Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recieved a Wards Western field 16ga. pump with a poly choke for a birthday around the 12th.

Many a boy hood trip to the woods and fields imprinted a love for the old shot gun into my soul to the point many a friend incouraged me to get rid of it and buy a 12ga.
I resisted even thought I had to make sure i had a good supply of ammo as I could not borrow from my 12 ga shooting friends.

Oct 20th 1970 opening day of Michigans duck season we had hunted all morning then after a mid day meal we went and started jump shooting ducks in different ponds in the woods.
All of a sudden the shot gun fired when i had shot and racked a new round in it. Maybe it was my fault so put the safty on and racked a new round in and it again fired with out a finger being on the trigger and saftey on.
Several years later I decided to tear it down and found a broken fireing pin. That would do it i am guessing.

But the shot gun right in the middle of Michigans hunting season needed replaced. Stoped at the closest gun shop to see what they had. A 12ga. pump model 500 with a poly choke went home with me.
With in a week it had a problem so I took it back to the gun shop they had to send it back to the factory for warranty repair. they didn't have a 12 or 16ga shot gun new or used in stock for me to keep hunting.

Next shop I stopped at had one 12ga mod choke shot gun a Itchaca model 37 feather weight. I bought it, took it home and cleaned it then to a friends house to shoot some informal trap. I broke 23 straight and it was instance love.

I got the model 500 back and never shot it again, gave it to my brother when he got out of the army. He hated it so traded it in for a sxs Ithace SKB

I still have my Ithaca 37 today and take it to the field at least once every season. It is my favorite shot gun even though I own several other shot guns 20ga and 12 ga.

Al

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad turned 83 and decided to stop hunting and even fishing. He decided to call the family together and had out his equipment. He had a Ithaca 37 20ga. mod choke I had bought for him on his 63d birthday so he would not have to use a old beat up single barrel.

He gave that to me so now I have it and my 12 ga.

Al

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
When I first started hunting I had a few single shot break open shotguns. In the late 1970's I upgraded to a Mossberg 500. I bought the slug barrel with sights. I took it deer hunting and first time it jammed on me. Got one shot off and second time was done. It put a bad taste in my mouth . I paid about $120 for it new then. Ii put it into a gun shop down the street and he repaired it. Ii got it back and sold it for like $75. It took me years to bring myself to buying another. Ii ended up buying a youth model and a full size for my two sons. They still have them and no issues. I ended up going back to my 1950's Montgomery Wards SxS 12 gauge for many more years. It is a smoothbore and killed so many deer with it using slugs. I still have it

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Mine would be a Remington 11-48 in 28ga that my grandfather used. He was gone by the time I was old enough to know him, both my grandfathers were. I've killed a lot of critters with that gun. Always amazed me how far I could make clean kills with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,533 Posts
Mine would be a Remington 11-48 in 28ga that my grandfather used. He was gone by the time I was old enough to know him, both my grandfathers were. I've killed a lot of critters with that gun. Always amazed me how far I could make clean kills with it.
It's the archer, not the arrow !!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts