Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article a while back at www.surplusrifle.com and they were showing how to mount a svd style mount on the m48. Of course doing totally altered the gun, but it looked pretty sweet, And they had a good groupings at 75 and 100yds. another place to go to if you want these scopes is www.kalinkaoptics.com. But, my question is why you would want to mess your mausers value (any mauser of course) by doing when you can get an Iron elite scope?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Because Iron elites sit high, thus costing more money for a cheek pad. Iron Elites are more heavy, and if droped beak easy. If you didn't check the time and date on the surplus rifle article (which was dated August 23 2003, He said they make S&K mounts that are perfect for M48s and doesn't alter the rifle, taking of the back sight isn't hurting the rifle to much or even at all! He was using a k98k Mount which has a lip that grooved into the wood thus he had to alter the rifle, the 48 mounts dont hurt the rifle at all, obviously you know because you've removed the back sight on your rifle to put Iron elite on. Ive spent many hours observing his articles and searching on many forums to pick the best non altering scope mount choice.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/scope/pdf/scope.pdf His posting

Those are the ones with the lip that drives into the wood.

And the Yugo Friendly Scope mount. Check your info before you make such posts.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,341 Posts
The M48 is a good candidate for scope mods, as it has no real 'collector value'. Most being imported here were assembled for the US market, and are not truly military rifles.
Mine is proving a very good shooter though, and I'm considering a scope mount for it.
One problem is the bent bolt handle - it still interferes with a top-monted scope, and requires a very high mount.
I do have a long eye-relief scope, and may try the scout mount on the rear sight base first. Some early German sniper Mausers used this type of scope mount.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats actuall ywhat I've got is a k98. but I found out thanks to some of the guys on here,it's worth some money to a collector. so I was thinking about getting a m48 when I get out of training form the air force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts