Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the weather has been getting cooler at night and each moring aI wake up to the crisp air of the approching fall. Saturday starts the grouse and dove hunt which here pretty much signals the hunting season with deer elk and bear right around teh corner. I can't wait until Saturday morning my only delema to hunt doves in the valley or head right up to the mountians and shoot grouse (lots of blues, pine hens and ruffies here). Anxious to see the look on my boys face when I give him his new Berreta 20 gauge (already shot it several times just to make sure of course) Anyone else get the same, wild kind of feeling as I do this time of year? when the temp starts dropping and the quakies are begining to light to yellow. It's like some kind of instinct drawing me out to hunt for food.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I do feller...I go to bed and start thinking and planning what I'm gonna do.
Though it's still hot as a witches tiddy here in South Arkansas I feel the season about to change, the air seems not as humid or something.
I have't Dove hunted in years and were not as fortunit to have the birds you get to hunt and the Quail are dearn near extinked (?) now.
But we have squirrells and deer and thats a lot of fun the seasons are long and the limits are liberal and just being a part of it means a lot to me...A.H

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well AH you ever make it to idaho and I'll take you on a bird hunt that will make you smile for weeks

·
Registered
275 Posts
You betcha I get the same feeling.I can't wait until the frost comes and I have to dress up to go outside.The Deer season opener for Bow is just a little over a month away and I am so ready.We have Dove and waterfowl seasons starting this week end in Indiana but I don't hunt them anymore.I'm like Arkie I spend most of my hunting time root-n around the woods for Squirrel and Deer.When those seasons end I like getting after the Coyotes in the real cold weather and then theres the spring Turkey season.Come to think of it,I like being out there all year long.You are right though,there is something very special about the fall hunting seasons and the time spent outdoors.Good luck to you and your boy and I bet he's going to love that new shotgun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't fish or play golf, so summertime is a real whippin' for me. But here in the late evening, there is now a certain coolness that means summer is winding down. Even the late afternoon light looks different than it did earlier in the summer.

September 1st is the opening day of dove season in Texas...well, at least for my part of the state. It is the official start to the various hunting seasons which won't end until the spring. This year I'm hunting over freshly harvested cornfields, with some wheat and sunflower fields mixed in for good measure.

Dove season to me is the release from the boredom that was summer. I like to hunt with first weekend with friends and family. The camaraderie of the dove fields is unique to hunting. In no other pursuit of wild game do you hear laughter when someone misses their target.

However, my favorite time to hunt doves is in October, when most of my fellow hunters are chasing deer with bows, or are getting ready for the general deer season. I like the October fields for their solitude. I also like to hunt the cold fronts because they push down those Kansas bombers.

Yeah, I would say I like this time of year. :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Quail here abouts have had to struggle because of the many feral cats and of course the hogs get to the nests quite often (another reason to hunt hogs) but Doves appear in good shape this year, as of course the Turkey fat & sassy. We have had an unusually cool summer (for us) never did hit a single day over 100 so we're hoping thats putting the critters into a roaming mood LOL

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
My wife laughs at me. Every year around September, I tell her I can smell gunpowder burning. The mind is a powerfull thing. I can actually smell it.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Yesterday My phone rang and it was my hunting buddy and he said he was takeing a weeks vaction next week. He ask me if I wanted to go Dove hunting at his hunting lease and of course i said YES so I will be doing some dove hunting next week.
Something I have'nt done in a few years.......

I'm going to take my new Mossberg 930 it has a 24" barrel. It only came with a turkey choke so I bought a full, modified and improved cylinder choke for it.

What's do yall think about useing the Full chock in this 24" barrel for Doves ??? I think it would work fine and if it did'nt I've got 3...12ga Remingtons to fall back on.

If it go's like our turkey hunted did when we hunted together last year, I want even need to take a gun LMAO.........
This feller is the friend with the ffl who ordered the CZ 82's for me and he has more calmatys than any one i know.
Please let me tell yall a story...This past Turkey season we had our 4 wheelers loaded on his long narrow trailor he built (he lives 2 houses down from mine) My alarm clock went off at 3:45 so I got up made a cup of coffee, got dressed and walked over to his back yard and stood by the trailor and waited. I walk back home and called to wake him up at 4:45. I walk back to his backyard and after a few minutes he comes flying around from the front of his house in his New Honda pick up truck, turns around and starts backing up to the trailor at a high rate of speed...LOL...He slowed down to late the hitch and the bumpper collided !!! This caused the front of the traylor to go down to the ground ( yes hollering for him to stop) I thought our hunting trip was over but all he did was fuss and cuss and say come on you got help me get this trailor up off the ground. After 15 minutes of trying to budge the trailor we were exhausted and just stood there looking at each other until I said lets try one more time but let me count to 3 and then we both lift and we did that, and it worked. So off we go to my familys land and lease's. No Turkey was to be found that day.

Idaho I'm sorry I highjacked your thread, that was very thoughtful of you to to offer to take me bird hunting if I'm ever in your neck of the woods. I'll see you in 2 weeks LOL...A.H

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Hey A.H. why didn't ya use the Pickup jack to help yew lift that there trailer tounge? Your mind too set on turkeys ??? LOL

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
trying to add acouple pics of sat morining. the first is the youngest with his new beretta and his first grouse (a little ruffie) the second is my oldest son with a big blue he shot

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
AH, I would use a choke a little less restrictive than a full. If I were you, I would go pattern some # 7.5's through your modified and improved at the distances you will be hunting at, and see what works best.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Idaho Dave,its good to hear that your boys and you had a good hunting trip for Grouse.The time spent afield with sons and daughters is special and insures that there will be future generations of hunters.
I bow hunted Idaho for Bear years ago and it seems that the name of the nearest small town was Mission Creek.It was located very near the canadian border.We had a good time there and the scenery was really something.I had a friend who lived on Priest Lake and he was the guy who took us hunting up in that area.I didn't get a Bear but it was a great trip and one I will never forget.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
lng rng When I got home I took the full choke out and put in the modified, when we went back tuesday I didn't get a chace to see what the Mossey would do with the modified choke because of the rain.
I'm impressed with the new gun so far though...A.H

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here's the pics (meaybe) Notice the scratch on the for arm of the new 20 gauge (ouch at least got that over with) that night my youngest told me he had way more fun then if he had stayed home playing video games, even if he only got one. He insisted that we keep his seperate then ours so he was sure that he got to cook and eat his own. I limited out shooting only the ones he missed every time he would say awsome dad that one didint get away.
since that day he has insited that he go every time we do, that is new for him he used to want to stay home. Add one more ******* to the ranks.
Musical instrument accessory Bird Feather Glove Beak

Vertebrate Bird Cap Feather Wing

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
What kinda big bird is that the Lad in the red shirt is holding ? A Grouse ?
Wouldn't take but 2 of them to feed a family. Nice pics !

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What kinda big bird is that the Lad in the red shirt is holding ? A Grouse ?
Wouldn't take but 2 of them to feed a family. Nice pics !

thats a blue grouse they are pretty big but not the biggest we have sage grouse here (not open yet) they are twice the size of those blues and spruce grouse

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Idaho count your blessings to have all the wildlife you have to hunt and your fortunit to have children to take along with you. I know they love to go.
My son is anti-hunting, though he's an expert shooter. I wish he would go hunting with me, but he want.
He doesn't care if others hunt, he's just not interested...A.H

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh belive me AH I am so thankful, as the wife and I took the boys out yesterday morning we were commenting how we had only seen about 6 other people hunting the entire weekend. Most of them were bow hunting. We saw 8 bucks 2 moose a few turkeys and countless does. That is why we moved out here. I make a lot less money then I would if we had stayed in the city, but money really dosent mean much if your not happy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts