close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the underrated .410

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Most people in a gun store or shooting range talking about guns look down their collective noses at the .410. A major mistake in my book. A pump action loaded with slugs is more powerful than a .44 Magnum (let's look at the numbers...1/2 oz slug or 240 grains at 1800 to 1850 fps versus the .44 Magnum's 1150 to 1300 fps in the same grain weight payload from a 4 or 6 inch barrel). Not just that, but the .410 loses it's energy quicker (for those of you worried about overpenetration). And like most shotguns you can top it off if needed during a lull in the fighting. Oh and let's not forget that a grand jury or prosecutor isn't going to have the same initial reaction to the .410 that they will towards the .44 Magnum.
    If I'm wrong let me know...Any thoughts ?:fuss:

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    have one, like it, agree.

3. azeeb

azeeb G&G Newbie

anybody shot that new 410 winchester lever action? I think its called the model 9410.

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

My numbers are a little different, maybe they're wrong. They show the 410 as about the same energy as 44 Rem Mag in a pistol. In a rifle, my numbers say 44 Rem mag is has twice the energy. Maybe my numbers are from diverse sources, I dunno. The 410 load is in a 2.5" shell, maybe yours is a 3".

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

like I said... it's underrated

6. BattleRifleG3

I recently got a Chrony... And have a couple friends with both a 410 and a 44 Rem Mag. I'll try it out some time.

7. Logansdad according to past articles you are correct. Only the stuff I read said the 410 had almost twice the energy of the 44 mag at close range. I don't remember where I read this.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I just got tired of people talking about .410s like they weren't anything to be respected. They are an outstanding alternative for home defense. More short range power than a.44 Magnum at less than half the price (Mossberg pump around $250 as compared to a Smith 629 at around $500)

9. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

The Sellier & Bellot 00 or 000 buck loads aren't toys. I wouldn't want someone to shoot me with "just a .410" if the load was five 00 pellets.

10. ONLY A .410?

YOU SHOULD LOOK AT A THUNDER FIVE OR THE LADYS HOME COMPANION IN 45 LONG COLT (WILL TAKE .410 2.5 SHELLS ) NOT THE MOST HANDY BUT VERY EFFICTIVE. TRY THEM WITH 00 BUCK.
    DANA

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've always thought the Saiga .410 would make an excellent "home defense" weapon. Ledgendary AK reliability with less over-penetration. If the perp isn't wearing body-armor, he's toast. If he is, make it a head shot. Good for animal pests, too.

12. BattleRifleG3

They're available for $180 dealer price from www.cdnninvestments.com . I'm much more partial to a 12 or 20ga, (20 is $200, 12 is $300), but I've only heard good things about the Saiga 410.

13. PICS

THE THUNDER FIVE IS MARKED 45 LC/410. THE LADYS HOME COMPANION ALSO IS A HAND GUN SO IS ONLY MARKED 45LC SO AS NOT TO BE CLASSED AS A TOO SHORT SHOTGUN. COBRAY ALSO MAKES A 45/70 HAND GUN WHICH HAS A LONGER BARREL BUT STILL SHORT. A SMALL RUBBER BAND AT THE BASE OF THE SHOTSHELL WILL ALLOW THE USE OF A 410 SHOTSHELL IN THE 45/70. THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY .THE USE CAN PLACE YOU IN TROUBLE .ON THE OTHER HAND HOME DEFENCE MAY BE BAD ENOUGH TO BREAK THE RULES. YOUR CALL. AS TO THE SIAGA 410 IT IS ALL STAMPED PARTS BUT WE ALL KNOW HOW EFFECTIVE THE AK IS WITH STAMPED PARTS. THE SHOTGUN AS IT COMES IS A LITTLE UNHANDY BUT WITH SOME CHANGES IT SHOULD BE UP WITH THE OTHERS.
    DANA [​IMG]

14. BattleRifleG3

Wow... Are you saying that revolving cylinder thingy fires 45/70? I'd be much more interested in one of those than in using 410 in it.

15. Man is there any way to shrink the picture ? It's difficult to view this thread.

16. REPLYS

I AM NOT SURE HOW TO REDUCE THE PICTURES AND WILL ASK MY IS GROUP. THESE PICTURES SHOW THE LINE OF BASIC STREET SWEEPER SERIES.THE SHOTGUN IS A 12 GA. ANYONE WHO HAS ONE OF THESE AND DID NOT REGISTER IT WITH BATF LAST YEAR IS IN VIOLATION OF BATF RULES. THE SPAS 12 WAS ALSO INCLUDED IN THE REQUIRED REGISTRATION. THE TWO SMALLER FIREARMS ARE CLASSIFIED AS HAND GUNS. THE LEFT ONE IS THE 45/70 AND THE RIGHT ONE A 45 LC. THE 45/70 WOULD GO THRU ANY HOUSE WALL AND THEN SOME.
    DANA

[​IMG]

17. BattleRifleG3

Ok, now if a long cylindered 45 Colt revolver can take 410 shells, what about 45 Colts in a 410 shotgun?

18. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    I know a guy that tryied to shoot.45 long colt through a .410 mossberg, they wouldnt feed.
    I dont know what happend.

19. BattleRifleG3

DANA, I think you mean the USAS-12, not the SPAS-12. SPAS-12s are just banned from import or assembly under the "assault weapon" laws.

20. BATTLERIFLE G3

I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK UP THE PAPERWORK BUT YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT. IN ANY CASE ANYONE WITH THE USAS 12 OR A STRIKER HAD BETTER HAVE REGISTERED THEM.
    DANA