs, and 40 shot 9mms, now might be a good time to grab some used bargains in the Marlin lever guns.

Reactions: ChaZam and Dutch

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Around here the older ones are G-O-N-E..... gone off the racks. Unless an older high prices collectors piece or a Henry, which ain't bad.

For my big mitts and frame I have a preference for the Marlin 336 or a similar proportioned quality copy.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
i'll wait for the good stuff like 38-40, 32-20, 327 fed.
i got a 45-70 etc, but might maybe could be talked into a 20-24" in 357 or another 375 win.
I have 357s in 16, 18, and 20, 2 Marlins and 2 Rossis. Nothing wrong with a 24 inch barrel at all, they look great and feel great with the 8 sided barrel of course. But I think you do not gain any velocity beyond 16 inches in the 357. Of course factory ammo is loaded for handguns, so you might use a slower powder and get more, but when Ballistics by the Inch did it, every round tested lost velocity when the barrel went from 16 to 18 inches.. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results
Now you mentioned the 327 Federal. I doubt Marlin with make those for a while, and I doubt they are any better than those I have in 357 when loaded with 110 grain bullets, however, they would indeed be a fun gun, especially if you had the matchiing Ruger Single 7 they call it. The carbines whether Marlin, Winchester or Rossi with the 16 inch barrel are really a handy little gun. The 16 inch 357 will generate 1,300 foot pounds with factory ammo that you can buy anywhere. With the Buffalo Bore specialty ammo they will generate up to 1,450 foot pounds. Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition (buffalobore.com)

I hunt open country and do not use levers for deer. But for everything else, I just like to carry them and really enjoy having them around camp or any place a gun might be needed to dispatching critters, defense or whatever. I now have a debate, do I take the 16 inch 357 lever in the RV or the 300 BLK pistol?

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
520 Posts
Around here the older ones are G-O-N-E..... gone off the racks.
I say No. The early Marlin guns are around to buy. Here is my recent one:
Water Grass Wood Roof Metal

Building material Asphalt Event Flooring Metal

This is a 1949 Marlin 336 in 30/30.

I hope the new Marlin rifles from Ruger will be good with the best parts and the best wood stocks.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Maybe in your area but not around here unless you want to fork over a bunch of cash.

But great find regardless 👍

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
520 Posts
Maybe in your area but not around here unless you want to fork over a bunch of cash.

But great find regardless 👍
I am here in GA with an active free 2A community that freely trades around among 6 million guys. We have a forum and do our trades with citizens.

I talked to a guy in Maryland who must trade with his family and friends with a FFL. How did this ever happen under The Constitution? How do you guys just live without your 2A Rights? I'd rather move than submit to your local government rules.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
RFF it isn't about the ballistics it's about the balance of the rifle.
a 24" octagon barrel in 35 cal is too heavy, a 16" round is too light and it tends to wander.
the trick is getting the balance and weight good enough to settle down that front sight.

i don't need more than 15-1600 fps, and i generally only run my hunting loads in the 1400 fps. area with soft lead bullets as it is.
compare a 44 or 45 caliber bullet to a 50 or 54 cal round ball and you'll see why i do that.

i have an easy 20 lever rifles [i can see 12 from here, without actually going in the gun room] ranging from the 25-20 up through the 45-70.

i for sure don't need any more 30-30's or 44 mag lever rifles... LOL.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I am here in GA with an active free 2A community that freely trades around among 6 million guys. We have a forum and do our trades with citizens.

I talked to a guy in Maryland who must trade with his family and friends with a FFL. How did this ever happen under The Constitution? How do you guys just live without your 2A Rights? I'd rather move than submit to your local government rules.
I'm not in maryland I'm in Arkansas and have zero restrictions on the state level. We even have Constitutional Carry as in no permit needed open or concealed.
I'm just referring to the general market here. It's pretty tight right now here for what I want.

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll wait for the good stuff like 38-40, 32-20, 327 fed.
i got a 45-70 etc, but might maybe could be talked into a 20-24" in 357 or another 375 win.
I happened to come into a truckload of 32 H&R Magnum ammo. The wife wanted a lever gun and I took the opportunity. I found a few Marlins, but didn't want to sell the house, so I settled on a Henry .327 FM. I was thoroughly surprised and thoroughly pleased with the Henry. Bought it used and it came without an extractor...no, he didn't tell me (Gunbroker). I called Henry, explained my dilemma, and in a week I had everything I needed at a cost of $0.00! How bout dat? That is some serious customer service, seeing as none of this was their problem and they still took care of me! Sorry, I'm off course.

I don't see Marlin/Ruger making a 327 either, but I sure wish they would!!!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I certainly don’t have any use for another lever action, but I’ve got a soft spot for Ruger. I’ve been pretty vocal here about the problems I’ve had with several Rugers, but I still favor them. It’s likely I’ll end up with one, assuming the quality is there.
Thanks for sharing, I missed this news.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I am hoping to get another couple of lever actions and was all set to buy a Cowboy 1894 45 Colt when Marlin went tits up. Now I have to wait for Ruger to start sending them to distributors so I can pick one up.
I also want a 1895 45-70 Cowboy as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts