The Ultimate Mosin-Nagant Question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

How many of these rifles are enough? When is enough too much? Or, is there even such a thing?
    Only reason I'm asking is because I got to thinking about it last night while looking at my collection of them. Not that I was doubting my purchases, but I have had more than one person tell me I do the Mosin collecting to excess.
    What do you guys think?

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

THE SKYS THE LIMIT

no such aminal. get as many as you can afford, and store!!! when i bought my safe, i got the biggest available, cause i know it doesn't take long to fill it!!! just don't spend the rent and food money on them. like the Lottery says,"play responsibly." :nod: :rolleyes: :D

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Had a gunshow this weekend, and got a wiff of that ol' KGB Cosmoline . . . uh oh! Yep, another one added to the Arsenal! Nice pristine M44 Carbine. It dragged a cute Swiss K31 along, too. I need another gun locker!
    I'm up to six Mosins now. Now I need another carbine sling and dog-collars.

4. I sometimes respond about Moisins making it sound like I have an arsenal when, in fact, I am more into collecting the older foreign rifles and carbines.

My goal is to get as many of the 'olders' that are our there that I can.

That K31 is a dang good gun.......interesting looking and operating, if nothing else.

By far my most favorite shooter is the Carl Gustaf 1896 6.5 x 55.

When I first got it it shot a foot high at 100 yards (they are designed to be accurate at 300 yards out of the factory). After getting a front sight blank from Brownells and filing it done, it's deadly accurate and that isn't any exaggeration at all. It's the most accurate of all the 'olders' I have.

5. FEG

FEG Guest

Ask me when I have one of every variant from every country (plus a few "shooters")...

6. Doglips

Doglips Guest

I wont have "Enough" until Im listed as a "Armory" or Soviet Weapons wearhouse in the CIA's world fact book.....or untill ATF kicks in the door :)

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I read recently in a Brit gossip rag, they were horrifyed at a guy who had NINE guns! A "Huge Arsenal!" Mostly shotguns. Why would anyone need so many of those awful guns!?
    Heck, this guy was a light-weight, compared to most of us. I've got fourteen milsurps alone, and nineteen twentytwos.
    Now, I've gotta find a nice M38 carbine, and that holy grail - the SVT-40! I guess the new locker will become the Mosin Wing. ;)

8. Stewart

Stewart Guest

Big Dog, Check my post, "If I gotta go you are all coming too". There is a link to some sweet M-38's that are now available. I think this batch is in M-44 stocks which is still correct for late war M-38's, but these sure look nice.

9. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    You can only get More More More More.................................

10. Just when you think 'enough is enough' and you tell the wife, "OK, no more" you walk into somewhere and that next sweet thing becons to you like Homer's sirens of the virgins.

You say to yourself, "One day all these milsurp rifles will be bought up and gone. I've got to get it now while I can" and the vicious cycle continues.

11. MosinDave

MosinDave G&G Addict

Thought I'd bump this thread back up, it's hilarious! When do you have too many Mosins?

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Never !!!!! The only way you would have too many was if you bought everyone of them ever produced so I couldn't buy any for my collection ! LOL
    Rich

13. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    More,...more,...More,... uh oh uh hello... Yes you can have as many Mosins as you want.
    I think our friend and great Gun guy DANA has lots and lots of Mosins.
    I still just love them!
    Haveing our enemys military rifles in our homes just for personal enjoyment...

Priceless..........

14. There are six Mosins in my safe

And I know I'm in deep trouble, because now I'm assembling my own parts guns.

I have an M91 Finnish stock I bought and refinished just because nobody loved it and it needed a home, and I have a bubba'd 1915 Westinghouse M91 on the way to drop into it. Since the stock has been notched for one already, I'll have to pick up a sniper bolt, and that means the rifle won't look right without a scope, and....

Then, since the complicated part of the walnut stock is still there from the 1915, I'm planning to fingerjoint a billet of walnut to it, and turn it into a stock for one of my M39's (another sad orphan, one that came to me wearing a $59.95 synthetic stock--the poor thing looked like a weight lifter in a tutu).

"Troy's Mosin Rescue and Rehab," at your service. :rolleyes: :cool: :p