Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
went out early this morning, hoping to beat the crowds, that didnt happen... all I really needed is some chicken breasts and ground beef, none to be found. they did have hot dog buns in stock and some of these really good locally made sausages on sale, 10 for $8, usually $1/pc. so I picked up 10 of em and froze half, thatll go well with all the cans of beans in the pantry.

there were putting some cans on the shelves as i was shopping, picked up a few. no produce or meat to speak of other than the sausage. no water. no paper or cleaning supplies.

It's not much worse than it was yesterday but not much better either.

I did my weekly shopping last Friday morning, it was uneventful...today I said to my mother in law that I was going to get a package of paper towels, eggs, sausage patties and rolls. OMG! it look like the store needed to be restocked in several areas....meat cutters were working overtime as are stockers... I saw the store Manager and he is a very nice guy... he asked me if I got everything that I needed and I said absolutely....he said that in all his 34 years he has never seen panic like what is going on now...there was no TP which we do not need my wife always buys certain items and shelves what we don't immediately need.

we got people driving up from Utah going through the stores now.

it's almost like a game at this point.

some lady come in and bought the entire convenience store out of milk then wanted to fist fight my wife for the gallon of milk she had already purchased and set in the back of the cooler.

I don't know how the lady planned on getting 12 gallons of milk the 150 miles back home without it going bad...
but whatever.

yesterday , just out of curiosity, I went into our local Winn Dixie. it was a mad house. the check out lines were all backed up. there was plenty of fresh produce but no potato's or onions. of course the t.p., paper towels, bleach and cleaning supplies were all gone. most off the name brand bread was gone but the store's bakery bread was in abundance. plenty of beer and although the water shelves were empty, there were stacks of bottled water in the aisle. the meat coolers reminded me of what I have seen in 3rd World grocery stores, empty. except strangely, there was plenty of pork.o_O I saw a few people with full carts or carts that were loaded up with one or two products but most carts looked "normal". I saw no fights or arguments. a couple of my friends also told me of what they saw in that store. one overheard a woman in the checkout line (with a very full shopping cart) talking to another woman. she told her that "we are going back up North in a few days but I want to make sure I have enough." another woman was wiping her whole body with the sanitary wipes the store provides by the door. people are nuts! I was glad I didn't have to buy anything and got out of there.

Here in Minnesota my city is in pure panic mode. Wally world is sold out of toilet paper, bottled water and meats. These people are hoarding everything. The Governor went on tv and closed all schools, bars, gyms, and restaurants. The grocery stores are on limited hours and any sit down food eatery is closed. Even the liquor stores are on limited hours. All businesses are closed and people are advised to not get into places where they can't maintain a personal space of 6 feet. I need to get out tomorrow and buy some more primers . Other then that I am set. This is scary in a way. I am waiting to see how long before people start shooting others for fear of this virus. As far as last seasons crops go some farms still have standing corn in the fields yet. Some farmers just plowed their crops over and are hoping for a better year.
Might see if you can work some kind of deal with those corn farmers. Get a grain mill and have lots of corn meal on hand. Just a thought.

yesterday , just out of curiosity, I went into our local Winn Dixie. it was a mad house. the check out lines were all backed up. there was plenty of fresh produce but no potato's or onions. of course the t.p., paper towels, bleach and cleaning supplies were all gone. most off the name brand bread was gone but the store's bakery bread was in abundance. plenty of beer and although the water shelves were empty, there were stacks of bottled water in the aisle. the meat coolers reminded me of what I have seen in 3rd World grocery stores, empty. except strangely, there was plenty of pork.o_O I saw a few people with full carts or carts that were loaded up with one or two products but most carts looked "normal". I saw no fights or arguments. a couple of my friends also told me of what they saw in that store. one overheard a woman in the checkout line (with a very full shopping cart) talking to another woman. she told her that "we are going back up North in a few days but I want to make sure I have enough." another woman was wiping her whole body with the sanitary wipes the store provides by the door. people are nuts! I was glad I didn't have to buy anything and got out of there.
Got a chuckle out of this. Those panic shoppers must have their eyes glued to the TV 24/7 and haven't figured out they don't need most of that junk.

I have a tub of those large chlorine pool tabs out back. It's about half full.

ONE of those would make gallons upon gallons of any kind of sanitizer. Or bleach. It's strong stuff.

Or sanitize several thousand gallons of water. Or you can boil it. Or simply drink the water out of your tap or well unless there's some form of contamination known. In fact, 'up north' (and anywhere but in the desert) there are abundant water supplies all around you if you are the kind of person who walks around with their eyes open. The only limitation might be putting it in some form of the thousands of containers usually available in ones' home.

Making ones' own bread used to be (and still is) a basic skill.

My wife's asian so she usually buys rice in those huge packages she asks me to load and unload. So no matter when the music stopped we've probably been knee deep in rice at any time over the last decade or so. I think we'll survive the run on rice if there is one to speak of.

I don't know WHAT these people are thinking. Or maybe they're not.

We have some isopropanol as well as some of that iodine solution for cuts and abrasions. Again it's way too strong for a sanitizer but if diluted goes a long way.

I sure don't know what everyone is going to do with all that packaged sanitizer. You can wipe your hands I guess while out in public but you touch zillions of things every day.

The GOOD thing about this whole thing is I suddenly remembered that multi-pound package of ground beef I'd bought on a deal several years back at the bottom of our deep freezer and have a good use for it now :) .

If this pandemic were Ebola quality, I would be worried. Once the initial scare wears off, it's going to go back to life as normal. We have plenty of food in the supply chain to get us past a little hickup like a two week shutdown. I think running out $h1t tickets is going to be the worst effect most people feel.
Actually it may be worse than Ebola for many reasons, in Italy it is killing about 7,000 per hundred thousand, the flu only kills about 2 per hundred thousand. The death rate is neat 10%, look at the number of who has it per test, how many dead, 10,000, how many recovered 87,000.that leaves about 143,000 infected results pending. https://www.bing.com/covid

Look at them closely for yourself. The numbers tell the real story. If your lady or husband gets it and they are in good health they have close to a 90% chance of living. If they are over 65 or have any issues, their chances go way down, quickly below a 50/50 chance.

California just issued a stay at home order. What about the illegals>? What about the 135,000 homeless people in California. Not being funny, just an observation. Going to really cause an issue for all those drive by shootings.

Actually it may be worse than Ebola for many reasons, in Italy it is killing about 7,000 per hundred thousand, the flu only kills about 2 per hundred thousand. The death rate is neat 10%, look at the number of who has it per test, how many dead, 10,000, how many recovered 87,000.that leaves about 143,000 infected results pending. https://www.bing.com/covid

Look at them closely for yourself. The numbers tell the real story. If your lady or husband gets it and they are in good health they have close to a 90% chance of living. If they are over 65 or have any issues, their chances go way down, quickly below a 50/50 chance.
What's to be seen though, is how many people who catch it need to go to the hospital? Based on numbers I found this morning, death to reported cases is about 4% world wide. For the flu, death to hospitalizations is a little over 5%. It's just that a wild majority of people who get the flu don't need any kind of medical attention for it. What percentage of people who catch Covid-19 have strong enough symptoms for them to seek medical attention? We don't know. If it turns out that everyone who gets it has to go to the hospital, this death rate is terrifying. I think it won't turn out that way though.

What's to be seen though, is how many people who catch it need to go to the hospital? Based on numbers I found this morning, death to reported cases is about 4% world wide. For the flu, death to hospitalizations is a little over 5%. It's just that a wild majority of people who get the flu don't need any kind of medical attention for it. What percentage of people who catch Covid-19 have strong enough symptoms for them to seek medical attention? We don't know. If it turns out that everyone who gets it has to go to the hospital, this death rate is terrifying. I think it won't turn out that way though.
Good point. At the Trump briefing this morning they said 20% of the people being hospitalized were in the 20-49 range I think. Here is a link to an article yesterday saying 40% of the people hospitalized are between 20 and 54. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...r-coronavirus-are-between-20-and-54-years-old

It is much worse than we thought. The NBC special on right now says only 5% of the people who get it must be hospitalized. I just heard that live at 9:20 on NBC. They are saying 40% of New York City will get it, that is 5% of 8 million or 400,000. I think they have 53,000 beds and Cuomo said he needs 110,000 new beds for the next 45 days. He also says the number needing hospitals are 23%, so the numbers are all over the map. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/cuo...ng-a-floating-hospital-to-new-york-state.html

Again, even in the best case scenario, more people than ever in history will likely die in the next few months. I am 100% disabled due to asthma and lung damage. Not taking much risk here.

California just issued a stay at home order. What about the illegals>? What about the 135,000 homeless people in California. Not being funny, just an observation. Going to really cause an issue for all those drive by shootings.
Ultimately unenforceable and will lead to civil unrest. I doubt Cali is prepared for the level this is likely to reach.

Ultimately unenforceable and will lead to civil unrest. I doubt Cali is prepared for the level this is likely to reach.
I think you are correct, they have been preparing for that big earthquake, but not for this. I think the Gov and leadership of California has thought they were the smartest people on the planet. This stuff humbles everybody. Prayer seems in order today.

heard today that all tourists are being told to leave and they are going to close the Key West airport in a few days. all hotels and vacation rentals are also to be closed.
You're probably in a good place. Too far for big city liberals to drive and too little for them to horde up and take home?

The liquor store is about the busiest place in town! They were restocked fairly well. I had gone in the other day and all they had was the top shelf and the bottom shelf. I do not think any gin is worth $47.
Have too agree, gin is a neutral spirit infused with herbs...we have Tanqueray, Boodles, Boothes, all good London Dry Gins and all under that Hendricks price!;)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.